Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-26-2013, 12:16 PM
 
Location: Johns Island
2,502 posts, read 4,439,225 times
Reputation: 3767

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Thunder View Post
If a person goes out to, say, California or New York with a degree from Ole Miss or MSU, will that degree carry the same weight as a person with the same qualifications only a degree from, say, University of Texas, or University of Minnesota, or Michigan or Ohio State?
Texas and Michigan are top universities, well respected across the country inn most every discipline they offer.

Minnesota and Ohio State, not so much. They are decent regional schools that are respected in the mid west but do not have strong national reputations.

Ole Miss and Miss State are fine if you're staying in the deep south. But don't expect to go to California and compete against Stanford and UC Berkeley grads. You will start off with a serious deficit.

Sent from my SPH-M950 using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-26-2013, 03:26 PM
 
Location: Chattanooga, TN
3,045 posts, read 5,246,315 times
Reputation: 5156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Thunder View Post
If a person goes out to, say, California or New York with a degree from Ole Miss or MSU, will that degree carry the same weight as a person with the same qualifications only a degree from, say, University of Texas, or University of Minnesota, or Michigan or Ohio State?
I don't know about California or New York, but our MS State engineering degrees and little experience carried plenty of weight when my ex-wife and I moved to Kansas City. Because it's the corporate headquarters (or at least the location of a major office) of such mega-engineering firms as Burns & McDonnell, Black & Vetch, HNTB, Walter P Moore, and Ellerbe Becket, I believe there are more engineers per capita in Kansas City than any other city in the US.

We were mostly competing against K-State, U-Kansas, and U-Missouri grads, but when my wife interviewed at Burns & McDonnell they were interested enough that they flew her up from Jackson, MS. If they were flying candidates from Mississippi, they were probably flying people from all over the country.

She got the job, I moved with her, and I had a job within 2 weeks.

Back to California and New York, a Mississippi degree probably would be a black-mark in those states, but more because people in those states tend to think Mississippi is filled with nothing but oppressed minorities and white KKK members doing the oppressing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2013, 07:22 PM
 
44 posts, read 50,351 times
Reputation: 23
don't kid yourselves, it does matter if your degree is from The UNIVERISTY of MISSISSIPPI or say The University of Chicago School of Business....or Wharton, or for that matter small liberal arts schools like Smith, Carlton, Grinnell, Boston College, Brandeis, Bowdoin. or Bard.
Can you say Stanford ???

If you think a degree from MISSISSIPPI is looked at the SAME, out here in the real business and/or academic world, then you're absolutely crazy.

You can look and see where MISSISSIPPI gets its OWN FACULTY.

I wouldn't send my dog to the only university in the nation officially known by a true "nick Name" (i.e. "Ole Miss") even if they gave my son a scholarship. There are too many better southern schools to choose from big and small...for illustration purposes ONLY :

Rhodes
Georgia Tech
Suwanee Univ of the South
Agnes Scott
Samford
Birmingham Southern
Christian Brothers
University of Virginia
VMI
Stetson

If a student plans to stick around Mississippi or W TN, or AL, then it might be fine, but the facts on the ground is there is still a stigma to many schools in the south, and especially in the horrible state of MISSISSIPPI.

I don't make the rules, but I'm not dumb enough to believe that the playing field, curriculum, status, perception, etc are all equal...they are not, and never have been.

Nope, The University of MISSISSIPPI is not on my kids short list or any list, neither are known "party schools".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2013, 07:57 PM
 
Location: NE Mississippi
25,578 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Reputation: 37339
My. Such omniscient points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2013, 09:53 PM
 
Location: NE Mississippi
25,578 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Reputation: 37339
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
I don't know about California or New York, but our MS State engineering degrees and little experience carried plenty of weight when my ex-wife and I moved to Kansas City. Because it's the corporate headquarters (or at least the location of a major office) of such mega-engineering firms as Burns & McDonnell, Black & Vetch, HNTB, Walter P Moore, and Ellerbe Becket, I believe there are more engineers per capita in Kansas City than any other city in the US.

We were mostly competing against K-State, U-Kansas, and U-Missouri grads, but when my wife interviewed at Burns & McDonnell they were interested enough that they flew her up from Jackson, MS. If they were flying candidates from Mississippi, they were probably flying people from all over the country.

She got the job, I moved with her, and I had a job within 2 weeks.

Back to California and New York, a Mississippi degree probably would be a black-mark in those states, but more because people in those states tend to think Mississippi is filled with nothing but oppressed minorities and white KKK members doing the oppressing.
After working alongside graduates from other colleges, could you notice any difference in performance? And, if you don't mind, what field of engineering?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2013, 11:12 PM
 
Location: Born in MS, currently in AR
8 posts, read 13,295 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Governor Barbour, is that YOU!?
Worse. It's the ghost of Ross Barnett and I have access to a computer. Don't ask how.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2013, 10:04 AM
 
Location: Chattanooga, TN
3,045 posts, read 5,246,315 times
Reputation: 5156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
After working alongside graduates from other colleges, could you notice any difference in performance? And, if you don't mind, what field of engineering?
I'm civil (emphasis on structural, although for the last several years I've been working in the power industry), my ex-wife is electrical.

As for performance, no, not a difference that is specific to colleges. I've long understood that while schooling does teach you "things", it's your ability to learn after leaving school that determines your success. So it doesn't matter where I graduated 17 years ago, what matters is that I passed my PE exam, I have continued to learn, and most importantly, what my co-workers and peers (references) say about me. Yes, a specific school may hurt or help you in getting your first job, and it definitely affects your quality of life in determining how long it takes to pay back student loans, but ultimately it's YOU and your actions that define the rest of your career.

I've worked with good and bad engineers from many schools. There are MIT grads who got that paper because their parents paid for it but who couldn't engineer their way out of a hole in the ground, while kids with drive and critical thinking skills who barely made it through a city college (mostly because they were married and working 2-3 jobs to pay for it) go on to be the best employees you've ever seen. And one of the smartest men I've ever known never known who knew more about designing power lines than any kid with an engineering degree never got higher than "designer" because he never went to school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2013, 01:24 PM
 
66 posts, read 101,406 times
Reputation: 28
Wow, at some of these posts...granted I haven't read them all. I will say this...when I was in high school, I applied to every university I could out of the state of Mississippi. I didn't do this because I thought they were inherently bad schools but because I wanted to leave Mississippi for good. I DID apply to the University of Mississippi...because at that time I felt that if I was going to give any Mississippi college a chance it would be Ole Miss. However, I got a little flack for applying to Ole Miss. Then my mother wanted me to apply to a closer university instead of all these out of state universities so at the last minute I applied to Mississippi State for appeasement purposes only. Long story short, I didn't get to go to the University of Michigan (for reasons I'd rather not get in to but I still regret to this day) and ended up spending two semesters at a local community college (I just wasn't feeling it but felt pressured to go SOMEWHERE). After those two semesers, I ended up spending two miserable years at the University of Southern Mississippi. I hated it from the jump and not to mention "it's the bottom of the barrel." <---That is what I was told...I ultimately agreed. I finally decided that I'd had enough; I did try to give Mississippi State another chance but they practically wanted me to start over. Um, no. I transferred and got my degree from the University of Alabama. I say all of this to say that I only wanted to go to top-rated schools and I applied to them. For different reasons, I didn't go to my first choice options. With the University of Alabama, I was satisfied that at the time it was (perhaps still is) a top 100 school in the U. S per U. S. News & Report. The universities in Mississippi didn't even make that list..they were considered second tier/third tier schools. As an aside, I will say that I haven't gotten far with my degree from the University of Alabama but perhaps that has more to do with what I majored in more than anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2013, 02:22 PM
 
Location: NE Mississippi
25,578 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Reputation: 37339
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyNMint View Post
............. As an aside, I will say that I haven't gotten far with my degree from the University of Alabama but perhaps that has more to do with what I majored in more than anything else.
So after all that, what DID you major in? Would you do it again, or select another field?

I know I ask a lot of questions, but I have grandchildren in college, and no firsthand experience.

PS: Got a joke for you; don't be offended. It's a joke.

Understanding Engineers:
The graduate with a science degree asks, "Why does it work?"
The graduate with an engineering degree asks, "How does it work?"
The graduate with an accounting degree asks, "How much will it cost?"
And the graduate with an arts degree asks, "Do you want fries with that?"

Last edited by Listener2307; 08-27-2013 at 02:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2013, 02:45 PM
 
66 posts, read 101,406 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
So after all that, what DID you major in? Would you do it again, or select another field?

I know I ask a lot of questions, but I have grandchildren in college, and no firsthand experience.

PS: Got a joke for you; don't be offended. It's a joke.

Understanding Engineers:
The graduate with a science degree asks, "Why does it work?"
The graduate with an engineering degree asks, "How does it work?"
The graduate with an accounting degree asks, "How much will it cost?"
And the graduate with an arts degree asks, "Do you want fries with that?"
Sent you a message before I read the joke guess you edited before I got a chance to see....hmppf. I have to admit it is funny. I should probably read the whole thread...is the subtopic about engineers? I thought I saw another post mentioning this...I was interested in a software engineer program once do I get any cool points for that? :-|
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top