U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 03:54 PM

9,496 posts, read 16,364,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
In MS it takes a special school board vote to allow a non-abstinence focused sex ed class. (Mississippi School Health Policies - Mississippi Office of Healthy Schools) I'm guessing those folks would never get reelected so . . . . hmmm. Does anyone know of any school district that permits sex ed classes to deal with real prevention? Where I grew up, it's abstinence only, and I can't tell you how many girls had babies before marriage. All Southern Baptists too, I might add.
Honestly, this is mind-boggling to me. I wish teenagers would wait to have sex. I wish there were zero need for abortion. But I live in the real world. Let's prevent pregnancies from happening in the first place. But some aren't in favor of THAT either.

And to my new Mississippi "friend": thanks for the rep points -- I'll ignore the rude remark. Have a lovely day.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 04:50 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,169,562 times
Quote:
How do you propose MSians "tackle the problem" of teen pregnancy?
There are a bunch of ways to preach safe sex. I just don't think it's right to say that an abortion clinic should stay open just because there a bunch of teens getting pregnant. That's not why these types of clinics should be around.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:08 PM

33,987 posts, read 33,173,016 times
I am so impressed.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:32 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,549,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
There are a bunch of ways to preach safe sex. I just don't think it's right to say that an abortion clinic should stay open just because there a bunch of teens getting pregnant. That's not why these types of clinics should be around.
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but it's obvious that you don't understand the political and religious climate in the state. Most (all the schools I'm aware of) teach abstinence only. It requires a vote by elected officials to change that, and they won't be re-elected if they stand against the perceived current. That's why the clinic will likely be closed. The people who could change things and would like to see things change won't stick out their necks to do it. Issues change, but the underlying problems never do.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:55 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,169,562 times
Quote:
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but it's obvious that you don't understand the political and religious climate in the state. Most (all the schools I'm aware of) teach abstinence only. It requires a vote by elected officials to change that, and they won't be re-elected if they stand against the perceived current. That's why the clinic will likely be closed. The people who could change things and would like to see things change won't stick out their necks to do it. Issues change, but the underlying problems never do.
Never knew that. Thank you for informing me.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:26 PM

554 posts, read 574,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Honestly, I was surprised Mississippi hasn't outlawed abortion yet, and Alabama has.
No state has "outlawed" abortion. Access to abortion remains a constitutional right, subject only to restrictions imposed by the states. Some states restrict more than others. Many restrictions have been stricken after courts have found that they impose an undue burden on women seeking abortion, and otherwise fail to comply with the Constitution. No state can outlaw abortion prior to viability, which is generally accepted as being at around weeks 20-21.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-squared View Post
I don't consider Mississippi's opposition to abortion a sign of backwardness at all. More and more Americans are coming to believe that abortion is murder, and is wrong. Therefore, Mississippi happens to be on the leading edge of popular opinion and cultural change on this issue.
What planet are you on ? The 40th anniversary of Roe v. Wade was this past January 22, less than a week ago. Apparently you didn't see this:
NBC/WSJ poll: Majority, for first time, want abortion to be legal - First Read

Old 01-28-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Honestly, this is mind-boggling to me. I wish teenagers would wait to have sex. I wish there were zero need for abortion. But I live in the real world. Let's prevent pregnancies from happening in the first place. But some aren't in favor of THAT either.

And to my new Mississippi "friend": thanks for the rep points -- I'll ignore the rude remark. Have a lovely day.
I hate to tell you, but if two kids wanna have sex, they're going to. Nothing you say, preach, dictate, impose, legislate, or command is going to make a difference. The only way to prevent pregnancy is to show teens how to have sex safely: with a condom. Period. If you're working on another theory, you get a failing grade.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:54 PM

40 posts, read 66,998 times
I'm not going to engage in "polling data combat", because I can just as easily find polls that support my position as anyone else can to support theirs. And please, don't use ad hominem attacks like "most rational people agree with me" when making your point.

To all you fools who think the government can't tell you what you can and cannot do with your body, WAKE UP! Why can you not legally smoke marijuana? It's your body, and you have a right to do with it what you please. NOT.

Why is prostitution illegal? It's your body, and you have a right to do with it what you please. NOT.

Why can you not have one of your kidneys removed and sold to someone who needs a kidney? It's your body, and you have a right to do with it what you please. NOT.

Wait until ObamaCare is fully implemented. Fat people and smokers will be subject to higher premiums in their exchanges. It's your body, and you have a right to do with it what you please. NOT.

In many states, next time you hop on a motorcycle, just leave that helmet at home. It's your body, and you have a right to do with it what you please. NOT.

There is a 100% effective way to avoid unwanted pregnancy, and that is abstinence. Why should people who object to abortion for any reason have to tolerate it in their society for the sake of women who are unwilling/unable to control themselves sexually? I am not talking rape or incest, I am talking about the women who choose to behave in a way they KNOW may result in a pregnancy, when they can just as easily choose not to.

Why do people from outside MS even care whether abortion is available here? That is a rhetorical question and no response is required/desired.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-squared View Post
Why should people who object to abortion for any reason have to tolerate it in their society for the sake of women who are unwilling/unable to control themselves sexually?

AND

Why do people from outside MS even care whether abortion is available here? That is a rhetorical question and no response is required/desired.
Your first question answered: Because what some stranger of a woman does with her body is none of your g'damn business.

Your second question answered: Because someone needs to tell you the answer to the first question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi