U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-28-2013, 11:11 PM
 
554 posts, read 573,819 times
Reputation: 695

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-squared View Post
To all you fools who think the government can't tell you what you can and cannot do with your body, WAKE UP! Why can you not legally smoke marijuana? It's your body, and you have a right to do with it what you please. NOT.

Why is prostitution illegal? It's your body, and you have a right to do with it what you please. NOT.

Why can you not have one of your kidneys removed and sold to someone who needs a kidney? It's your body, and you have a right to do with it what you please. NOT.
The difference is ... abortion has been made a constitutionally-protected right. So yes, it's HER body, and if SHE wants to terminate the pregnancy, she CAN.

Is the Supreme Court, in the near term, going to reverse Roe v. Wade ? NO. So sorry to break that news to you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-28-2013, 11:31 PM
 
Location: Denver
15,808 posts, read 23,823,055 times
Reputation: 11788
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
So just because a place has a high teen pregnancy rate means it should have more abortion clinics? C'mon, tackle the source of the problem. Don't resort to forgiving teen pregnancy by terminating pregnancies.
Yes becuase I grew up in the Catholic church and was taught abstinence, I magically don't have sex because I'm not married.
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-squared View Post
I don't consider Mississippi's opposition to abortion a sign of backwardness at all. More and more Americans are coming to believe that abortion is murder, and is wrong. Therefore, Mississippi happens to be on the leading edge of popular opinion and cultural change on this issue.
No. Most anti-abortionists are the same ones who are against supporting those same babies when they receive WIC, welfare, and food stamps.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2013, 07:09 AM
 
2,319 posts, read 4,545,432 times
Reputation: 2101
Did you see this part of the article the OP linked:

Quote:
The department also noted that the clinic had too few parking spaces available. State regulations require the clinic to be "located in an attractive setting with sufficient parking space provided." The department told the clinic to submit a plan within 10 days showing how it would correct the parking situation. The clinic's parking lot holds fewer than 20 cars.
It's very obvious what the agenda is. I think it's ridiculous to close down a clinic that does save lives. Yes, that's right. Heard of ectopic pregnancy? A friend of mine from HS is an OBGYN in NE MS, and she's had to send patients there for abortions to save the mother's life. I guess it's no skin off antiabortionists' backs if these women are forced to drive to TN, AL, or LA for the procedure. A procedure that is emotionally horrible for them. Let's add stigma. I have no idea how many abortions are performed there for rape or incest, especially when victims will lie out of shame or guilt.

Of course, most abortions don't fall into these categories. That's what most antiabortionists rave about. The problem is you don't have a right to dig into every woman's medical file to discover the reason for her abortion. You can outlaw abortion. You can make it difficult for doctors to perform them. You can shut down clinics. BUT! you will never eradicate abortions, and some small subset of the female population will die without access to them. Perhaps their lives are not as important?

MS already has the strongest antiabortion laws in the country. The citizens voted down the Personhood Amendment last fall. The majority of the citizens do not want to ban abortions uniformly or to flatly deny the morning after pill to all women. I was in the state all summer and into the fall and witness the vitriol over this Amendment. It gave me hope that things are changing. I hope that will translate into leaving that clinic alone.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2013, 08:20 AM
 
Location: Somewhere flat in Mississippi
10,062 posts, read 11,612,490 times
Reputation: 7168
Do states with the most "liberal" abortion laws necessarily have the best quality of life for women and children?

Maybe New York Governor Andrew Cuomo is more to your taste:

Scout.com: Cuomo

This thread needs to be locked down.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2013, 10:27 AM
 
Location: Denver
15,808 posts, read 23,823,055 times
Reputation: 11788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Do states with the most "liberal" abortion laws necessarily have the best quality of life for women and children?

Maybe New York Governor Andrew Cuomo is more to your taste:

Scout.com: Cuomo

This thread needs to be locked down.
Seems they have less women with 9 kids absorbing welfare.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2013, 01:46 PM
 
Location: Johns Island
2,405 posts, read 3,972,675 times
Reputation: 3523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
This thread needs to be locked down.
Why? Although heated, the discussion has remained quite civil.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2013, 02:57 PM
 
Location: Jackson County, MS
40 posts, read 66,957 times
Reputation: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Seems they have less women with 9 kids absorbing welfare.
Using your logic, children who are guilty of no crime should receive the most severe punishment humanly possible merely because they MIGHT become a burden on society? After all, none of them have the potential to be the next Albert Einstein, Enrico Fermi, or Jonas Salk, right? Better that they should be killed now to avoid possible future problems, right?

Although I do not agree with the SCOTUS interpretation and decision in "Roe v Wade", it is the law of the land and I accept that. How each state regulates the abortion industry has been (thankfully) left up to individual states, and if people do not agree with how it is done here in Mississippi they are free to leave the state.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2013, 04:12 PM
 
Location: Atlanta & NYC
6,616 posts, read 13,159,563 times
Reputation: 6651
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Yes becuase I grew up in the Catholic church and was taught abstinence, I magically don't have sex because I'm not married.
When the hell did I say to preach abstinence?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2013, 06:28 PM
 
554 posts, read 573,819 times
Reputation: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-squared View Post
Using your logic, children who are guilty of no crime ...
Here's where your argument starts to go awry. A fetus is not a child. It's a tangle of cells and tissue that cannot live outside the womb.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2013, 08:18 AM
 
Location: Somewhere flat in Mississippi
10,062 posts, read 11,612,490 times
Reputation: 7168
Many people have and will write much more eloquently than I possibly can about the evils of abortion. I will not waste any more time arguing about it here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top