U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-30-2013, 12:45 AM
 
Location: Memphis, Tenn
1 posts, read 5,688 times
Reputation: 19

Advertisements

My husband (a midwesterner) is considering moving our family to southern miss. for business reasons. I am a native of Clarksdale, Miss. and attended college at the "W" in Columbus, but I have lived in Memphis since 1987. I know very little about the southern part of the state.

We are thinking of Hattiesburg or the surrounding area due to proximity of schools, arts, kids activities, shopping, etc. We have two young children and need to be in a good school district. On the GreatSchools forum, people seem high on Petal and also Oak Grove Schools. But I have also seen comments about bullying, cliques, overcrowding, etc etc. Can anyone offer any perspective?

Also, are there any other public schools (elementary, middle and high) in the area that are worth considering?

Should we take a look at Laurel, Taylorsville, or any other surrounding communities?

Thx.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-08-2013, 10:52 PM
 
209 posts, read 440,084 times
Reputation: 54
Is there any huge difference between Southern Miss and Memphis?
They are all deep south, mostly same thing. If you husband feel fine in Memphis, Southern Miss should not be a problem.
I do know how old are your kids, but my kids may feel nothing to lose some fun things to do in a small town at southern miss.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2013, 01:42 PM
 
Location: Johns Island
2,425 posts, read 4,058,103 times
Reputation: 3578
Quote:
Originally Posted by 009811 View Post
Is there any huge difference between Southern Miss and Memphis?
They are all deep south, mostly same thing. If you husband feel fine in Memphis, Southern Miss should not be a problem.
I do know how old are your kids, but my kids may feel nothing to lose some fun things to do in a small town at southern miss.
Dude, really?

Memphis is a city of almost 700K plus surrounding suburbs that push the MSA over a million. Hattiesburg is a town of 45K. There will be a huge difference in lifestyle between the two places. I don't have any opinion as to which is better, but they will be very different.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2013, 04:50 PM
 
433 posts, read 800,765 times
Reputation: 279
The guy above is correct. I live and work in Memphis now but I have lived all over Mississippi: Starkville, Hattiesburg, Jackson, and my wife and I parents are from Hazlehurst, McComb, Indianola, and Ripley so I am familiar with those places also. Memphis is nothing like Hattiesburg. You cannot even compare Jackson to Memphis because it is much larger. Oak Grove schools are no where near as crowded as Memphis and shelby county schools. Hattiesburg in size would be comparable to Greenville or just a little bigger than Clarksdale. South Mississippi is different than the delta in a couple ways. Lots of New Orleans Saints fans, closer affinity to Louisiana, and the cuisine is more gulf coast. Hope this helps. Oh Hattiesburg is hot. Memphis is hot but Hattiesburg is really hot.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 07:08 PM
 
14 posts, read 40,643 times
Reputation: 13
South Jones School District (Laurel City Schools are pretty bad) is a great school district and there are a lot of affordable housing options around here.

It is also between Laurel and Hattiesburg so you have double to shopping options.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2013, 07:28 PM
 
1 posts, read 5,426 times
Reputation: 16
As a lifelong resident of MS, I would caution anyone about moving to Hattiesburg. At first glance you can find a lot of pleasant things about Hattiesburg, but as far as being accepted: Buyer Beware! Absolutely no excuse for how newcomers are treated. More "stranger danger" behavior than you can ever imagine. Even involves the school age children . My career has taken my family all over our great nation, so we have been newcomers many times. Very, very sad behavior. Also saw this with at least two other new families who for all intents and purposes are "all American" southerners. All this is really about what congregation you belong to. From one family with deep ties to all parts of MS, I can honestly say I am ashamed of Hattiesburg. I always expected more from my fellow Mississippians. Save any and all excuses. No defense for this. Don't want to hear it. My family is now back in a normal environment elsewhere in our state where people have been quite hospitable. Absolutely no class!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2013, 04:39 PM
 
433 posts, read 800,765 times
Reputation: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoliaallmylife View Post
As a lifelong resident of MS, I would caution anyone about moving to Hattiesburg. At first glance you can find a lot of pleasant things about Hattiesburg, but as far as being accepted: Buyer Beware! Absolutely no excuse for how newcomers are treated. More "stranger danger" behavior than you can ever imagine. Even involves the school age children . My career has taken my family all over our great nation, so we have been newcomers many times. Very, very sad behavior. Also saw this with at least two other new families who for all intents and purposes are "all American" southerners. All this is really about what congregation you belong to. From one family with deep ties to all parts of MS, I can honestly say I am ashamed of Hattiesburg. I always expected more from my fellow Mississippians. Save any and all excuses. No defense for this. Don't want to hear it. My family is now back in a normal environment elsewhere in our state where people have been quite hospitable. Absolutely no class!
This is just my personal opinion and not intended to sway anyone's mind about moving to Hattiesburg but I also love Mississippi probably more than anybody and Hattiesburg was the worst place I lived in as well. Would never live there again. My dad though loved Hattiesburg.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2013, 04:39 PM
 
Location: Northwest Hills, CT
352 posts, read 735,768 times
Reputation: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissStateDawg View Post
This is just my personal opinion and not intended to sway anyone's mind about moving to Hattiesburg but I also love Mississippi probably more than anybody and Hattiesburg was the worst place I lived in as well. Would never live there again. My dad though loved Hattiesburg.
Really? Why? (If you don't mind me asking). We are probably moving down there from Magee in the next six months or so.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2013, 02:01 PM
 
Location: The Land Mass Between NOLA and Mobile, AL
1,796 posts, read 1,575,238 times
Reputation: 1409
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaGirl65 View Post
My husband (a midwesterner) is considering moving our family to southern miss. for business reasons. I am a native of Clarksdale, Miss. and attended college at the "W" in Columbus, but I have lived in Memphis since 1987. I know very little about the southern part of the state.

We are thinking of Hattiesburg or the surrounding area due to proximity of schools, arts, kids activities, shopping, etc. We have two young children and need to be in a good school district. On the GreatSchools forum, people seem high on Petal and also Oak Grove Schools. But I have also seen comments about bullying, cliques, overcrowding, etc etc. Can anyone offer any perspective?

Also, are there any other public schools (elementary, middle and high) in the area that are worth considering?

Should we take a look at Laurel, Taylorsville, or any other surrounding communities?

Thx.
I have lived all over the U.S., and if you have to move to southern MS, Hattiesburg is probably your best bet. I think you would be fine with schools in Hattiesburg itself or any of the surrounding communities, although I have heard especially good things about Oak Grove and Petal.

That being said, I grew up in the Minneapolis metro area, went to college in Madison, WI, lived for ten years in Austin, TX, and worked for three years in NJ in the NYC Metro area. I came here for a job opportunity that I could not turn down just given the field I work in. However, I would run, not walk, to any of the other places I have lived rather than live here further, and, I think I would seriously consider moving to Memphis and/or staying there given the opportunity to do so.

Hattiesburg is very pleasant, and, while the residents at large are friendly, they seem to be very distrustful of outsiders, especially of those who are not religious and do not attend church, a category that my partner and I fall into in both respects. We do not have small children, and that, coupled with the fact that we do not go to church, has made it incredibly difficult to find friends. There is a strange and almost self-contradictory provincialism that seems to pervade the air here: you are suspect if you have lived in other places, and that marks you as never being able to belong; yet if you try to belong, you are marked by your foreign provenance. Colleagues at work who are not particularly religious but are stuck here have reported that they have joined non-denominational churches just to have opportunities to socialize.

Shopping and dining out are also very limited, but I guess those amenities are always relative--I'm used to a whole lot more. Chain restaurants pretty much prevail, although there are a few restaurants downtown that are trying to reverse that trend. Clothes at the Gap are going to be about as innovative as it gets, although there are a few boutiques that try to cater to different tastes.

What I have written may seem overly negative, but, as an outsider who had to move here, it pretty much describes the Hattiesburg I have experienced. I am sure that others will have different opinions based on where they have lived before and what they have seen here. Again, though, I will say that this is a very pleasant place to live in numerous respects. The Long Leaf Trace is gorgeous, the trees are beautiful, the farmers' market in the summer is great, the downtown association has been making great progress, the University is an incredible resource with remarkable holdings, the Public Library is outstanding for a town of this size, and, aside from USM's libraries, there are other great archives here. Just like anywhere, it is what you make of it. But do note that living here in Hattiesburg will be nothing like living in or near Memphis.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2013, 11:27 PM
 
1,354 posts, read 3,940,124 times
Reputation: 1284
Maybe I can help. I moved to Hattiesburg years ago from Phila. Pa. I won't get into my adjustment and culture shock but it wasn't easy. However, Hattiesburg today is quite different and my perspective is as well. I think it really depends on what you will be doing in Hattiesbuirg. If you are raising a family and have interesting work it should be a very advantageous location. You will have excellent housing choices, be near the Gulf and Florida beaches and New Orleans as well.

Hattiesburg, unlike a previous comment, is not all chain restautrants. There are several local choices like Crescent City, Half Shell, Triangle Seafood, Mexican KItchen, Jutama's (great Thai), Movie Star and for barbecue there are Strick's and Roses, and for Italian Tabella. Downtown there are several local spots like 206 Front and Brownstone's... and you get my drift. You can find most things here and with online ordering it doesn't make any difference anyway.

The Universities offer theater and music and there are garden clubs and children's sports. I raised my son here and he loved it. However, if you are looking for the Met. Museum of Art or the ballet you have to travel. The coast used to have the Met live--maybe they still do- via some setup.

As far as the people and welcoming you--I am a Yankee, nonreligious, politically liberal person and have plenty of friends. But my work was in academics and that crowd was not the same as say folks who never left the county or have limited education. It depends on your demographic as to whether you will feel in the provinces.

As to population, yes, the city limits are about 45,000 but that is because the city doesn't annex. The retail area is closer to 100,000. By the way, there are some interesting new living areas being offerred downtown--lofts with character and a youthful element. The Sacred Heart school near there offers a choice for families.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top