Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 10:13 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,806,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathseeker View Post
Also, keep in mind that for every wealthy person, there's a slew of lower income people who depend either directly(working for them) or indirectly(higher tax tax base paying for programs) on them, who are likely to vote to maintain the status quo(their subsidized living situation). Hence the blue pattern in places like the Northeast and West Coast.

But it is also the case that many wealthy people in the "Blue" states are socially liberal (support abortion rights, same-sex "marriage", and belong to the "Religious Left", or are non-religious). Since the early 1970s, the Democratic Party has been on the "left" side of the "culture war".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 10:35 AM

49 posts, read 160,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
But it is also the case that many wealthy people in the "Blue" states are socially liberal (support abortion rights, same-sex "marriage", and belong to the "Religious Left", or are non-religious). Since the early 1970s, the Democratic Party has been on the "left" side of the "culture war".
Yes, good point. However, I'd venture to guess that the proportion of social liberals amongst the poor is roughly the same as it in the higher rungs of the socio-economic ladder.

Also, keep in mind that the social/cultural issues don't tend to be as much a factor in the blue states. People in those areas tend to base their votes more on pocketbook issues.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:36 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,257,558 times
This is why I vote Republican.

RANGEL FIBS: DEMOCRAT CLAIMS

Old 03-21-2013, 10:45 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,242,102 times
This was my reply the last time this topic was brought up just before the elections in November:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Contrary to popular belief, the majority of Mississippians are white, rural, middle-class, and religious. Generally that type of person votes the way their preacher tells them to vote(*), which means they vote for the party that is officially anti-abortion and against the party that is perceived to be pro-homosexual.

For those voting for economic reasons, they look around and believe they see all the lazy black folk down the road getting guv'mint assistance (ignoring all the white folk who are getting the same assistance, because the white folk are just down on their luck and the black folk are pure-D lazy), and they vote against the party they believe is taking their hard-earned money and giving it to the lazy folk.

Others listen to the venom and bile spewed across the airwaves by the likes of Rush (he's right, so he's gotta be right, right?) and Glen and such.

So the result is that hard-working Mississippians will go to the polls next Tuesday and vote for a man who would, without blinking an eye, buy up the company they work for, steal all the money out of the pension fund, send all their jobs overseas, and fire all of them.

(*) Note: I believe that a church cannot officially endorse any politician or political party and maintain a tax-exempt status (that whole separation of church and state thing). But preachers can talk to people from locations that aren't pulpits.
Mississippi does have the largest percentage of minority residents, but that percentage is still a minority.

I also didn't mention guns because it wasn't a big issue for me last November. Mississippi is most definitely a pro-hunting, pro-gun state (most rural states are), and Republicans are generally seen as the pro-gun politicians.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:47 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,806,906 times
Quote:
Also, keep in mind that the social/cultural issues don't tend to be as much a factor in the blue states. People in those areas tend to base their votes more on pocketbook issues.

If wealthy people in Blue states want to do something for the poor, let them contribute to charity instead of voting to raise taxes on themselves. On the other hand, wealthy people tend to find ways out of paying higher taxes.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:59 PM

49 posts, read 160,810 times
Quote:
If wealthy people in Blue states want to do something for the poor, let them contribute to charity instead of voting to raise taxes on themselves.
You're preaching to the choir...

Quote:
On the other hand, wealthy people tend to find ways out of paying higher taxes.
BINGO..You nailed it...They support higher taxes, knowing they're not the ones who will have to pay them....

Old 03-21-2013, 07:43 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
So has your Mom always voted "R" or "D"?
Sorry, by mom and pop I meant the average person. My mother has always voted Democrat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
This is why I vote Republican.

RANGEL FIBS: DEMOCRAT CLAIMS
To be honest, some of us democrats are stupid, just like some republicans. Over a million people have been killed by guns since 1980 though. And I'm not a supporter of the recent assault weapons ban because I know it wouldn't solve anything. However, I don't understand how a responsible gun owner can not respect the idea of more safety regulations that specifically concern ownership, purchasing, background checks, etc. My good friend, best friend really grew up with guns, hunts, fishes, etc. His father owns many guns, his little brother has a few guns and he's only 10. We all own guns. He recently had two incidents where he completely went psychotic and I had to rush to help on both occasions to make sure he didn't hurt anyone. Thank God both times he didn't have his pistol on him because he likely would've took someones life. This is an example of a man who grew up around guns, gun safety, and hunting and I don't think he should own another handgun for his and other people's safety. All of us democrats don't want to take away guns or the freedoms we are entitled to as citizens of this country, just the people who have had problems such as him.
So, I do not support any magazine or ammunition bans, however mandatory background checks, mandatory safety classes, and mandatory registration, is probably a good thing.
Every republican I've talked to about this issue is completely against this (all were gun owners) and that's why I will probably never vote republican.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:11 PM

40 posts, read 70,842 times
Quote:
I know this is a pattern in most Southern and Rural states but rather than post this question in the general forum, I wanted to get some insight from those who are Native to the state.

The big reason for my curiosity stems from the irony I see in the voting patterns. For instance, Mississippi has the highest proportion of African Americans, has the lowest per capita income. However, despite that, the state went overwhelming for Mitt Romney, From Massachusetts(of all places) who hailed from a very privileged background. That's not to suggest that Obama is much more in touch with the citizens of this state(I don't believe either one is) but I think he's at least a bit more so, than Mitt, who I'm sure some think of as a Northeastern elitist.

The above is just one of many examples I could have come up with. Mostly, I'm just curious as to why the Republicans have what seems like an automatic lock on this state every election cycle.
Did you also post this question, reversed of course, in the California forum or the New York forum, or the Rhode Island forum? Those states, too, have a tradition of voting one way or another.

Asking a question like this dances on a tightrope strung above an alligator pit full of bias, pre-conceived notions, and cliche. It assumes that color of skin and not content of character is more important when voting. Why is it ironic that a state like MS votes Republican? Read your question again, reworded. "Mississippi, you have lots of poor black folks, but you keep voting for rich white guys. Why?"

MS-ians want to be under-taxed and under-regulated, as opposed to our over-taxed and over-regulated friends up north. We don't want political leaders who feel it necessary to try and protect us from every one of Life's possible mishaps with another law or another program. MS-ians would rather give a dollar to our neighbor than give a dollar to the government so the government can give fifty cents to our neighbor. MS-ians want to live in peace with each other, instead of having the sins of the past used as a bludgeon and a wedge at every opportunity - I am specifically talking about race issues.

To be sure, there are plenty of folks who vote D or R because Daddy did. There are plenty of folks who buy into the rhetoric they hear on the radio and TV about this party being for the little guy, this party being for the big guy, etc. Happens everywhere.

After many years, I personally have arrived at the conclusion that D and R don't matter, the real contest is between the "ruling class" and the rest of us. We are so used to being lied to that we no longer hold our elected leaders accountable when they do something contrary to their pre-election promises. I could close my eyes and pull levers at random for national political offices, and the odds are nothing would change.

Finally, I am curious what other "many examples" you could come up with to explain your perceived irony that the GOP has a lock on MS.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:46 AM

852 posts, read 1,442,955 times
It's like the North Koreans who support their grand exalted leader, all the meanwhile their children are living in misery and their countrymen are dying of hunger. Maybe it's fear of change/difference.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:24 PM

947 posts, read 1,186,705 times
Makes me wonder why even bother voting...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
View detailed profiles of: