Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 07:30 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,109,702 times

Advertisements

Highland Village is very nice. The Whole Foods is currently under construction next to Highland Village. You can't really miss it from I-55 North at Northside Drive exit. Some of the better stores include expensive ladies store Maison Weiss and upscale outdoor outfitter Buffalo Peaks and several of Jackson's best restaurants are there including Char and Bravos.
- Across the interstate is Banner Hall, with beautiful Lemuria bookstore and Broad Street Baking Company. Your description of north Jackson being unsafe isn't accurate. A drive through the opulent Eastover neighborhood, buzzing Fondren, and the bustling medical centers and colleges along North State Street and ultra-charming Belhaven neighborhood make for a wonderful quality of life. Even downtown has begun to restore old buildings into apartments. Several major streets including Fortification St and Capitol St are currently under construction to become charming and walkable areas for shops and restaurants. It's far from perfect but the Jackson area offers a really nice quality of life because of the livable size, nice location close to New Orleans and Coast, sunny if humid weather, and very nice, polite and sociable people. There are also very good schools such as St. Andrew's, intellectual and top of the line, and Millsaps which offers the ideal college experience for a lifelong friends and caring and stimulating and committed professors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 10:23 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,166,603 times
I like shopping at Highland Village. I feel perfectly safe in this part of North Jackson! I really enjoy the feel of the atmosphere there. Two of my favorite shops there are High Cotton and Maison Weiss. My husband loves Buffalo Peaks and he likes to buy clothing for work at the men's shops, but we don't do well shopping together so I can't remember the names off of the top of my head. They also have some great restaurants as the previous posters have mentioned. I also love visiting Lemuria and Broad Street in Banner Hall. I also feel safe shopping in the boutiques in Fondron, and I even have a doctor that has an office there. I would not live there just because of all of the car thefts and such, but I would not be worried about violent crime in the area. I went to undergraduate college at Belhaven, and I absolutely loved it down there. I lived in an apartment with some friends, and even though all of our cars were broken into multiple times (and one girl had her's stolen) I never felt unsafe as far as violent crime. I would not live down there now for the same reason I would not live in Fondron. There are just too many break ins and car thefts. However, I still frequent the shops and restaurants in the area quite often. You just have to know where you can go and where you are better off not going. Every city is like that.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:34 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,771,788 times
Here's a little tidbit I just stumbled upon, which may serve to illustrate why merchants might wish to move out of Jackson. It involves the Karen Irby accident, which, because of it's rather spectacular nature and particularly horrible outcome, is very well documented. From the linked article: " 3. After the 911 call was made, 20 minutes passed before anyone from JPD or JFD showed up, even though there are two fire stations only a few blocks away. " This was on Old Canton Road, a primary thoroughfare in the best quadrant of town. The severity of the accident, plus the resulting enormous ball of flame, would surely trigger the city's fastest possible response. Twenty minutes? Surely, people in the adjacent apartment communities would have made multiple calls. Twenty minutes? How long would it take for a police response to a mere shoplifter or suspicious loiterer? Jackson Jambalaya: No title for this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi