Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 02:59 AM

455 posts, read 1,131,317 times

Advertisements

Hi y'all I have been recently offered a decent job located in Brandon I would be moving from the atlanta area to work there. Now my concern would have to do with the fact that i am a gay man and whether that would pose a "problem" in a city like brandon?

I don't flaunt my sexuality but the truth is anyone who's talked to me for more than 5 minutes somehow seems to guess that I am indeed gay (i guess i'm a lot more butch in my head). Are there any neighborhoods you can perhaps recommend that i should check out that would be more "open minded"?

My partner has no plans as of yet to move down with me if i do accept the position but i assume/hope he will be visiting and spending a good deal of time with me there.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 02:47 PM

74 posts, read 171,571 times
Run screaming like your hair is on fire from the job offer. If you're even remotely gay-ish to the native Mississippi population they'll sacrifice you to their god in hopes that he'll cure your gay disease after you get through the pearly gates.

Cavemen. Whattya gonna do, ya know? They don't understand what they're doing so we can't hold it against them.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:26 PM

26 posts, read 55,450 times
I have dozens of openly gay male friends and I'm an old delta lady. People here are generally surface polite. You will encounter a few who are opposed to your lifestyle or nature - they will avoid you. There are at least 10 churches in the Jackson/Brandon/Madison/Ridgeland area who welcome gay members, there is a Unitarian Church, Episcopal outreach for young people, several Protestant, several theaters, an arts community. I'd suggest looking in the Belhaven or Fondren neighborhoods (Jackson off-downtown) for a rental or taking something short-term rental to start until you see where lots of gay people your age congregate. Brandon used to be primarily families - but it is so close to Jackson, Pearl and the other cities you might want to start out living in Jackson and working in Brandon. I think you'll discover there is less 'talk' about gay/straight than in other areas of the country, but a horror of being rude. Stay away from clubs that cater to the under 25 and have parking lots filled with pickup trucks until you know your way around. Check out various arts, health food, nice dining venues. You'll make friends.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:51 AM

21 posts, read 47,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerhacke View Post
Run screaming like your hair is on fire from the job offer. If you're even remotely gay-ish to the native Mississippi population they'll sacrifice you to their god in hopes that he'll cure your gay disease after you get through the pearly gates.

Cavemen. Whattya gonna do, ya know? They don't understand what they're doing so we can't hold it against them.
You know, I completely forgot that my Klan meeting was scheduled for this afternoon until I read this post. Thankies! Bless my forgetful little Mississippi man heart!

OP, in all seriousness, you shouldn't worry about anything like that in surroundings as big as Jackson. There's many more where you came from. We Mississippians have our problems, but a lot of us would rather fall over than be rude to someone in person. Don't expect total acceptance and parade marches, but folks will be good to you if you're good to them.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:12 PM

93 posts, read 215,982 times
I would suggest checking out the Fondren neighborhood in Jackson. They have a delightful and gay-friendly community there.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:57 PM

217 posts, read 313,125 times
Honey, try to find another job in another state, being gay in a place like Mississippi isnt a good idea. Remember, they still live in the dark ages.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:47 PM

For the life of me I cannot figure out why people who don't live here think they know all about it.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:24 PM

74 posts, read 171,571 times
Cool, my comments are still the truth then, since I live in Jackson.

DO NOT MOVE TO JACKSON IF YOU ARE GAY. DO NOT MOVE TO 99.999999% OF MISSISSIPPI IF YOU ARE GAY. THIS IS FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:07 PM

217 posts, read 313,125 times
Just move away from Mississippi, its the best option.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerhacke View Post
Cool, my comments are still the truth then, since I live in Jackson.
Actually, yes. You have an informed opinion and your comments hold more water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi