U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2013, 07:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,219 times

Advertisements

I am being stationed at Camp Shelbymid June I'm having a booger of a time finding a decent house to rent that's three bedroom two bath around $800 I'm currently selling my house in Washington State and I am pretty gun shy about buying again so I'm going to have a go at the renting does anyone out there know of a house 20 to 30 minutes from Shelby for rent? I also have a very mature but large friendly dog who is incredibly house trained and super chill but other than that its just me my wife and 2yr son
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 08:15 PM

8 posts, read 26,372 times
We're moving to Meridian and having the same problem. Apparently there is a HUGE new power plant project opening in De Kalb that is apparently moving somewhere around 5,000 people into the area.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:18 AM

1,046 posts, read 1,307,027 times
Try myhattiesburg dot com forums. Should be able to find something there or in Petal. Also judging from your screen name, if you are into basketball check out the h-burg YMCA.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:58 AM

2,892 posts, read 4,312,263 times
Keep in mind that Hattiesburg has a reasonably large 4-year university. Southern Miss doesn't dominate the town like the other 4-year universities do in Mississippi, but still you'll be competing for cheap rentals with college students. The advantage is that cheap rentals may be available. See if you can locate any student oriented forums or postings.

Another issue is that Shelby is nestled into DeSoto National Forest, so there is nothing available on 2 sides. You're limited to the area between Shelby and Hattiesburg, which is somewhat rural. You may have to expand your driving radius a bit, but if you're used to an urban area you'll be surprised at how quickly you commute will be out in the country. A commute of 30 minutes could carry you well over 20 miles, with little danger of any traffic jams.

Good luck!

Old 05-28-2013, 02:22 PM

6 posts, read 6,571 times
You should look in outlying areas, such as Purvis, or Petal. Purvis is right off the interstate, so it is just a hop and a skip from the base. I am not sure how much rent property is available, but when it is available it can be quite lower in price. Anything in Lamar County School District may be a little pricier, so look into that as well. Sumrall is another small town close by, but it is going to be at least a 30 minute drive. I would recommend at least checking out Purvis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi