U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 02:37 PM

93 posts, read 204,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandiK View Post
This clinic refuses to comply.
This is a complete fabrication. The clinic has applied for admitting privileges for its doctors. All of the area hospitals refused. It isn't the quality of the doctors, it's the stigma attached to abortion procedures which caused the hospitals to turn them down. And that stigma is caused by people who insist on bullying those who provide a LEGAL medical procedure.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 03:31 PM

22,129 posts, read 13,700,377 times
Alluvial's posts bring an important question:

As of today, does anyone know whether abortion may be legally performed in a doctor's office?

It used to be, way back in the "Leave It To Beaver" days, that the doctor did such things quietly. I don't know whether it is still allowed in Mississippi. From the sound of things on the web it is generally allowed, but I am not sure.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:34 PM

I suspect it is legal to perform abortion in a hospital here, since sometimes abortion is necessary to stop hemorrhaging in some cases of miscarriage. St. Dominic's won't do them, even for life-of-the-mother, as long as there is a heartbeat but that's for religious reasons. As I understand it, if a woman presents there with life-threatening miscarriage they have an agreement with another hospital to transfer her there.

I'm not sure if a doctor's office has the necessary equipment to do them, although I have heard of an OBGYN performing a D&C or D&E in their office in the past. It's also possible that a doctor's office would not satisfy the requirements of this new law.

It has also been legal to administer methotrexate in the case of ectopic pregnancy but I think that falls under the category of 'medical abortion'. I'm not sure how that would be affected by this law.

You might be able to find out from a site such as NARAL, or Center for Reproductive Choice.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:46 AM

797 posts, read 1,269,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alluvial View Post
I suspect it is legal to perform abortion in a hospital here, since sometimes abortion is necessary to stop hemorrhaging in some cases of miscarriage. St. Dominic's won't do them, even for life-of-the-mother, as long as there is a heartbeat but that's for religious reasons. As I understand it, if a woman presents there with life-threatening miscarriage they have an agreement with another hospital to transfer her there.

I'm not sure if a doctor's office has the necessary equipment to do them, although I have heard of an OBGYN performing a D&C or D&E in their office in the past. It's also possible that a doctor's office would not satisfy the requirements of this new law.

It has also been legal to administer methotrexate in the case of ectopic pregnancy but I think that falls under the category of 'medical abortion'. I'm not sure how that would be affected by this law.

You might be able to find out from a site such as NARAL, or Center for Reproductive Choice.
or Planned Parenthood.............the organization wants tax funding to push its abortion agenda

Old 02-25-2013, 10:05 AM

Abortions only count for about 3% of the services provided by Planned Parenthood. They even provide services for men. They do pap smears, cancer screenings, mammograms, etc.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:12 AM

26 posts, read 52,690 times
Jackson's PP does no mammograms. They do provide referrals - just like they provide referrals for abortion. In terms of revenues received, it might be eye-opening to see what proportion of their revenues derive from each of the services they supposedly provide.

Jackson's PP also, in the past, when presented with a young lady pregnant and asking for options, has stated that they only have info on the local abortion clinic - no other possibilities like pregnancy centers. This despite several of the MS pregnancy and women's health centers providing PP directly with website, brochure, and other info. Some of them have religious sponsorhip, some community help, some a combo - so this is a convenient excuse for PP to advertise and promote ONLY the abortion alternative while telling the woman nothing else is out there to help her. They can excuse this lack of actual counseling by refusing to 'promote' anything sponsored by a religion. Unfortunately it doesn't give their client a true picture of her alternatives, or even a way to contact any other service.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:11 PM

DIRECT from the PP SE Website:
'A Word about Crisis Pregnancy Centers...Crisis Pregnancy Centers are anti-abortion groups, often religious in nature and funding, disguised as abortion clinics. Their only goal is to stop you from having an abortion. Most are staffed by non-medical volunteers. Often located near legitimate health care providers or Planned Parenthood centers, these CPC's lure unsuspecting women with free pregnancy tests. Once inside, women are subjected to antiabortion propaganda, misinformation and intimidation in an attempt to prevent them from having an abortion.'

This is the type of "counseling" our tax dollars pay for. No attempt even to state that there are various solutions and various questions to ask when one find's oneself pregnant unwillingly - just a blanket statement that the PP way is 'good' and the pregnancy center way is 'bad' and will 'subject' a person to something they should not want. If you were in that situation would you like information, or would you like propaganda - and remember this is copied DIRECT from their website. Sound like a place where a pregnant woman will be helped - or a place where she will be judged?

The website less clearly states that the PP center in Hattiesburg (which is currently evidently the only one) does NOT do mammograms but provides referrals. Now, I believe PP does a very good job of testing for STDs and giving info on birth control - a valuable service, but one which is also available at state health departments throughout MS. But to claim that PP does mammograms is a bit disingenous.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:04 PM

SandiK, you do realize that the clinic in Jackson is NOT a Planned Parenthood clinic? So when you say "Jackson's PP" that is a meaningless term.

Here's an article with a graph about what Planned Parenthood clinics do:
Repost: What Planned Parenthood actually does, in one chart - The Washington Post

I wasn't specifically referring to the PP in Hattiesburg, but PP nation-wide. From their website:
Quote:
Planned Parenthood provides 585,000 Pap tests and nearly 640,000 breast exams each year, critical services in detecting cancer.

Planned Parenthood provides nearly 4.5 million tests and treatments for sexually transmitted infections, including HIV.
The "Crisis Pregnancy Centers" you mention are spreaders of mis-information. They tell women, for example, that abortion can cause breast cancer, which is false. And, several states have begun using taxpayer monies to fund them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandiK View Post
No attempt even to state that there are various solutions and various questions to ask when one find's oneself pregnant unwillingly - just a blanket statement that the PP way is 'good' and the pregnancy center way is 'bad' and will 'subject' a person to something they should not want. If you were in that situation would you like information, or would you like propaganda - and remember this is copied DIRECT from their website. Sound like a place where a pregnant woman will be helped - or a place where she will be judged?
This is fabulously ironic. It is the Crisis Pregnancy Center which subjects women to lies (such as the breast cancer link) and pressures women to refrain from terminating their pregnancies. I agree with you that woman need information, all the pros and cons, and if it is her choice to continue the pregnancy then that's what she should do. Also, if it is her choice to terminate, then that's what she should do. I'm all about informed choice. There is no answer which is best for everyone, since every woman, every situation and every pregnancy is different.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:50 PM

Default Thoughts?

Kermit Gosnell Guilty of 3 Murders, Could Face Death Penalty - US News and World Report

Any thoughts on how likely MS is to have something similar if we DO NOT stay in charge of abortion clinics and demand they meet at least the same standards other clinics have? Gosnell repeatedly sent folks off to hospital (or had his assistants put them in taxis) - and as others have pointed out, the hospitals have to receive them. But, had his state and city made sure he had admitting priv, that he was properly inspected, etc.? NO.

Hopefully our clinic is (while certainly not complying with current law) not like this chamber of horrors. But unless people are at least as concerned about women who do have these procedures as they are about other medical matters like plastic surgery or lipo, where does it end?

Old 05-15-2013, 08:43 AM

22,129 posts, read 13,700,377 times
Gosnell committed murder. He has to pay the price.

The abortion foes have won in Mississippi. If not closed already, our abortion clinic is doomed. Has nothing to do with inspections, safety, the color of the building, or any illegal carrying on. The state Legislature wanted in closed for ideological reasons. They won.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi