Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 08:42 PM

25,732 posts, read 17,496,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyNMint View Post
Sent you a message before I read the joke guess you edited before I got a chance to see....hmppf. I have to admit it is funny. I should probably read the whole thread...is the subtopic about engineers? I thought I saw another post mentioning this...I was interested in a software engineer program once do I get any cool points for that? :-|
You set yourself the goal of finishing college, and tried to insure that you got into a good college.
THAT is cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 08:43 AM

66 posts, read 101,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
You set yourself the goal of finishing college, and tried to insure that you got into a good college.
THAT is cool.
Aw, thanks.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:29 PM

10,260 posts, read 21,831,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatchubawdyabout View Post
I assure you when you say I attended Dartmouth, you get a largely different reaction than if I said I went to University of MISSISSIPPI.

Period, end of story.
Who gets a different reaction, you or the person the above sentence is addressed to? Your switch from first to second person mid sentence makes your meaning unclear.

Is your meaning really "I assure you when I say I attended Dartmouth, <I> get a largely different reaction than if I said I went to the University of Mississippi"?

Or is it "I assure you when you say you attended Dartmouth, you get a largely different reaction than if you said you went..."

Old 08-31-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Who gets a different reaction, you or the person the above sentence is addressed to? Your switch from first to second person mid sentence makes your meaning unclear.

Is your meaning really "I assure you when I say I attended Dartmouth, <I> get a largely different reaction than if I said I went to the University of Mississippi"?

Or is it "I assure you when you say you attended Dartmouth, you get a largely different reaction than if you said you went..."
heh, heh......I guess we can safely assume that HE didn't go to Dartmouth.

But it has been well established that if a Dartmouth graduate competes with an Ole Miss graduate, then the Dartmouth graduate gets the nod.
Less well established is whether the Oklahoma (or Florida, or whatever) graduate get the nod over that same Ole Miss graduate.

And it seems to be the case that as your career unfolds and your degree gets older, it carries less and less weight.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:31 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,466,538 times
Quote:
But it has been well established that if a Dartmouth graduate competes with an Ole Miss graduate, then the Dartmouth graduate gets the nod.
Less well established is whether the Oklahoma (or Florida, or whatever) graduate get the nod over that same Ole Miss graduate.
Probably true that Ole Miss/MSU can compare against other equally mediocre state schools like Florida, Oklahoma, Nebraska, South Carolina, New Mexico, etc. I'm of the mind that if you're going to spend a sh!tload of money on college, spend that load at a school with a sterling reputation for the field of study you are interested in. Don't go to Ole Miss just because you grew up here and went to JA with all the others...

Quote:
And it seems to be the case that as your career unfolds and your degree gets older, it carries less and less weight.
True, but I know that when I was hiring, seeing elite schools on a resume made me pay more attention, even to people with 10, 20 or more years of work experience. It's one way to separate yourself from the pack.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
..........True, but I know that when I was hiring, seeing elite schools on a resume made me pay more attention, even to people with 10, 20 or more years of work experience. It's one way to separate yourself from the pack.
Yeah. I think you're right. If a student has got the grades, the SAT, and the money or the scholarship he'd be foolish to go to Ole Miss "'cause they got a better football program", which, stupidly enough, is how a lot of students get there.

And if any boys and girls are out there listening, separating yourself from the pack is important. Running with the pack is no fun when the pack is getting trounced the way they are these days.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:02 PM

Don't really understand it.
Put someone on your ignore list and he changes 1 letter in his name and comes right back. OK. So now I've got 2 people on my ignore list.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:01 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,561,345 times
Quote:
heh, heh......I guess we can safely assume that HE didn't go to Dartmouth.

First it depends on the region in which you are applying for a job. Some schools are regional and others are national. I would argue that the University of Virginia a national school and Ole Miss is a regional school. If you leave your region then you may not get the benefit of the doubt from an employer.

For the most part, I bet that most of the large state schools are pretty similar. Only a few are truly considered national. Berkeley, UVA, UNC, Michigan, UCLA. A few are close, Texas and Penn State.

Objectively, it would seem that graduate school admissions may be the best indicator of a schools reputation.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:54 PM

45 posts, read 109,642 times
Ole Miss' mission isn't to be MIT or Stanford. It is a state-supported university that is supposed to provide maximum educational opportunities for Mississippians. For legal reasons Ole Miss can't raise its admission standards, as it would reduce the percentage of black students. So there it is.

Ole Miss routinely ranks as one of the prettiest campuses in America. The small size of the town is perfect for some, hated by others. It's great to have choices.

About 10 or 15 years ago Ole Miss revamped its honors program and opened the McDonnell-Barksdale Honors College. This has gotten a lot of funding from Jim Barksdale, founder of Netscape and an Ole Miss grad. Students in the honors college will take one-third to one-half of their classes in "honors" classes, which are limited to students in the honors college. They have their own dorm and an old sorority house serves as their social and academic center. There are roughly 1,000 students in the honors college. Last year the average ACT score of entering freshmen in the honors college was greater than 31. This is higher than all but perhaps a dozen or so of this country's most elite colleges.

Now, if you aren't smart enough to get in the honors college then you really aren't going to miss much by going to Ole Miss. You aren't smart enough to need an elite education. If you are smart enough to get into the honors college, then you will receive an education nearly on a par with the best schools in the nation. So Ole Miss really offers one as much as one can take. Of course, the various ratings don't show this.

In recent years Ole Miss has become a very popular school for out of state students. More than half of entering freshmen are now from out of state. A lot of these students are coming from Texas, where the 10 percent rule is denying many extremely smart kids from good, suburban schools the chance to attend the University of Texas. Supposedly there is an unwritten rule in Texas that children who can't get into UT have the option of attending SMU or Ole Miss. If they choose Ole Miss their parents buy them a BMW or Tahoe as a reward for choosing a much cheaper school.

As for the Ole Miss law school, it has gone from being very mediocre 30 years ago to pretty good. Yes, there are better, but if one wants to practice in Mississippi it is the place to go. There is a new law school building designed to handle 175 new students each year. The demand for law school slots is down and this year the law school accepted 112 new students. So they seem willing to let the numbers drop in order to keep up the standards. A family friend's daughter went to Yale undergrad and to Ole Miss for law school. After graduation she got a federal appeals clerkship. She certainly could have gained admission to a fancier law school, but it looks like she is doing just fine.

The Ole Miss accounting school is considered to be one of the 10 best in the entire nation. So it is not as good as most elite schools have; it is better.

The estimated total cost to attend Ole Miss one year for residents is around $22,500; for non-residents, $33,500. Students admitted to the honors college usually get substantial merit scholarships, and often attend for free with a substantial stipend. I'm sure students can spend more if they try. The cost to attend Vanderbilt is $61,000, but they didn't include transportation in that number, so bump it up to $65,000. And Vandy gives few merit scholarships, and those it does give are small in relation to total expenses.

So the question is, are you willing to take a free or nearly free education from Ole Miss in the honors college, or do you pay a quarter-million to attend a school like Vanderbilt? Everyone will have a different answer to that.

One more thing. Ole Miss is a socially active school with a relatively affluent and socially sophisticated student body when compared to most state schools. Most Ole Miss students will have a certain degree of social polish when they graduate. Of course, someone who seems socially polished in Jackson, Memphis, or Nashville might still come off as a bumpkin in Boston. That said, I know an entering freshman from Boston who chose Ole Miss over a lot of more elite schools. All it took was one day of attending a football game and socializing in the Grove.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:59 AM

45 posts, read 109,642 times
More on Ole Miss. The Patterson School of Accounting was just rated (again) in the top 10 in the nation for all programs by the Public Accounting Report.

From the Clarion-Ledger:
Quote:
In its August 2013 issue, the independent newsletter of the accounting profession ranks the Patterson School of Accountancy's undergraduate, master's and doctoral programs at Nos. 4, 5 and 8, respectively, in their categories. Last year, the undergraduate and master's programs were both ranked ninth.

The Patterson School's three programs are the highest ranked in the Southeastern Conference. Other SEC undergraduate programs ranked in the top 25 are Texas A&M (7), and the universities of Florida (9), Georgia (11), Missouri (12), Alabama (23) and Tennessee (24).

Other highly ranked master's programs include Texas A&M (8), Missouri (11), Florida (13), Georgia (14), Tennessee (24) and Alabama (26). The doctoral rankings include Texas A&M (10), Georgia (14), Missouri (16), Florida (19) and Alabama (24).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi