U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-30-2013, 08:36 AM
 
Location: Mississippi
314 posts, read 1,057,715 times
Reputation: 436

Advertisements

After having read the commentaries from the out-of-staters who seem to feel their thoughts are of value on this regional issue, I feel compelled to offer my own take on the abortion issue here in Mississippi. I truly think that hose who find abortion to be a womans choice should take every opportunity to abort. Encourage your friends and like-minded individuals to do the same. I do not share your belief, but as long as you don't pay for it with my tax money, I think you should be permitted to do whatever you like.

Inside two generations there shouldnt be any of you morons left.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-30-2013, 09:46 AM
 
Location: Chattanooga, TN
2,968 posts, read 4,738,982 times
Reputation: 4838
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandiK View Post
Of the 3 abortionists who work at the clinic, only one has hospital admitting privileges and he has not kept them up to date. He is also the one who only occasionally attends. The other two, when a patient 'goes sour' and needs to be hospitalized, cannot admit the patient. She is obliged to get to the hospital and find another physician to take care of her - who may or may not know what has happened to cause her problem. The state legislature thinks that women who are receiving this kind of care deserve to have the same quality medical care as those having other elective procedures. For instance, a dr. in our state can't do a tummy tuck outpatient unless he/she can guarantee to be able to admit that patient if there are problems. The abortion clinic has refused to comply with the law. Hopefully they will soon be closed if they cannot get drs who are able to admit to at least one of the local hospitals. Regardless how one feels about abortion there is no excuse for not demanding that all clinics play by the same rules and keep their patients safe.
This is absurdly one-sided and wrong. The reason the doctors don't keep up their admitting privileges is because the local hospitals won't let them. Could you imagine the reaction of the Board of Trustees of the local St. Dominics, Baptist, or Methodist hospitals when their major donors found out a *gasp* baby killer had the right to perform surgery at their hospital?

So as it is, if something goes sideways during a first-trimester abortion, the only choice the doctor has is to call an ambulance and tell the paramedics what happened. He is not allowed to accompany the patient to the hospital.

For the record, I believe that life begins at about the end of the first trimester, which is when measurable brain waves can be detected in the fetus. This is the definition of death (lack of brain waves), and it also works as the definition of life. Mississippi's current laws agree with this.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2013, 11:07 AM
 
Location: Somewhere flat in Mississippi
10,062 posts, read 11,630,562 times
Reputation: 7168
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
This is absurdly one-sided and wrong. The reason the doctors don't keep up their admitting privileges is because the local hospitals won't let them. Could you imagine the reaction of the Board of Trustees of the local St. Dominics, Baptist, or Methodist hospitals when their major donors found out a *gasp* baby killer had the right to perform surgery at their hospital?
Isn't there a "secular" hospital in Jackson - Hinds General?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2013, 01:48 PM
 
Location: Floribama
18,487 posts, read 39,480,010 times
Reputation: 17964
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenfatt View Post
After having read the commentaries from the out-of-staters who seem to feel their thoughts are of value on this regional issue, I feel compelled to offer my own take on the abortion issue here in Mississippi. I truly think that hose who find abortion to be a womans choice should take every opportunity to abort. Encourage your friends and like-minded individuals to do the same. I do not share your belief, but as long as you don't pay for it with my tax money, I think you should be permitted to do whatever you like.

Inside two generations there shouldnt be any of you morons left.
Just because someone is for a woman's right to choose, doesn't mean that they encourage abortions. There are times when an abortion may be necessary, like when the health of the mother is in question, or when a woman is raped, or when there may be some problem with the baby's development (not every woman is capable of being the parent of a disabled or mentally handicapped child).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2013, 01:55 PM
 
Location: Johns Island
2,415 posts, read 3,981,725 times
Reputation: 3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Isn't there a "secular" hospital in Jackson - Hinds General?
University of Mississippi hospital (UMMC)
Central Mississippi hospital (CMMC)
River Oaks has a chain of hospitals in the area

All three rejected the abortionists attempts to get priviledges.

UMMC said "The medical staff of University Hospital is only accepting applications from physicians who are employed faculty of University of Mississippi Medical Center."

River Oaks and CMMC - both owned by the HMA conglomerate. Each of these hospitals responded with similarly worded letters citing the hospitals' abortion policies and concerns about "internal and external disruption of the hospital's function and business within this community."

There are no other secular hospitals in the area. The religious hospitals, non-Catholic hospitals, rejected them outright. They simply would not send an application, even when asked.

As I said before, admitting privileges is an administrative boondoggle having nothing to do with patient care. It was a brilliant move by the anti-choice folks, but I doubt the courts will let stand a ruling that, while not directly outlawing abortion, has the same effective result.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2013, 07:02 PM
 
554 posts, read 574,347 times
Reputation: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenfatt View Post
After having read the commentaries from the out-of-staters who seem to feel their thoughts are of value on this regional issue ....
First, it's not a "regional" issue. A woman's right (yes, her constitutional right) to obtain medical abortion services should not depend on where she lives; it should not depend on the small minds and Victorian moral values of others who do not know her. Why should a woman who lives in New York state (or any other state) have more access to a constitutional right than women who live in Mississippi ? Of course, Mississippi women of means will travel to get what they need, leaving poor women (who are usually of color) to bear the burden of unwanted children and the scorn of their supposedly Christian neighbors.

Second, and more importantly, why is it that on this state board, more than any other, residents fiercely complain of "outsiders" who "seem to feel their thoughts are of value" on supposedly "local" issues ? This is the same complaint that was made when "out-of-staters" came to Mississippi in the Freedom Summer of 1964 to register black voters and organize the Freedom Democratic party. Back then, of course, the insular, close-minded, and bigoted white proletariat of Mississippi, wanting to protect their sacred way of life (i.e., keeping the Negro in his place), committed violence against many people, including three young men who wound up with bullets in their heads and fans tied around their bodies to sink them to the bottom of a pond.

Mississippi was wrong then, just like it's been wrong on so many things since then. It's a vicious cycle: poorly educated, unengaged, and insular communities, who can't accept that others don't share their values, morals, beliefs, and practices, attempt to coerce those others by twisting the law, invading people's privacy, and committing acts of violence.

"Outsiders" have every right ... even a duty ... to present the opposing point of view. The fact is, Mississippi is getting left behind. The world is changing, and Mississippi needs to change as well. America is not the homogeneous, white, Judeo-Christian entity that it once was (if it ever was, really). You're certainly entitled to your religious beliefs down there (and let's be honest ... the objections to abortion are, to a very great degree, based on religion), but stop forcing others to live by your beliefs. At some point, you really have to accept this about abortion (and gay marriage, too): that it's none of your business.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2013, 07:25 PM
 
Location: Johns Island
2,415 posts, read 3,981,725 times
Reputation: 3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelian View Post
First, it's not a "regional" issue. A woman's right (yes, her constitutional right) to obtain medical abortion services should not depend on where she lives; it should not depend on the small minds and Victorian moral values of others who do not know her. Why should a woman who lives in New York state (or any other state) have more access to a constitutional right than women who live in Mississippi ? Of course, Mississippi women of means will travel to get what they need, leaving poor women (who are usually of color) to bear the burden of unwanted children and the scorn of their supposedly Christian neighbors.

Second, and more importantly, why is it that on this state board, more than any other, residents fiercely complain of "outsiders" who "seem to feel their thoughts are of value" on supposedly "local" issues ? This is the same complaint that was made when "out-of-staters" came to Mississippi in the Freedom Summer of 1964 to register black voters and organize the Freedom Democratic party. Back then, of course, the insular, close-minded, and bigoted white proletariat of Mississippi, wanting to protect their sacred way of life (i.e., keeping the Negro in his place), committed violence against many people, including three young men who wound up with bullets in their heads and fans tied around their bodies to sink them to the bottom of a pond.

Mississippi was wrong then, just like it's been wrong on so many things since then. It's a vicious cycle: poorly educated, unengaged, and insular communities, who can't accept that others don't share their values, morals, beliefs, and practices, attempt to coerce those others by twisting the law, invading people's privacy, and committing acts of violence.

"Outsiders" have every right ... even a duty ... to present the opposing point of view. The fact is, Mississippi is getting left behind. The world is changing, and Mississippi needs to change as well. America is not the homogeneous, white, Judeo-Christian entity that it once was (if it ever was, really). You're certainly entitled to your religious beliefs down there (and let's be honest ... the objections to abortion are, to a very great degree, based on religion), but stop forcing others to live by your beliefs. At some point, you really have to accept this about abortion (and gay marriage, too): that it's none of your business.
I'm not one to completely quote such a long post, but this was excellently written, and deserves to be copied as it stands.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2013, 07:28 PM
 
554 posts, read 574,347 times
Reputation: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
I'm not one to completely quote such a long post, but this was excellently written, and deserves to be copied as it stands.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Why thank you. I appreciate the compliment.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2013, 09:51 PM
 
Location: Jackson County, MS
40 posts, read 66,998 times
Reputation: 92
It is a regional issue. Until ObamaCare is fully implemented and the entire health care system is federalized, states still have the authority and responsibility to regulate and license their medical personnel and facilities.

Your Constitutional argument is very weak. I can carry a concealed firearm in Mississippi, but I cannot in some other states/places, like the progressive utopia called New York City. The right to bear arms is quite specifically spelled out in the Constitution whereas a woman's right to kill an unborn child is based on an interpretation of the right to privacy. It is certainly within Mississippi's right to regulate the abortion industry as they see fit.

You are, quite stupidly, trying to drag racism into this. Why is it that when people have differing opinions than yours, they are racists?

You're certainly entitled to your abortion beliefs in Houston, but stop forcing others to live by your beliefs. <====That is the final lines of your latest post, turned around and pointed right at you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2013, 10:52 PM
 
554 posts, read 574,347 times
Reputation: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-squared View Post
It is a regional issue. Until ObamaCare is fully implemented and the entire health care system is federalized, states still have the authority and responsibility to regulate and license their medical personnel and facilities.

Your Constitutional argument is very weak. I can carry a concealed firearm in Mississippi, but I cannot in some other states/places, like the progressive utopia called New York City. The right to bear arms is quite specifically spelled out in the Constitution whereas a woman's right to kill an unborn child is based on an interpretation of the right to privacy. It is certainly within Mississippi's right to regulate the abortion industry as they see fit.

You are, quite stupidly, trying to drag racism into this. Why is it that when people have differing opinions than yours, they are racists?

You're certainly entitled to your abortion beliefs in Houston, but stop forcing others to live by your beliefs. <====That is the final lines of your latest post, turned around and pointed right at you.
States are not entitled to extinguish a constitutional right via a licensing scheme with a transparently false premise; your own governor has stated that his goal is to eliminate abortions entirely in Mississippi. The rationale for the licensing scheme is thus a bald-faced lie; Judge Jordan's injunction undoubtedly will be extended, and the federal courts will uphold it. "As they see fit" ?!? NO. As the Constitution permits ... something your state never gets right.

I never said one word about racism. I never called anyone a racist. I simply pointed out that the burden of Mississippi's abortion "regulations" falls squarely on the underclass, which in Mississippi is comprised largely of black folk. [Mississippi has the largest percentage of blacks among the states; 37.3% of the population is black. Yet, 42% of all blacks live in poverty in Mississippi, as opposed to only 15% of whites. Source: Poverty Rate by Race/Ethnicity - Kaiser State Health Facts.] You appear to be the one who is "quite stupidly" accusing me of being a racist for stating simple, documented facts. Like Mississippi being dead last in median household income, first in number of people below the poverty line, first in infant mortality (i.e., the most babies dying), and first in percentage of babies born at low birth weight. With stats like those, Mississippi deserves to have "outsiders" come in and run it. If the state were run like a corporation, your CEO and board of directors would be out. Hell, you'd be in bankruptcy court.

I don't have beliefs about abortion. I believe in the rule of law, and that the rule of law should apply everywhere, not just in Houston ... unlike someone like you, who believes that people should live their lives based on your biblical worldview. Just tell me, because you haven't yet: what business is it of yours if a woman wants to have an abortion in the first trimester ??? I'm waiting .....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top