Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 08:41 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,799,455 times

Advertisements

There are a number of Asians in Ole Miss's graduate school. If the school is so lousy, why are they there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 10:44 AM

3,378 posts, read 5,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
There are a number of Asians in Ole Miss's graduate school. If the school is so lousy, why are they there?
No, it's just that my dad didn't like Mississippi, he loved the battlefields and stuff, but he had a thing or two to say about the quality of living, how much the wages supposedly suck and such.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:25 PM

45 posts, read 109,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Hello everyone, it's just me.

Right now I am kicking around the idea of going to Ole Miss to get my Master's Degree, in history anyway, and I thought it would be a good idea to go to a southern school with a prominent Civil War past, and the school from what I have found has a History program there that suits me. The only problem I have with the school is the identity problem it has, I'd rather have Colonel Reb over that bear.

Would any of you recommend it?
Most students hate the bear and it is often booed on the field.

Oxford is a fun town. The school is relatively small and right in the middle of things. So if you plan properly you can get an apartment that will be walking distance to both the campus and to the Square, which is where all the bars and restaurants are located. Of course, there are dozens of places to eat, but the trendy places are near the Square.

Overall the Ole Miss students are fairly conservative, but the student newspaper and student government are far left.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:32 PM

45 posts, read 109,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
No, it's just that my dad didn't like Mississippi, he loved the battlefields and stuff, but he had a thing or two to say about the quality of living, how much the wages supposedly suck and such.
The wages do suck. But things are cheaper in Mississippi. In my hometown of Holly Springs, most houses are going for $40 per foot or less. A friend of mine just got his nicer home appraised and it came in at $100,000 for a 3,500 square foot house, or $28.50 per square foot. Lots of small Mississippi towns have really cheap housing. Prices are higher in Oxford, but we just bought a house in the Oxford School District for $75 per square foot. This is way under the national market.

So it's all relative. If you can live cheaply you don't have to make as much.

Old 06-12-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlVanDorn View Post
Most students hate the bear and it is often booed on the field.

Oxford is a fun town. The school is relatively small and right in the middle of things. So if you plan properly you can get an apartment that will be walking distance to both the campus and to the Square, which is where all the bars and restaurants are located. Of course, there are dozens of places to eat, but the trendy places are near the Square.

Overall the Ole Miss students are fairly conservative, but the student newspaper and student government are far left.
I'm from a small town and am relatively conservative myself, I don't see that much of a problem.

Renting an apartment would be the way to go, but it is all still up in the air right now, some of the acceptance requirements of the school I have to meet up with in the next year.

Anything else anyone could recommend? I just unsure about the whole thing.

Last edited by Desert kid; 06-12-2013 at 04:45 PM..

Old 06-12-2013, 06:50 PM

17,773 posts, read 13,662,076 times
Sounds like you are from Safford, Willcox or Elfrida.

Ole Miss is really cool but be ready for the pretentiousness of the place. The school is small enough and the town is tiny so it's pretty comfortable if you don't mind small towns and universities. I can't think of a better place to study southern things as they have the Institute for Southern Culture on the beautiful campus.

The only problem with the place is that if you need a job it will be hard to come by. If you don't I think it would be great. Two of my favorite places in the country are SE Arizona and Oxford, MS

Old 06-12-2013, 08:42 PM

209 posts, read 459,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post

Asians like Oxford and Ole Miss because of low cost of living and relative good quality of Ole Miss. For Asians (especially Asians), if they have a offer from Vanderbilt, they may not in Ole Miss.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Sounds like you are from Safford, Willcox or Elfrida.

Ole Miss is really cool but be ready for the pretentiousness of the place. The school is small enough and the town is tiny so it's pretty comfortable if you don't mind small towns and universities. I can't think of a better place to study southern things as they have the Institute for Southern Culture on the beautiful campus.

The only problem with the place is that if you need a job it will be hard to come by. If you don't I think it would be great. Two of my favorite places in the country are SE Arizona and Oxford, MS
I'm from Safford, and trust me I deal with pretentiousness every day.

I'd love to see the Institute for Southern Culture, I had no idea they even had such a thing!

The job part I think would be the hardest.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:16 PM

978 posts, read 2,052,618 times
I applied to Ole Miss for graduate school. The program seemed decent, but was very small. I went elsewhere because of more funding and a higher reputation.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
I applied to Ole Miss for graduate school. The program seemed decent, but was very small. I went elsewhere because of more funding and a higher reputation.
I'm not going for reputation, I'm going for quality, and secondly, community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi