Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 04:10 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,691,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
I agree. I left after graduating from college. My parents FINALLY left last year to be near a cancer research hospital (the hospital in Tupelo nearly killed my mom twice).

I have two amendments to the above post:

I would add to the above post that medical care in the majority of the state is inadequate. My parents were driving two hours to Tupelo for care because their local hospital is a very bad one. They routinely hold patients before transferring them to Tupelo, and in many cases hold them WAY too long (like when my dad had a major heart attack and they held him for 6 hours before transferring him).

I would delete that there are things I love about the state. For me, I don't. I am glad that other people like it there. It's good that they have found a home, a place they connect to and love. I have found that elsewhere.

The OP wants to know why MS gets a bad rap. Well, from my POV, it has to do with everything Ankhharu mentioned: religion, politics (extremely antiquated ideas, IMO), women's rights, economics, LGBT issues, and health care. Even though the Gulf Coast is supposed to be more progressive (I have never lived there so I can't attest to this), the majority of the state is not. Reading friends' FB posts or news articles about events and conditions usually makes me either sad or livid.

I'm really not trying to bash MS. These are my opinions and my experiences. Our family is much happier and healthier since leaving NE MS. None of us will ever return. I wish the best of those who live there and especially to those who love it there. We aren't all the same, and I think that's a good thing.
Peppermint, sorry about your mom's ordeal, glad they didn't kill her. Your post reminded me of a similar issue that I didn't even think about. My father was diagnosed with cancer and as soon as he was diagnosed, my sisters and I attempted to get him out of Mississippi to a better hospital. Not even as a knock against MS Doctors but just to get him to the best place possible to extend his life. Preferably MD Anderson in Houston. However, the rest of the family in MS talked him into staying local. Convinced him that his Cancer doctor was as good as any. A couple of months later he noticed conflicting information he was getting from his Dr and what he was reading on the internet. So we were finally able to convince him to go to where my sister lived. It was no MD Anderson but was rated much better than his choices at home or in nearby Alabama or Louisiana. The MS doctor had told him he was in the early stages. His new Dr's were completely baffled stating that either his Doctor was not only wrong, but sounded like he had no idea what he was talking about. And that my dad had been in the final stages of Multiple Myeloma for the past six months. Granted, he was never going to make it as there is no cure for Multiple Myeloma, but to think we could have had him around for a little longer still angers me. Of course, after he passed away a month later, my Mississippi family began blaming all of us for "making him leave" and that that was what killed him Granted, this is not an indictment of all MS doctors, but you have to wonder if it's the rule and not the exception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 04:16 PM

870 posts, read 1,126,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I don't care! I love my home state! I'm sick of everyone else telling Mississippians and Southerners in general that we need to be "more like (insert "progressive" state of choice)". If things are so bad, why are people from those other states moving to the South?
Are you telling me those depraved liberals are invading your neighborhood/town as we speak?

Is MS experiencing a demographic boom?

Its like you were fearing barbarians at the gates or Gen. Sherman and his torch-squad

Old 07-29-2013, 04:41 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,823,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
Are you telling me those depraved liberals are invading your neighborhood/town as we speak?

Is MS experiencing a demographic boom?

Its like you were fearing barbarians at the gates or Gen. Sherman and his torch-squad

Thankfully, the depraved liberal invasion has spared us. Maybe we are getting some migration from conservatives who have been kicked out of "blue" states.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:27 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,221,721 times
Im sorry but when I saw this thread I laughed so hard I spit my coffee onto my computer. Hope im not being a troll....

Old 07-29-2013, 06:48 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,807,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Peppermint, sorry about your mom's ordeal, glad they didn't kill her. Your post reminded me of a similar issue that I didn't even think about. My father was diagnosed with cancer and as soon as he was diagnosed, my sisters and I attempted to get him out of Mississippi to a better hospital. Not even as a knock against MS Doctors but just to get him to the best place possible to extend his life. Preferably MD Anderson in Houston. However, the rest of the family in MS talked him into staying local. Convinced him that his Cancer doctor was as good as any. A couple of months later he noticed conflicting information he was getting from his Dr and what he was reading on the internet. So we were finally able to convince him to go to where my sister lived. It was no MD Anderson but was rated much better than his choices at home or in nearby Alabama or Louisiana. The MS doctor had told him he was in the early stages. His new Dr's were completely baffled stating that either his Doctor was not only wrong, but sounded like he had no idea what he was talking about. And that my dad had been in the final stages of Multiple Myeloma for the past six months. Granted, he was never going to make it as there is no cure for Multiple Myeloma, but to think we could have had him around for a little longer still angers me. Of course, after he passed away a month later, my Mississippi family began blaming all of us for "making him leave" and that that was what killed him Granted, this is not an indictment of all MS doctors, but you have to wonder if it's the rule and not the exception.
In my experience, what you experienced is the rule. My mom was diagnosed correctly (though she did undergo more thorough testing at her current facility), but she was administered the wrong chemo. She is very, very lucky to be alive. When I put her in the car to leave MS, she was using a walker and had just started going to the bathroom without assistance. Less than one year later, after medication changes, she's walking a mile a day and working outside in the yard.

I'm so, so sorry about your dad. I had a friend who took her dad to MD Anderson for leukemia, and he's in remission now. Unfortunately, a good friend of my mom's refused her advice to move her husband to their daughter's house (out of state, of course), and he's not expected to last the week. The oncologist never bothered to do a CT scan in January when he was diagnosed. Bad, bad medicine.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:37 PM

141 posts, read 426,677 times
Maybe the Delta has some bad hospitals but the ones on the Gulf Coast were always great for my family. My dad had a really severe stroke almost 20 years ago and is doing really great. Yes there are some bad things about Mississippi but there are bad things about every state. The only reason I moved is because I do not like the hot weather or the hurricanes.

The people on the Gulf Coast all helped each other after Katrina and do you know who helped out the most cleaning up debris and helping with the rebuilding process? The churches. No Mississippi is not a liberal state and maybe they are a little behind in some things but I believe that the state is moving forward. It is not a state like California and it never will be. If you don't like it then either do something about it or move. There are plenty of people who like the laid back way of life.

Just my opinion
Stephanie

Old 07-29-2013, 09:27 PM

25,598 posts, read 17,329,689 times
Most people who complain about hospitals in Mississippi have not been to Grady in Atlanta. Or Baptist in Memphis.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:57 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,691,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
In my experience, what you experienced is the rule. My mom was diagnosed correctly (though she did undergo more thorough testing at her current facility), but she was administered the wrong chemo. She is very, very lucky to be alive. When I put her in the car to leave MS, she was using a walker and had just started going to the bathroom without assistance. Less than one year later, after medication changes, she's walking a mile a day and working outside in the yard.

I'm so, so sorry about your dad. I had a friend who took her dad to MD Anderson for leukemia, and he's in remission now. Unfortunately, a good friend of my mom's refused her advice to move her husband to their daughter's house (out of state, of course), and he's not expected to last the week. The oncologist never bothered to do a CT scan in January when he was diagnosed. Bad, bad medicine.
Glad she is doing ok! The oncologists there...I just don't have anything good to say about. It seems the more people I talk to, the more I hear of experiences like with my dad. Makes you wonder which Med school they went to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephkp View Post
Maybe the Delta has some bad hospitals but the ones on the Gulf Coast were always great for my family. My dad had a really severe stroke almost 20 years ago and is doing really great. Yes there are some bad things about Mississippi but there are bad things about every state. The only reason I moved is because I do not like the hot weather or the hurricanes.

The people on the Gulf Coast all helped each other after Katrina and do you know who helped out the most cleaning up debris and helping with the rebuilding process? The churches. No Mississippi is not a liberal state and maybe they are a little behind in some things but I believe that the state is moving forward. It is not a state like California and it never will be. If you don't like it then either do something about it or move. There are plenty of people who like the laid back way of life.

Just my opinion
Stephanie
Singing River Hospital in Pascagoula is on the gulfcoast and it is a terrible hospital. Can't comment on the one in Ocean Springs, have no experience with it.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:23 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,807,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Glad she is doing ok! The oncologists there...I just don't have anything good to say about. It seems the more people I talk to, the more I hear of experiences like with my dad. Makes you wonder which Med school they went to.
The University of MS, Medical School is where my parents' doctors attended. They did med school and residency there. They never ventured out of MS to study or observe other methods or schools of thought.

My best friend is a nurse in the NICU of major hospital, and her husband is a neonatalogist. He studied in Boston, residency in Denver, fellowship in St. Louis and now is out west. They both complain about rural hospital doctors. What is happening in MS is common in rural areas. Sadly, it's not just a MS thing.

My GP in my new home state told me scary stories about her mom's friend's treatment in KY. My husband's uncle died in a rural KY hospital after doctor's failed to explain the severity of his cancer and the need for alternative treatment.

I think there comes a time when people have to help themselves. They have to seek second opinions and go to larger metro hospitals, if they want to live. Let's face it, most southern hospitals don't have large think tanks or research going on. You have to think BIGGER when your life is on the line. My parents learned this the hard way. They thought they would be fine in MS, and it almost cost my mom her life.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:43 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,092,714 times
MIssissipians can be their own worst enemies with their "don't mess with us attitude' and an unwillingness to give other pts. of view a chance before dismissing. But not all are like this. If you have an opportunity to live in "the other Mississippi" it is a very pleasant place. But it requires having access to this other demographic--more worldly, open-minded, enlightened Mississipians--and they do exist, particularly in the college and university towns and the larger urban areas. As far as medical care, there are physicians who have credentials from our finest institutions like Duke and Emory, but you have to do your homework and probably travel to a major center if you are in the countryside. I had two major surgeries in the past couple of years and had the best care possible. And I might add that if you find a good medical team you will also have a compassionate, respectful, and, supportive team as well. My experiences in other parts of the country were far less pleasant. Just to give a fuller picture...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi