U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 06:21 PM

110 posts, read 158,354 times

Advertisements

I'm going to backtrack a bit on what I've said - I've just spent a lovely day in Jackson at the Museum area on Pascagoula Street - The Mississippi Museum of Art is great, with a lovely café serving beautiful food, the Mississippi Arts Center is nice and the Muslim Museum was very, very interesting - took up a good two hours of my day. They've an Arts Festival on in the gardens on the 5th October, which I'll be back for. Decent signage is not expensive, and would help a lot - even a couple of downtown maps in strategic places (train/bus station, museums area and old capitol) with all the sights and restaurants on would make people feel a whole lot more welcome.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 09:31 PM

23,412 posts, read 14,712,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Egerton View Post
I'm going to backtrack a bit on what I've said - I've just spent a lovely day in Jackson at the Museum area on Pascagoula Street - The Mississippi Museum of Art is great, with a lovely café serving beautiful food, the Mississippi Arts Center is nice and the Muslim Museum was very, very interesting - took up a good two hours of my day. They've an Arts Festival on in the gardens on the 5th October, which I'll be back for. Decent signage is not expensive, and would help a lot - even a couple of downtown maps in strategic places (train/bus station, museums area and old capitol) with all the sights and restaurants on would make people feel a whole lot more welcome.
LOL!
You just never give up, do you?

Old 01-09-2014, 07:36 PM

7,009 posts, read 11,353,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio View Post
With all the talk about the decline of Jackson and the rise of the suburbs, people need to take a second look.

Fondren seems to have more interesting restaurants than ever and is scheduled for a facelift in terms of the streets and sidewalks. The University medical center area up to Millsaps and on to Baptist medical center seems to be expanding nicely. The new children's hospital is visually impressive and the new addition to Baptist, where Keifers was before it moved across the street, is also visually interesting.

Fortification Street is being completely redone and will be a festive downtown area for Belhaven, also serving as an entrance for the north downtown music and cultural district (Farish St and neighboring places like George Street Grocery and 930 Blues).

And Capitol Street is under reconstruction, with nice finishing touches to compliment the renovated King Edward district. Also, art museum is delightful and very active and approachable, with the new arts green in front.

Lastly, the Pearl River is set to be turned into a lake with 12 miles of shoreline, which will undoubtedly be a showplace.

Overall, I felt hopeful...thinking, hey, this area is kind of....well....cool, and it has definite buzz.
Clearly you have not been to many other cities if you think Jackson is "bustling". Jackson is a hole in the wall, plain and simple, and the lawmakers and legislatures who work in downtown should be ashamed that their own state capital city has so many issues and poverty. Often the state capital is the pride and joy of a state, but Jackson is the decadence of an already poor and lowly state.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:59 PM

3,616 posts, read 5,289,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Clearly you have not been to many other cities if you think Jackson is "bustling". Jackson is a hole in the wall, plain and simple, and the lawmakers and legislatures who work in downtown should be ashamed that their own state capital city has so many issues and poverty. Often the state capital is the pride and joy of a state, but Jackson is the decadence of an already poor and lowly state.
Maybe what was meant in the Original Post is that many Jacksonians appear to be wearing bustles. http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/patt...fashion-sm.gif

While some may resort to artifice to achieve the effect http://rivercrossinginc.tripod.com/c...stlerachel.jpg , others are blessed by nature. Here, we see an historic etching of the 'Hottentot Venus', who so inspired Europeans with her natural abundance that she is credited with inspiring the worldwide bustle craze - one which lasted for over a century: http://www.1st-art-gallery.com/thumb...erry,-1830.jpg

And while there are many of both genders in Jackson, with "Junk-in-the-trunk", many of the city's gentlemen are bustling both fore and aft. Or, as the Grandmother of one of my friends used to say (this lady a descendant of one of Mississippi's grandest and oldest 'Land Grant Families'), in 'entre-nous'-type settings, "That man has a bustle in the front!" (and you wondered what Southern Belles were tittering about, behind their fans...).

I had thought that "Bound for Moo Moo Land" should be Jackson's new slogan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX0mcases4M I mean, with a cast of characters like Chokwe Lumumba, Charlotte Reeves (a natural stand-in for Tammy Wynette, IMHO), Hemp Lady The Hemp candidate - YouTube, LaRita Stokes, The Ghost of Frank Ghosts of Frank Melton | Jackson Free Press | Jackson, MS, Mrs. World Booking I - YouTube, and Claiborne Frasier Jackson Jambalaya: Judge has a few things to say about Claiborne Frazier, ... well... "All Bound for Moo Moo Land" couldn't be more surreal than the reality of Jacktown. And it would be nice to bump Jackson, a city known for being stuck in the Seventies, all the way into the Nineties. Plus, the name 'Chokwe Lumumba' just sounds like it goes with 'Moo Moo Land', to me.

However, maybe "Jackson: Naturally Bustling!", or "Jackson! More Junk: Bigger Trunk!" might be even better. And Jacktown's standing in national statistics for Obesity would certainly certainly support such claims.

Oh, and DH is looking over my shoulder, and just reminded me why Jackson refused to leave the Seventies. This was actually covered by one of my undergrad professors, as an example of what not to do. McRae's was the thriving, dominant local department store chain. But In 1979 or '80, they were persuaded to be the Mississippi 'sponsor' for 'Can't Stop the Music', featuring The Village People. There was a huge ad campaign, and all of Jackson simmered with anticipation. The People of Jackson were all supposed to come together and rally around this film, for the wonderful beginning of the Eighties. I know! What could go wrong? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB8UXJE7zps Well... as you can imagine, "The Movie That Launched The Eighties" traumatized Jacksonians so badly that they refused to leave the Seventies, and are stuck there to this day.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 01-11-2014 at 05:49 PM..

Old 01-11-2014, 05:28 PM

539 posts, read 708,204 times
Was reading about Frank Melton. What a madcap zany guy! Another fun and hilarious post.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:39 PM

799 posts, read 981,253 times
His heart was in the right place but his actions and rhetoric were all people remember him for.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:11 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,545,186 times
I attended a meeting featuring Frank as the Keynote Speaker (he was about a year or two into his term), he said the was shocked by the incompetence (and possible) corruption in Jackson City government.

Frank had his demons, but I think he wanted what was best for the city (that was in great peril then and is even worse now) and had the bravado to actually upset the apple cart.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:06 PM

Default BUSTLING, on-trial in JACKTOWN!!!

Pebbelz da Model is facing trial for a deadly form of Bustling by Artifice. Jackson, probably because it is so 'bustling', was selected as the trial venue. Ever so appropriate. Snowfall delays buttocks injection murder trial | The Clarion-Ledger | clarionledger.com

I really don't know what all the fuss is about, though. Who ever would have guessed that unlicensed injections of a "silicone-like substance" could lead to complications? I mean, don't all the best clinics operate out of private homes and motel rooms?

Oh, wait! I see that the injections allegedly did actually happen within the Jackson Metro! In Byram, of all places. But honestly, articles are so badly-written these days, you never get enough pertinent facts. Trial for 'Pebbelz Da Model' begins Monday in fatal buttocks injection case | gulflive.com A new industry for Jacktown! ...almost as sure-fire an economic jump-starter as Hemp Lady's proposed Hemp-based factories and such-as. So, you see, Jacktown is Bustling-all-over! (to the tune of 'June is Bustin'-out All Over!').

Another photo of The Lovely Pebbelz, with something in the background suggesting there are logistics-based limits to how wide a girl can go, when choosing to augment her figure: http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...er-d6zkr12.png Oddly, in many parts of the Jackson Metro, there are aerobics classes filled with women desperately trying to avoid having curves like Pebbelz'. Go figure... I mean, don't all men go wild over women who look like this?: http://djsdoingwork.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/pdm.jpg

And what, this time, was the "silicone-like substance" administered to the Patient? Previous trials related to other 'Augmentation Clinics' have established that injections of the long-respected combination of Quik-Crete and Fix-a-Flat can be hazardous to one's health (Again, who'd have guessed?). And I think it's quite savvy to reject the use of external bustles, when having an internal bustle installed is so easy and convenient. Considering that many of the popular products are readily available, from trusted medical supply houses like Lowe's and Home Depot, it's no wonder so many are tempted to experiment. And there's always the off-chance one might even survive being injected!*

*('Survive', here, being defined as 'Not dead within 96 hours.')

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 01-28-2014 at 01:14 PM..

Old 01-28-2014, 02:03 PM

Update! I found a non-MSM source offering more information regarding Bustling-on-trial: FJ WORLD CELEBRITY NEWS: Top Video Vixen, Pebblez Da Model Arrested For Involvement In Concrete Butt Injections That Led To The Murder Of Karima Gordon

Apparently, there was a local BEAUTY EXPERT and alleged 'Street Surgeon' in the Jackson Metro, who attracted patients from all over. I think he/she should get a medal, for helping make Jackson a "Destination City". The above source states that this Beauty Expert was "not licensed to perform this procedure". Does this mean that there are people licensed to inject concrete into buttocks?

But does anyone know the exact product (or combination of products) injected into the person (or persons) who died?

Old 02-01-2014, 10:19 PM

Default Bustling BUSTED! Mission to install inner bustles ends in PERSECUTION

"I won't give up my MISSION to ultimately achieve a tastefully great butt enhancement."
Butt-injection trial ends in manslaughter verdict | The Clarion-Ledger | clarionledger.com

What more is there to say? Jackson is bustling... and more than enough Jacksonians grow their own Living Internal Bustles the natural way * http://www.jacksonadvocateonline.com...nna-Stokes.jpg. (some say it's the Sweet Tea. But I think it's the Popeye's Cajun Rice.) However, the city's chance to become a center for Engineered Bustling - helping augment the curves of those cheated by Nature - may have been lost. Apparently, the sticking point (aside from the fact that the patients die) is that the nurses aren't real. So, I'm thinking that Jackson's Economic Development Boosters need to order diplomas for the Buttocks Injection Nurses, as well as smart little uniforms.

Just look at the photo gallery of "Nurse" Tracey Lynn Garner, here on Huffington Post: Tracey Lynn Garner Charged For 2nd Buttocks-enhancement Death . A smart nurse's uniform would have made all the difference. In searching for appropriate uniforms, I discovered the raison d'etre for the orange wig perched atop Pebbelz Da Model's weave, during the trial. Orange hair is de rigueur for truly cutting-edge Beauty Modification Professionals. http://1-ps.googleusercontent.com/x/...BqQ3JYkeV4.jpg and http://img1.etsystatic.com/000/0/599....298042243.jpg and http://img.loveitsomuch.com/uploads/...ume-t55301.jpg

In any event, we're proud of you girls, for putting Jackson, Mississippi on the map!

*Hinds County Supervisor Kenneth I. Stokes and newly elected Jackson Councilwoman LaRita Stokes enjoy a night at the opera

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 02-01-2014 at 10:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi