Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 06:37 AM

44 posts, read 75,312 times

Advertisements

If you had to rate where to relocate to in the Jackson area, explain how you would rate the following communities, and give a brief reasoning for why (if you have a few minutes). It will be greatly appreciated.

We have narrowed down our home search to the following communities (in no particular order): Pearl, Flowood, Brandon, Florence, Byram. We have two children (one in middle school, the other will be a freshman in high school next year). The boy is an avid fishing enthusiast and loves playing around outdoors. the girl (soon to be 12) just likes to hang out with friends, for what its worth. We want to be close to entertainment options (shopping, restaurants, groceries, movie theatres, parks, lakes, etc.).

Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 10:01 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,799,328 times
Pearl sucks. Moderator cut: This term is insulting to many people

Flowood is the land of retail outlets and mall trash type restaurants like Applebees and Chili's. Other than apt. complexes, are there any houses in Flowood??
Florence is a trashier Pearl.
Byram is a working class black neighborhood that I know very little about other than housing was really cheap there compared to other suburbs.

You might want to check out Ridgeland and points in Madison County near the Rez given your children's interests.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 06-28-2013 at 01:02 PM..

Old 06-20-2013, 09:43 AM

2,501 posts, read 4,435,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesofJackson View Post
Byram is a working class black neighborhood that I know very little about other than housing was really cheap there compared to other suburbs.
Byram is not a "Black" neighborhood. According to 2010 census, Byram was 52.1% African American and 45.7% White.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:49 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,799,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Byram is not a "Black" neighborhood. According to 2010 census, Byram was 52.1% African American and 45.7% White.
So you're telling me it's a black majority?

Old 06-20-2013, 08:34 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,435,058 times
Quote:
So you're telling me it's a black majority?
Yes, slightly, but the numbers are close enough to call it equal. It's basically 50/50 black to white.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:15 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,893,070 times
I live near Flowood (kids are in the NWR zone).

I rank the Jackson area as such:
Gluckstadt - housing more expensive, traffic can be bad, very good schools
Madison (the city) - Same as above. Mayor with a vision, strict code enforcement.
Flowood - Good schools, but could be much better (the Rankin County School Board is a disaster). Apartments, proximity to Jackson, unbridled retail growth, moderately priced housing, no vision and little code enforcement/planning will, in my opinion, lead to the deterioration of Flowood. Over the next 20 years, I think it will turn into a Clinton/Ridgeland type municipality. Not bad places, but not great either.
Brandon - not as much retail/restaurants as Flowood, slower pace of life, more life-long type residents (these are good qualities in my opinion).

I would not live anywhere other than the above in the Jackson metro area. No matter where you live you will have easy access to shopping, restaurants, outdoor activities and all the kid sports you want. In Mississippi, the price of housing usually drives the public schools; the higher the housing cost, the better the public schools.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:17 PM

356 posts, read 1,345,524 times
Quote:
Pearl sucks. .
Flowood is the land of retail outlets and mall trash type restaurants like Applebees and Chili's. Other than apt. complexes, are there any houses in Flowood??
Florence is a trashier Pearl.

You might want to check out Ridgeland and points in Madison County near the Rez given your children's interests.
Since I live in Pearl, I take offense to being called "white trash". Have you ever lived there or did you just happen to drive through? There are also plenty of very nice houses in Flowood.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 06-28-2013 at 01:03 PM..

Old 06-25-2013, 05:39 PM

55 posts, read 136,724 times
I like Clinton (good schools...ck them out) Flowood, Madison. I also think Pearl is on the way up. I've lived in 26 states and find Ms. to be of the friendliest. I've ck out most of the state for a place to retire. When I retire I will move to the coast. I do like central Mississippi. I shop in Clinton, Flowood, (Applebee's has karoke on the weekends after 10) and Madison. I go to Sam's Club in Pearl. However, no matter where you live in Jackson Metro it's easy to get around. I am still loving the fact of no major traffic jams. (people here sometimes thinks I'm crazy when I say that, guess they haven't driver on the 5 in Cali. LOL)

Old 06-25-2013, 05:42 PM

55 posts, read 136,724 times
@auntbee...folks that call others names...well it's not nice. I just drove by the new outlet mall that's being built. I'm excited about that. If the OP moves to Pearl I think he will like the Bass Pro in Pearl too!!!!

Old 06-26-2013, 04:55 PM

428 posts, read 848,753 times
If you want to be close to movies and shopping centers then Pearl, Flowood and I would add Madison and Ridgeland to you list. Here is a brief description of the metro burbs: Byram majority Black suburb (that still has a large White population) no movie theaters, borders South Jackson (a bad neighborhood and there will be occasional spill over), a couple restaurants but no major shopping centers. I used to live there and enjoyed it. Seemed like the Whites were more country and the Blacks thought they were high class for living in Byram rather than Jackson. This is just my opinion. Pearl is a working class city and is not very upscale. It is the working class part of Rankin county. But you will be close to movies and some shopping. Brandon is Rankin county's wanna be Madison. Think wealthy but slight country. Close to movies and shopping in Pearl and Flowood. Flowood has movies and lots of lots of shopping and dining on lakeland dr. More upscale than Pearl. Like I said though you may want to consider Madison and Ridgeland and also Richland and Florence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi