U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2013, 01:27 AM

2 posts, read 4,237 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.

I'm currently looking at reconsidering a move from Minnesota to Mississippi. I live in a town of 4,000 in the northern part of the state, so I'm use to isolation and traveling for shopping, events, etc. The area that I've consider is the southern half of the state, along the gulf coast, that includes the cities/towns of: Gulf Port, Biloxi, Bay St. Louis, Ocean, Springs, and Pascagoula. Also I've looked into the Hattiesburg area and Picayune.
I'm currently looking at applying for jobs in the law enforcement field and planning on visiting the area soon. I just graduated college and I'm 23 years old and single. I'm looking for a decent area to live with nice housing, things for younger people to do, like fun bars/events. I'm also a big outdoors person and like to hunt, 4 wheel, fish, and waterski and boating.

Any help or pointers would be great for people that visit or live in the area to give me your insight.
And why I picked the area, is after researching a little I like the weather and have visited many states within the region and enjoyed it, and most of all looking for a change of pace to live somewhere different to live.
Thanks so much!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 06:50 AM

7,214 posts, read 5,374,541 times
I lived in Ocean Springs for three years and I would recommend it. However, if you live near the Gulf, generally South of I-10, homeowners insurance is expensive.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:56 AM

1,353 posts, read 3,917,289 times
You would probably be quite happy here because of your interests. Costs may vary as insurance and housing can be different. You will find very affordable housing, but retail is about the same and food is taxed. At the same time, salaries can be low. The Hattiesburg area doesn't have to evacuate for hurricanes (usually) while the coast does, but is near enough to enjoy the activities. Hattiesburg is offering newly refurbished lofts downtown which is an area with bars and music venues. Check it all out when you visit. Come in the summer...and if that is ok...then weather should be no problem. You can be outdoors all winter.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:45 PM

1,098 posts, read 2,925,612 times
Biloxi sounds like a good choice for you. Housing is cheap and it's right in the center of all the action.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,685 times
Yes I agree with brickpatio, Biloxi would be a great place for you given the fact your age and relationship status. Its a type of city that will fit your interests perfect. Cost of living is reasonable since an entry police officer will be making around $35,000 in Biloxi. They are hiring there also. If you are looking for Law Enforcement jobs in Alabama or anywhere in the US, take a look at this site [URL="http://www.blueandredjobs.com"]www.blueandredjobs.com[/URL] . Free to join and has nation wide listings.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:00 PM

433 posts, read 791,483 times
You can't go wrong on the coast. Ocean Springs or Biloxi, are all good areas. I do not know so much about North Gulfport. You have Orange Grove in that neighborhood and it can get criminally active some times.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:48 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,898,761 times
I love the fact you are thinking of moving to lower Mississippi. People are so nice in Mississippi and we've never had any problems although there have been other threads warning of danger or of other dreadful things. I've wanted to move to that area for quite a while, but my other half just isn't ready to make the move yet. We travel to the Biloxi area each year in the fall for a classic car show and stay a week or more. Our daughter's family used to live in the Biloxi area and our grandson was born there, so we used to make the 13 hour trek from the Midwest many times during the 4 years they were there. I love Ocean Springs and even some of the small towns north of the gulf area.

Hope you find an area which is good for you. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi