Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: As a resident of Missisippi, do you consider yourself first to be
A Mississippian 9 27.27%
A Southerner 9 27.27%
An American 15 45.45%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 01:54 PM

428 posts, read 848,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishabad View Post
As a resident of my state which is not Missippi, granted I consider myself an american and then a Connecticutian and then my region.
First off you did not spell Mississippi correctly. I guess they do not teach spelling in your state. secondly this thread is about Mississippi not Connecticut. So why are you on here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
And I pull for the Dawgs over the Rebels.

This part of the state is full of fans of both MS teams as well as Volunteer fans and a bunch of Memphis Tiger fans. I'm ready to display my cardinal and white (Hogs) and my kelly green and white (boll weevils) colors during the upcoming season.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I actually say I am a Southerner by nature. And I am the only one in my family.

We were raised in Alabama by a single mother from Boston. In fact I was born in Boston. There were no other relatives, and when we graduated from high school, each of us four siblings and half siblings went separate directions.
This makes me kind of unique among Southerners, who usually say they have strong family values and ties. I have none.

I traveled the world for 50 years and did what I did. But I am a Southerner by nature, if there is such a thing.
I do not have a problem with Boston. I actually like Boston. It is the only city on the north east coast I do like.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:03 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,653,820 times
Interesting idea. I live in Texas, I was not born here. I am slowly turning into a "Texan". I think the "natives" here identify as Texan and then American. I like Mississippi love the trees the green and the history. I dont see it as having a "brand" like Texas. We have corn chips in the shape of the state here. The "Star" (lone star state) is everywhere here.

Born on the west coast. I never identified with my home state as much as my home town. I think a lot of people probably feel that way too. I would imagine someone born and raised in Jackson, Mississippi would identify with the city first.

Let me know if I am wrong.

City identity is very strong in New Orleans. That city certainly has a "brand".

Old 08-27-2013, 04:04 PM

8 posts, read 13,290 times
I am a Mississippian first and foremost, no matter where I go, for better or worse. Then Southerner, then American. That may not be the right way to go about it, but I can't help it.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:37 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,166,824 times
I consider myself a southerner first, second a Mississippian, and last an American.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:50 PM

49 posts, read 70,425 times
I'm an American the same way a Tibetan is Chinese, my country is under occupation and has been annexed thus my taxes are paid to America and their flag flies over my country. Southerner first. I wasn't born in the South but I am of southern heritage paternally and currently live in what was CSA territory.

At day's end, this is the flag I pledge allegiance too and that flies in front of every home I live in.

And these are my founding fathers

Old 06-09-2015, 08:31 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,410,807 times
I'm an American first. I may be a Mississippian, but I don't really consider myself southern. Maybe it's because I don't speak with a southern accent, don't eat watermelons and don't drink sweet tea.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:58 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden eagles fan View Post
I'm an American first. I may be a Mississippian, but I don't really consider myself southern. Maybe it's because I don't speak with a southern accent, don't eat watermelons and don't drink sweet tea.
You are definitely not Southern.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:49 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
A question for the people who consider their selves Southerners before they consider their selves as an American, do y'all wish, or secretly wish the South had won the Civil War? Sounds like to me you're putting your region above your country. Do you feel more aligned with the Confederacy than you do with the United States?

I'm not trying to argue or start something. I'm just curious why you would put your region above your country .

I have never met anybody in the West, the Midwest or the Northeast, who consider their selves to be Westerners, Midwesterners or Northeasterners before they are Americans.

I never heard anybody in Indiana to consider their selves as Hoosier before they are Americans, and Hoosiers are extremely proud to call theirselves Hoosiers, but they consider their selves Americans first and foremost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
View detailed profiles of: