Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 08:35 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Yes, then, I would be a proponent of some kind of universal health care. I consider health care to be essential basic infrastructure. Similar to roads, the power grid, a communication network, and public schools, health care should not be limited to the rich.
But isn't "some kind of universal health care" what we already had? Isn't that why pregnant Mexicans walk across the border? I have an uninsured, penniless friend who had open heart surgery. Hospitals do turn down the worried well, but they don't turn away kids with broken arms. And people don't get shot during a robbery and then get turned down by hospitals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 09:54 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,244,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
But isn't "some kind of universal health care" what we already had? Isn't that why pregnant Mexicans walk across the border? I have an uninsured, penniless friend who had open heart surgery. Hospitals do turn down the worried well, but they don't turn away kids with broken arms. And people don't get shot during a robbery and then get turned down by hospitals.
No, pregnant Mexicans walk across the border because in spite of our problems, even Mississippi is MUCH better than Mexico. Also, to have a child who is a US citizen. And no, in spite of the conservative talk show blathering, if you aren't a US citizen you aren't eligible for Medicaid. They CAN get emergency care because emergency rooms are prohibited from turning critical patients away, but no Medicaid.

Anyway, this is so far off topic in both the thread and the Forum we're in dire risk of a closure.

My earlier posts stand. I'll agree that if an Ole Miss Law graduate was directly competing for a position with a Harvard Law grad the MS grad wouldn't have a fair chance. Same for a MS State engineer competing with a MIT engineer. But in my 20 years as an engineer, I have yet to compete with a single MIT grad (to the best of my knowledge). I've always been competing with Mizzou, K-State, Univ of Tenn, Georgia Tech, Auburn, and LSU grads. With them I can easily hold my own with my lowly Mississippi education.

If you want to spend the rest of your life in debt (or you have rich parents) then sure, go to a big name school. But if you want a quality education and a decent quality of life after graduation then do your research and go to a good public university. In Mississippi, that means Mississippi State for applied sciences (various Engineering degrees, Agriculture, Horticulture, Food Science, etc.) or to Vet school. Or Ole Miss for Law, Business, or Med. I don't know anything about the quality of either of their grade school teacher programs. If you're going for a throw-away degree like art, history, or English, then might as well go to a junior college.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:58 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,772,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
No, pregnant Mexicans walk across the border because in spite of our problems, even Mississippi is MUCH better than Mexico. Also, to have a child who is a US citizen. And no, in spite of the conservative talk show blathering, if you aren't a US citizen you aren't eligible for Medicaid. They CAN get emergency care because emergency rooms are prohibited from turning critical patients away, but no Medicaid.

Anyway, this is so far off topic in both the thread and the Forum we're in dire risk of a closure.

My earlier posts stand. I'll agree that if an Ole Miss Law graduate was directly competing for a position with a Harvard Law grad the MS grad wouldn't have a fair chance. Same for a MS State engineer competing with a MIT engineer. But in my 20 years as an engineer, I have yet to compete with a single MIT grad (to the best of my knowledge). I've always been competing with Mizzou, K-State, Univ of Tenn, Georgia Tech, Auburn, and LSU grads. With them I can easily hold my own with my lowly Mississippi education.

If you want to spend the rest of your life in debt (or you have rich parents) then sure, go to a big name school. But if you want a quality education and a decent quality of life after graduation then do your research and go to a good public university. In Mississippi, that means Mississippi State for applied sciences (various Engineering degrees, Agriculture, Horticulture, Food Science, etc.) or to Vet school. Or Ole Miss for Law, Business, or Med. I don't know anything about the quality of either of their grade school teacher programs. If you're going for a throw-away degree like art, history, or English, then might as well go to a junior college.
Very well said (about the Mississippi degrees)!

By the way, pregnant Mexicans are getting ambulance rides across the border, these days. No more walking! Is it any wonder hospitals in border regions are broke and having to shut down?

Old 08-24-2013, 10:40 PM

8 posts, read 13,290 times
I'm of the thought that while degrees do matter, its the interview skills, personality, etc. that matter most when it comes to that sort of thing.

A 21-year-old Columbia grad may be able to get an interview, but if said person uses the word "like" in place of mid-sentence punctuation like it's on sale...I wouldn't bank on that person being hired either. "I'm like, really excited to be, like, part of your company!"

Although my accent sounds like a bad cross between Foghorn Leghorn and Brett Favre, so maybe I shouldn't throw stones in this particular glass house.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northofmadseason View Post
...............Although my accent sounds like a bad cross between Foghorn Leghorn and Brett Favre, so maybe .............
Governor Barbour, is that YOU!?

Old 08-25-2013, 10:30 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northofmadseason View Post
I'm of the thought that while degrees do matter, its the interview skills, personality, etc. that matter most when it comes to that sort of thing.

A 21-year-old Columbia grad may be able to get an interview, but if said person uses the word "like" in place of mid-sentence punctuation like it's on sale...I wouldn't bank on that person being hired either. "I'm like, really excited to be, like, part of your company!"

Although my accent sounds like a bad cross between Foghorn Leghorn and Brett Favre, so maybe I shouldn't throw stones in this particular glass house.
I've worked with some extremely knowledgeable people who used "like" waaaayyyy too much. Mostly females in their 20's.

Even though I haven't had a job interview in 13 years, I do keep my y'alls and fixin's to a minimum until I am familiar with the person I am speaking with. I have introduced a lot of my Indian co-workers to different southern phrases.

In keeping with the subject of this thread, I did run into a few issues right after graduating college. I had one person say "Arkansas-Monticello? Isn't that a cow-college?" It took everything I had not to set him straight that it is a forestry school but my Computer Information Systems degree had the exact same classes as the other UofA schools including Fayetteville.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:37 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,972 times
........Referring to the original subject of this thread...............
" I suggest you folks check with SHEPARD SMITH of Fox news " !!!!!!!!

Old 08-26-2013, 08:46 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,164,518 times
My undergrad and grad degrees are from Mississippi State. I also went to high school in MS. Within 6 months of receivng my degree I left MS. I currently live in a Chicago suburb.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
My undergrad and grad degrees are from Mississippi State. I also went to high school in MS. Within 6 months of receivng my degree I left MS. I currently live in a Chicago suburb.
A familiar story, and one that we'll probably get to hear more as we go along. There are limited opportunities here in Mississippi for young educated people, so they leave. But, on the whole, there seems to be nothing wrong with getting your education here.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:04 PM

34 posts, read 73,343 times
If a person goes out to, say, California or New York with a degree from Ole Miss or MSU, will that degree carry the same weight as a person with the same qualifications only a degree from, say, University of Texas, or University of Minnesota, or Michigan or Ohio State?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi