U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 08:28 AM

15,816 posts, read 23,854,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Seems to me the people most likely to have abortions are those who have options in their life, those who are trying to go to college, or already have a large family, or are in the midst of the key earning years in their career. In other words, not necessarily the poor.
Seems to me you are wrong. It is overwhelmingly the poor.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 09:01 AM

22,201 posts, read 13,751,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
I call BS to blaming it on the politicians. All who vote for them are aware of their stances on abortion..........
Throw the BS flag if you wish.
The instant replay will show my comments to be accurate: People reject personhood amendment and politicians took it upon themselves to find another way to close the abortion clinic without a popular vote.

NIGHTTRAIN CHARGED WITH TIMEOUT!

In all seriousness you have to be right. We, The People of Mississippi, put the dolts in their chairs in the Mississippi State Capitol, and we, The People, must live with our choices, poor though they may be.

Regarding which portion of the population - rich or poor - that have the most abortions: I'd really like to know and can't find any statistics. Anyone find anything that seems to be credible?

Old 02-19-2013, 10:36 AM

2,415 posts, read 3,981,725 times
It appears that the poor, "those living below the Fed poverty line," account for 40% of all abortions. I stand corrected.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:29 AM

8,284 posts, read 12,979,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelian View Post
That's sad. It's as if the state is a third-world country, apart from the rest of the U.S. It shouldn't be like that. This is the product of religious fanaticism.
Have you been to Mississippi? or a "third World country"? It would be very hard to tell the difference between the two.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:40 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,425,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Have you been to Mississippi? or a "third World country"? It would be very hard to tell the difference between the two.
I have been to a third world country. It was quite easy to tell between the two. People don't know how good they have it in America.... yes, even Mississippi.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:08 PM

22,201 posts, read 13,751,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
I have been to a third world country. It was quite easy to tell between the two. People don't know how good they have it in America.... yes, even Mississippi.
Amen, Bro.

Mississippi has an awful lot of good things going for it, not the least of which it is part of The United States. That means poverty in Mississippi is not nearly as painful as it would be somewhere else, or even some other time. Poverty in the 1920's meant going hungry. That is almost never the case now.

Poverty today means that you are largely dependent on various government programs for your needs. But you or your children still get to go to school, don't miss many meals, have access to health care through Medicaid, and can vote.

My work has taken me to 18 foreign countries and 49 states. America! It's better than you think.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:26 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,425,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Amen, Bro.

Mississippi has an awful lot of good things going for it, not the least of which it is part of The United States. That means poverty in Mississippi is not nearly as painful as it would be somewhere else, or even some other time. Poverty in the 1920's meant going hungry. That is almost never the case now.

Poverty today means that you are largely dependent on various government programs for your needs. But you or your children still get to go to school, don't miss many meals, have access to health care through Medicaid, and can vote.

My work has taken me to 18 foreign countries and 49 states. America! It's better than you think.
Whenever someone compares Mississippi to a third world country I immediately know they have never been to a third world country. In many instances paved roads, hot water, transportation, access to amenities and goods, the ability to make a decent living wage, and a more orderly government/law structure are taken for granted here in the US.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:36 AM

93 posts, read 204,470 times
Quote:
Throw the BS flag if you wish.
The instant replay will show my comments to be accurate: People reject personhood amendment and politicians took it upon themselves to find another way to close the abortion clinic without a popular vote.
My sentiments exactly!

Quote:
Regarding which portion of the population - rich or poor - that have the most abortions: I'd really like to know and can't find any statistics. Anyone find anything that seems to be credible?
The Guttmacher Institute has lots of statistics on abortion in the United States. For worldwide data, look to the World Health Organization. The WHO has the statistics by country.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:41 AM

93 posts, read 204,470 times
Quote:
If it exists (I have never heard of such a program) it is, indeed, a failure. And if it is a failure here, it is a failure everywhere.
I took it to mean the available sex education program in schools, which is indeed an abysmal failure everywhere. Schools can pick from "Abstinence only" or "Abstinence plus". Neither are acceptable IMO. Comprehensive sex ed, access to contraception, safe & legal abortion are the three things needed to reduce abortion rates. The WHO data bears this out.

And by 'access to contraception' I don't mean just having enough pharmacies around to dispense it. Low-income women need affordable doctor visits, affordable prescriptions, and none of these fundie extremist pharmacists who refuse to dispense the Pill.

Speaking of abysmal failures, I read a very depressing story last year about an increase in HIV among teenagers in Louisiana which is directly linked to their 'abstinence only' sex education. Sigh.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:57 AM

40 posts, read 66,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alluvial View Post
Comprehensive sex ed, access to contraception, safe & legal abortion are the three things needed to reduce abortion rates. The WHO data bears this out.
Yes, of course! Safe & legal abortion is a cornerstone of reducing abortion rates!

This might be the most ridiculous posting anywhere on the internet, ever.

Quote:
And by 'access to contraception' I don't mean just having enough pharmacies around to dispense it. Low-income women need affordable doctor visits, affordable prescriptions, and none of these fundie extremist pharmacists who refuse to dispense the Pill.
Using your logic towards "fundie extremist pharmacists", because some people feel that physician-assisted suicide is a perfectly logical solution means that ALL physicians must participate.

Quote:
Speaking of abysmal failures, I read a very depressing story last year about an increase in HIV among teenagers in Louisiana which is directly linked to their 'abstinence only' sex education. Sigh.
Sounds like you read it on the internet, because they can't put anything on the internet that isn't true. Bonjour!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi