Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2013, 06:58 PM

2 posts, read 3,448 times

Advertisements

Looks like our office has been offered Jackson to relocate with AT&T downtown Jackson. I have read so many negative things and I am seriously concerned. We all live in Georgia now, a northern suburb of Atlanta, and we are used to traffic, crime on the news, etc. I just want the truth about downtown area, which I know our building has been renovated, but where to live, single people, families, etc. I saw some beautiful pictures online of the city and hope they are accurate as I truly believe Southern people are the best! I have one son who lives in Europe and he is always asked, "You are not like most Americans we meet, why?" His reply is "I am from the South, where manners and kindness are things that are taught from birth", and to not do so, would be a disgrace to my family!

I am just looking for info on areas to live, downtown, outlying areas. Quality of life, as in food, big, big, consideration, for local places to shop for organic, free range, community involvement and most of all, safety!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 07:49 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,110,072 times
Not to worry...there are many lovely areas all over the Jackson area. Downtown is safe. Check out the restaurant reviews on Yelp. The best rated restaurant is Parlor Market which is a few doors down from AT&T on Capitol Street and those reviews are raving. ..with most people saying it seems like a place that should be in Manhattan.

For places to live that are as safe as say Alpharetta, GA, most people look at Madison, Brandon, and the Reservoir area. These are Madison and Rankin counties which are pretty much universally safe, in fact with the lowest crime rates in Mississippi.

A Whole Foods is currently under construction in north Jackson at Highland Village but there are other stores around town already.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:08 AM

2 posts, read 3,448 times
Thanks for the info! I keep hearing people say don't dare go out at night in downtown! I read about Whole Foods, which I love. I live about 10 minutes from Alpharetta now, so very good reference.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:10 PM

62 posts, read 145,970 times
Find a new job if you can.

If not, look at the surrounding eastern areas of Jackson: Madison, Pearl, Flowood, Brandon.

There is nothing going on in downtown Jackson. Everything has left and moved east. All the shopping, dining, entertainment, is in the four aforementioned towns. There are a few bars downtown that are fun to go to every now any then, but nothing similar to Atlanta on any other medium-large city. Downtown is a ghost town.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:11 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
You'll do fine, Kitty. There are plenty of good people and plenty of good places to live.

Your career is important. Accept what has been offered and rise to the challenge. There are many people who wish they had your career.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:54 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,110,072 times
People go out downtown all the time. The art museum and symphony are very active and there are several popular restaurants and music places. Tons of people go to church downtown. Nearby Fondren near the university medical center is busy with restaurants. Bit by bit downtown and neighboring areas are building back.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:15 PM

159 posts, read 263,700 times
If you can afford a nice suburb in Georgia you should be fine finding a safe place to live in Jackson, but just like all state Capitols there are some places to avoid, especially at night!!!!

Old 04-20-2013, 09:29 PM

12 posts, read 19,640 times
You'll be fine working in downtown Jackson! Just be vigilant as you would in any city. As far as safe areas to live in, I would go with Madison, Ridgeland, Brandon, or the Reservoir area. The prices can be a little higher in these areas, but you are paying for your personal safety and hopefully a greater distance from the Jackson crime. Good luck! You'll love our Southern hospitality

Old 04-26-2013, 10:44 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Downtown Jackson is actually surprisingly well kept and pleasing to the eye. The main problem with downtown is the roads! The roads in Jackson, ESPECIALLY downtown are almost 3rd world! They are so ridden with potholes i'm almost positive my car is alignment after taking one trip downtown.

The inner city areas surrounding downtown are pretty rundown and blighted. I would avoid those areas. Many businesses have fled the city limits due to its high crime rates, higher property taxes, and deteoriating areas. The surubs of Jackson are flourishing. Madison, Ridgeland, Flowood, Brandon, and Pearl are all very nice towns renowned for their safety and positive attitudes. Many people who live in the suburbs commute to downtown, where many of the high paying jobs are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi