U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-15-2013, 11:02 PM
 
1 posts, read 9,871 times
Reputation: 25

Advertisements

Mississippi is a beautiful state. I could see myself moving down south to Miss from Illinois someday. I love the woods, the mild winters, the southern accent, and the Magnolia trees.

Furthermore I don't understand why people hate on Mississippi all the time. I've visited a few times, been to Oxford and seen the Ole Miss campus (what a beautiful town!) Driven I-55 thru Miss a couple of times... Beautiful welcome centers, each staffed by a 24-hour security guard. Very scenic sights along the highway with the pineywoods and the rivers. I've heard the Natchez Trace Parkway is amazing, which it certainly appears to be from the photos I've seen. Of course, the mighty Mississippi River is breathtaking. Here in Illinois, the upper Mississippi is just a trickle compared to the lower Mississippi down south in MS and LA.

What is the Gulf Coast like? I've never been there, but I want to go badly! I hear it is a beautiful area down around Gulfport, Biloxi, and Pascagoula. I know the area was ravaged by Katrina but I figure it is rebuilt by now, at least to some degree?

I <3 Mississippi, it's like coming home
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-16-2013, 02:18 AM
 
1,098 posts, read 2,767,822 times
Reputation: 1046
Just returned from the MS Gulf Coast. Love the area. It's very diverse though so here's a summation: On the western end going towards New Orleans is Bay St. Louis. This is possibly the most beautiful town setting in Mississippi, perched overlooking the bay as it enters the Mississippi Sound, with exquisite historic homes and cottages, along with quaint restaurants and shops in small downtown area. The beach is also very charming, well away from the crowds and ideal as a place to walk and go with friends to play beach volleyball or just read and lay out in the sun.
Across the bay is Pass Christian, which is dream-like, with several miles of elegant historic coastal mansions overlooking the beach and streets lined with magnificent live oaks. Both towns are in the middle of expanding their marinas, which were already very active with yacht club sail boats as well as commercial shrimp and fishing boats.
Much of Long Beach and Gulfport's beachfront lots are still undeveloped since Katrina, with houses here and there. But everything is clean and green. Downtown Gulfport received a major historical renovation after Katrina and it's actually kind of a cool area now with several bars and restaurants and a really nice park adjacent to the port. The beach area is okay but the highway in this area is much busier and the beach seems untended to. There are tentative plans to move the highway inland several blocks which would make this area much nicer. Also the water is brackish saltwater and the clear green ocean water doesn't start until you get to the gorgeous barrier islands (Ship, Cat, Horn, and Petit Bois). So, without the small town charm of Bay St. Louis and Pass Christian, and more traffic on the beach highway, Gulfport functions more like a city that happens to have a beach. They do have a major working port that is due to expand with the expansion of the Panama Canal and a a great park for concerts downtown right next to the marina.
Biloxi is heavily developed with casinos, beach bars, malls, condos, the coliseum and convention center, gas stations, Waffle Houses, and in a couple of sections some beautiful homes. The highlight is the booming area around Beau Rivage casino (which looks exactly like the Bellagio in Las Vegas), next door Hard Rock and some great restaurants nearby (Mary Mahoney's, Half Shell and others). This is area is "rocking" and soon adding a AA pro baseball team and stadium across the street. Also nearby on the Back Bay is Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville which has the best setting for sitting by the water and the atmosphere perfectly captures the feel of the MS coast.
Across the beautiful Biloxi Bay bridge is Ocean Springs, with a downtown that is overflowing with restaurants and a residential area of quaint cottages and streets lined with giant live oaks arching over them. The community beach is ideal for walkers and families and the overall feel is like something out of a magazine.
The highlight are the stunning islands. Unlike the Sound which has very murky water color, the islands have clear green water and huge white sand beaches with giant dunes and sea oats. They are mostly all part of a national park. A ferry service only goes to Ship Island but private boat charters can be rented to spend a day (or more) for fishing, camping or enjoying the pristine beaches and nature.
Most people in Mississippi when they head with the family to the beach go to Florida, which is just a couple of hours away, because no ferry or charter boats are needed to get to the actual Gulf of Mexico beaches versus the manmade beaches on the Mississippi Sound on the mainland. People who live on the MS Gulf Coast are incredibly fortunate to enjoy such a unique location. Vacationers go for the combination of casinos and night life with daytime options such as trips to the islands, charter boat fishing, sitting by the pool, golf (there are many courses), shopping, or going to the spa...or enjoying the quaint historic towns on the Coast...and of course walks along the beach etc.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2013, 12:33 AM
 
211 posts, read 352,030 times
Reputation: 74
Good post. Then there is New Orleans just a short bus ride away (as I recall). I once took a tourist bus from New Orleans to Bay St Louis Ms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio View Post
Just returned from the MS Gulf Coast. Love the area. It's very diverse though so here's a summation: ............
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2013, 02:16 PM
 
433 posts, read 739,685 times
Reputation: 279
The coast is beautiful. I'm doing Orange Beach this labor day weekend because I've never been. Been doing Gulfport-Biloxi for years wanted to try the Alabama side. But like I said beautiful and lots of things to do.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2013, 12:13 PM
 
1,351 posts, read 3,777,242 times
Reputation: 1273
The posts are accurate and give the side of Mississippi that people oftn don't know about. But Mississippi can be very different depending on where you are. Most places are like that. I am from Pa and the city of Philadelphia and the Main Line and the northern mining towns are like night and day. And unfortunately for Mississippi its past is haunting and though amends are being made...it is a process...it takes time and effort to rebuild a damaged reputation. Hence Mississsippi "gets hated" even though there many positive aspects and change. These changes and its remarkable progress hopefully will become more known.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2013, 12:31 PM
 
2,491 posts, read 5,165,772 times
Reputation: 4575
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahfink View Post
Mississippi is a beautiful state. I could see myself moving down south to Miss from Illinois someday. I love the woods, the mild winters, the southern accent, and the Magnolia trees.

Furthermore I don't understand why people hate on Mississippi all the time. I've visited a few times, been to Oxford and seen the Ole Miss campus (what a beautiful town!) Driven I-55 thru Miss a couple of times... Beautiful welcome centers, each staffed by a 24-hour security guard. Very scenic sights along the highway with the pineywoods and the rivers. I've heard the Natchez Trace Parkway is amazing, which it certainly appears to be from the photos I've seen. Of course, the mighty Mississippi River is breathtaking. Here in Illinois, the upper Mississippi is just a trickle compared to the lower Mississippi down south in MS and LA.

What is the Gulf Coast like? I've never been there, but I want to go badly! I hear it is a beautiful area down around Gulfport, Biloxi, and Pascagoula. I know the area was ravaged by Katrina but I figure it is rebuilt by now, at least to some degree?

I <3 Mississippi, it's like coming home
I left when I graduated high school. My problem is that so many of the people in Mississippi and the general south are close minded. They want to blame the countries problems on "liberals" or the LGBT community or democrats or minorities, etc. If your religious affiliation does not align with theirs, it can be a problem. There are things that I miss now and again and things that I will always love. But it doesn't take too long whether it be a conversation with a relative, or a conversation with a complete stranger from Mississippi who finds out that's where I’m from, to remind me why I left. I'm a white hetero male. An Army vet at that. I think that sometimes makes them think I’m one of “them” and allows me to hear dialogue an outsider wouldn’t get to hear. Things have progressed, but for me, it's still too conservative (the most conservative state in the country), too religious and with too much concern over what others do with their lives even when it has no effect on them. Mississippi also leads the nation in illiteracy, obesity, diabetes, and heart disease. It is dead last economically, with the lowest per capita income in the country.
It’s hard to champion a state, when it’s number one in poverty and low income. Meanwhile, it being staunchly religious and stubborn in its antiquated views.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2013, 03:19 PM
 
2,319 posts, read 4,322,877 times
Reputation: 2092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
I left when I graduated high school. My problem is that so many of the people in Mississippi and the general south are close minded. They want to blame the countries problems on "liberals" or the LGBT community or democrats or minorities, etc. If your religious affiliation does not align with theirs, it can be a problem. There are things that I miss now and again and things that I will always love. But it doesn't take too long whether it be a conversation with a relative, or a conversation with a complete stranger from Mississippi who finds out that's where I’m from, to remind me why I left. I'm a white hetero male. An Army vet at that. I think that sometimes makes them think I’m one of “them” and allows me to hear dialogue an outsider wouldn’t get to hear. Things have progressed, but for me, it's still too conservative (the most conservative state in the country), too religious and with too much concern over what others do with their lives even when it has no effect on them. Mississippi also leads the nation in illiteracy, obesity, diabetes, and heart disease. It is dead last economically, with the lowest per capita income in the country.
It’s hard to champion a state, when it’s number one in poverty and low income. Meanwhile, it being staunchly religious and stubborn in its antiquated views.
I agree. I left after graduating from college. My parents FINALLY left last year to be near a cancer research hospital (the hospital in Tupelo nearly killed my mom twice).

I have two amendments to the above post:

I would add to the above post that medical care in the majority of the state is inadequate. My parents were driving two hours to Tupelo for care because their local hospital is a very bad one. They routinely hold patients before transferring them to Tupelo, and in many cases hold them WAY too long (like when my dad had a major heart attack and they held him for 6 hours before transferring him).

I would delete that there are things I love about the state. For me, I don't. I am glad that other people like it there. It's good that they have found a home, a place they connect to and love. I have found that elsewhere.

The OP wants to know why MS gets a bad rap. Well, from my POV, it has to do with everything Ankhharu mentioned: religion, politics (extremely antiquated ideas, IMO), women's rights, economics, LGBT issues, and health care. Even though the Gulf Coast is supposed to be more progressive (I have never lived there so I can't attest to this), the majority of the state is not. Reading friends' FB posts or news articles about events and conditions usually makes me either sad or livid.

I'm really not trying to bash MS. These are my opinions and my experiences. Our family is much happier and healthier since leaving NE MS. None of us will ever return. I wish the best of those who live there and especially to those who love it there. We aren't all the same, and I think that's a good thing.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2013, 04:19 PM
 
Location: Somewhere flat in Mississippi
10,062 posts, read 10,610,448 times
Reputation: 7168
I remember a sign in a pharmacy that read "On the eighth day, God created Mississippi". We have our problems, but we don't want to be the Northeast or the "Left Coast".
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2013, 04:39 PM
 
789 posts, read 936,412 times
Reputation: 1712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I remember a sign in a pharmacy that read "On the eighth day, God created Mississippi". We have our problems, but we don't want to be the Northeast or the "Left Coast".

It didnt take you long to reinforce those last two posters points about MS
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2013, 04:50 PM
 
Location: Somewhere flat in Mississippi
10,062 posts, read 10,610,448 times
Reputation: 7168
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
It didnt take you long to reinforce those last two posters points about MS
I don't care! I love my home state! I'm sick of everyone else telling Mississippians and Southerners in general that we need to be "more like (insert "progressive" state of choice)". If things are so bad, why are people from those other states moving to the South?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top