Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2013, 12:04 PM

82 posts, read 141,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
The bellboy, a soft spoken white kid with a classic Southern Accent that was no older than me pretty much wanted to strike up a conversation with us because we "had an accent". I thought it was fun, he always said things like Ma'am to my mom, so it was new to her.

My dad liked the battlefield, but when we stayed for the July 4th celebration, he was uncomfortable with all the black folk around. I didn't sense any real danger, there were cops around.

I live in Southern Arizona, little place called Safford, I never lived in a bigger city.

I'm thinking (and working towards) going to Graduate School in the South, Ole Miss is one of the schools in mind. Trust me I loved it in Mississippi, I still think it was the town of Natchez that won me over.
I'm an Ole Miss alum and I recently moved to PHX. I must say, and no offense, I don't care for AZ so I could be a bit biased. Ole Miss is beautiful because of the greenery and the fall colors, something you don't get in the desert very much. I don't know where you went to school, but I'm currently in graduate school at Arizona State University. It's strange for me being in Arizona beacuse everyone points out my accent. All of my co-workers call me either a Southern Gent or Southern Peach (I'm from Mississippi and I'm actually from Oxford- where Ole Miss is lovated) and notice my southern accent all the time.
To the OP. If I were you, I'd look at Oxford. Some say it is the Hollywood version of a Southern town and I would be inclined to agree. If you want Southern, you want Oxford. If you want Rural Southern, you want the Delta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 03:24 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,008,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MStoAZ View Post
I'm an Ole Miss alum and I recently moved to PHX. I must say, and no offense, I don't care for AZ so I could be a bit biased. Ole Miss is beautiful because of the greenery and the fall colors, something you don't get in the desert very much. I don't know where you went to school, but I'm currently in graduate school at Arizona State University. It's strange for me being in Arizona beacuse everyone points out my accent. All of my co-workers call me either a Southern Gent or Southern Peach (I'm from Mississippi and I'm actually from Oxford- where Ole Miss is lovated) and notice my southern accent all the time.
To the OP. If I were you, I'd look at Oxford. Some say it is the Hollywood version of a Southern town and I would be inclined to agree. If you want Southern, you want Oxford. If you want Rural Southern, you want the Delta.
Ain't it odd, I think similarly to what you said much of the time.

Even here where I work, I met a lady from Georgia, a lady from Alabama, and a lady from Mississippi and they all said I would like it!

So if I went out there, I'll be the weird sounding one.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:11 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,242,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadory View Post
With no deputies available at night, did you ever have to protect yourselves? Of course, people like you and your family wouldn't be as easily frightened as someone like me and therefore not as likely to grab a gun at the slightest noise.

My opinion is that the provisions you described provide ample insurance against an otherwise unstable individual or offender obtaining an "enhanced" carry permit. But, as you know, nothing is foolproof.

My father loved his rifles and handguns. And he was the most stable man in the world. He made the most beautiful stocks with intricate carvings on the "forestocks?" He sold them for a pretty handsome price! He did his own reloading too. But, even though I'm no stranger to guns, I think I'd probably faint at the sight of someone out of uniform carrying a gun. Especially here in Southern, CA.

Have there been an inordinate amount of mishaps in relationship to open "constitutional" carry?
No, we never had to actively protect ourselves, but in that area everyone knew everyone, and everyone knew who were hunters and able to protect themselves. Plus, for a rural area, we did have several neighbors around and our house was exposed with a bright yard light (you urban folk call them "street lights", except they're up near the house). However, I am aware of other people who lived in more secluded areas (directions include the phrase "turn off the paved road") who have had to fire weapons in defense.

Trending more off topic, but your comment about insurance against people obtaining the enhanced carry permit is typical of someone who has never been exposed to defensive carry. Logically, why would an "unstable individual" intent on doing harm bother to get a concealed carry permit in the first place, much less an enhanced permit? A permit requires the individual to put their name, address, and fingerprints into a government database, which is something a criminal would never willingly do. And an offender should never pass the background check. Ultimately, a piece of paper from the government will never stop someone intent on doing harm; if someone is intent on shooting up a school, do you honestly think they'll change their mind when they see a sign on the door saying that guns aren't allowed in schools?

Going further into "open carry", I'm not aware of any "incidents" (and a Google search didn't turn any up), but again is was just allowed starting a few months ago. Also, logically, if you see someone with a visible firearm in a holster you can almost be completely assured that the person is not a criminal. First, visible firearms draw attention to the wearer, and no criminal want to draw attention to himself and have people remembering what he looks like before he commits a crime. Second, anyone with a criminal record is prohibited by law from possessing a firearm. Only the stupidest criminal would give the police such an easy excuse for an arrest. On the other hand, if you spot someone with a pistol shoved into a waistband or actually in the person's hands while walking down the street, then perhaps heading the other direction is prudent.

Veering generally back on topic, the last few of my posts might have implied that everyone and their sister is walking around armed to the teeth. That is not the case; there are only about 64,000 permit holders in the entire state. My mom got a permit only because she carries large sums of cash for work. Mississippians aren't polite because they have to be so, they are polite because that's how they were raised.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:11 AM

560 posts, read 786,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
No, we never had to actively protect ourselves, but in that area everyone knew everyone, and everyone knew who were hunters and able to protect themselves. Plus, for a rural area, we did have several neighbors around and our house was exposed with a bright yard light (you urban folk call them "street lights", except they're up near the house). However, I am aware of other people who lived in more secluded areas (directions include the phrase "turn off the paved road") who have had to fire weapons in defense.

Trending more off topic, but your comment about insurance against people obtaining the enhanced carry permit is typical of someone who has never been exposed to defensive carry. Logically, why would an "unstable individual" intent on doing harm bother to get a concealed carry permit in the first place, much less an enhanced permit? A permit requires the individual to put their name, address, and fingerprints into a government database, which is something a criminal would never willingly do. And an offender should never pass the background check. Ultimately, a piece of paper from the government will never stop someone intent on doing harm; if someone is intent on shooting up a school, do you honestly think they'll change their mind when they see a sign on the door saying that guns aren't allowed in schools?

Going further into "open carry", I'm not aware of any "incidents" (and a Google search didn't turn any up), but again is was just allowed starting a few months ago. Also, logically, if you see someone with a visible firearm in a holster you can almost be completely assured that the person is not a criminal. First, visible firearms draw attention to the wearer, and no criminal want to draw attention to himself and have people remembering what he looks like before he commits a crime. Second, anyone with a criminal record is prohibited by law from possessing a firearm. Only the stupidest criminal would give the police such an easy excuse for an arrest. On the other hand, if you spot someone with a pistol shoved into a waistband or actually in the person's hands while walking down the street, then perhaps heading the other direction is prudent.

Veering generally back on topic, the last few of my posts might have implied that everyone and their sister is walking around armed to the teeth. That is not the case; there are only about 64,000 permit holders in the entire state. My mom got a permit only because she carries large sums of cash for work. Mississippians aren't polite because they have to be so, they are polite because that's how they were raised.
You made me laugh at what can only be described as my knee-jerk reaction. According to Atlantic Monthly:
"Today, more than 8 million vetted and (depending on the state) trained law abiding citizens possess state-issued "concealed carry" handgun permits, which allow them to carry a concealed handgun or another weapon in public. Anti-gun activists believe the expansion of concealed-carry permits represents a serious threat to public order. But what if, in fact, the reverse is true? Mightn't allowing more law-abiding private citizens to carry concealed weapons—when combined with other forms of stringent gun regulation—actually reduce gun violence?"
- Jeffrey Goldberg Nov 28 2012

Here's another fact: Concealed-carry permit holders commit crimes at a lower rate than the general population. Two criminologists, Marc Gertz and Gary Kleck did a study in the 1990's and conceded that guns were used defensively between 830,000 and 2.45 million times a year! What??? The two further state that. "In only a minority of these cases was a gun fired; the brandishing of a gun in front of a would-be mugger or burglar is usually enough to abort a crime in progress."

Goldberg also says something interesting about a kind of "learned helplessness." Interesting.

Thanks for sharing.
ps
Like a sign that reads:Stop Elder Abuse! Does the would be offender pause and say, "I'm going to stop beating up Grandpa!"

Last edited by Seadory; 10-09-2013 at 10:58 AM..

Old 10-09-2013, 12:49 PM

25,567 posts, read 17,275,200 times
"Learned Helplessness"

I love that term. My grandchildren have learned that they are helpless. Even my stepdaughter has "no place to turn" when her car tire needs air.
If the phrase was coined in the 90's, it has begun to be refined, nowadays.

Mississippi people, I think, are more independent than most places. Fix our own stuff, solve our own problems.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:58 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,649,074 times
Quote:
New Jersey and New York too? Sanctimonious is the word I was looking for in my initial post. I see it all the time. Perhaps some liberals, being ill-informed and ill-advised by a crazy media, use this as a convenient way to massage their egos. I wonder, maybe it's an inferiority complex that generates some pretty mean-spirited language.

Like you, it makes me uncomfortable. No excuse for ugly personal attacks.

I'm certain we'll do just fine.
Welcome

With your attitude, you'll do quite well

Old 10-09-2013, 10:14 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,649,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Quite well said.
Thank you

Quote:
And I don't know about Mississippi, but here 'quickly' has a whole different meaning than on the coast. There it means yesterday. Here if there is a hurry it means in a month. This is part of the lure, since most people who move to places like this don't like the rush, but then when the guy who is working on your house takes a month to finish what you'd expect them to finish in a few days that is the other side of the coin.
This gave me a chuckle.

I knew someone who relocated to SC, from NY.

In NY, this poor fellow was on several prescriptions, be it to control anxiety, to repair an ulcer, etc. His day started at six in the morning, and ran well into the night - sometimes until ten or eleven at night.

He had a nice lifestyle in NY, but that lifestyle came at a price.

Six months in SC, and the prescriptions went in the trash. No longer needed.

Quote:
People will not accept you if you bring your attitude with you. You moved into their backyard, not the reverse.
I chuckle when Southerners ask me "not to change anything." Why would I want to?

Go back to ugly people? Ten times the taxes? Politicians who want to regulate the size of soft drinks? Lunatics who suspend schoolchildren for forming their pop tart in the shape of a pistol?

No thanks.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:52 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Thank you

This gave me a chuckle.

I knew someone who relocated to SC, from NY.

In NY, this poor fellow was on several prescriptions, be it to control anxiety, to repair an ulcer, etc. His day started at six in the morning, and ran well into the night - sometimes until ten or eleven at night.

He had a nice lifestyle in NY, but that lifestyle came at a price.

Six months in SC, and the prescriptions went in the trash. No longer needed.

I chuckle when Southerners ask me "not to change anything." Why would I want to?

Go back to ugly people? Ten times the taxes? Politicians who want to regulate the size of soft drinks? Lunatics who suspend schoolchildren for forming their pop tart in the shape of a pistol?

No thanks.
I was on anxiety/depression meds in California. I couldn't take all the stress inherant in life there. Sometimes I'd take this one bus line which was close and went all the way around the city. Not to go anywere but to NOT be in a hurry. Most people hated taking the bus, but when the weather was okay I really didn't mind. Lots less stress sitting on the bus then battling all those cars. I react negatively side effect wise to meds and about six months of very gentle reduction of dosage and my two bottles ran out and were never replaced. I felt like I had found myself again.

I think the major difference between me and the locals may be politics, but then I didn't agree with the dominant sides in California either. I'm 'eclectic' and don't go into details. I figure its private. I just say lets agree to disagree.

I know most of my neighbors have guns. One was using the backyard for target practice and has fortunately moved since. I don't think its legal in town. Town isn't that big that you can't go out without too much trouble. I also know a LOT of the gang bangers in Riverside were probably unofficially armed, and I don't worry about my neighbors, but gave the gang bangers lots of room. No matter how much you try, those who really want one WILL carrry a gun. Even if they are by far the last you want to.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:25 AM

560 posts, read 786,369 times
Quote:
I was on anxiety/depression meds in California. I couldn't take all the stress inherant in life there. Sometimes I'd take this one bus line which was close and went all the way around the city. Not to go anywere but to NOT be in a hurry. Most people hated taking the bus, but when the weather was okay I really didn't mind. Lots less stress sitting on the bus then battling all those cars. I react negatively side effect wise to meds and about six months of very gentle reduction of dosage and my two bottles ran out and were never replaced. I felt like I had found myself again.

I think the major difference between me and the locals may be politics, but then I didn't agree with the dominant sides in California either. I'm 'eclectic' and don't go into details. I figure its private. I just say lets agree to disagree.

I know most of my neighbors have guns. One was using the backyard for target practice and has fortunately moved since. I don't think its legal in town. Town isn't that big that you can't go out without too much trouble. I also know a LOT of the gang bangers in Riverside were probably unofficially armed, and I don't worry about my neighbors, but gave the gang bangers lots of room. No matter how much you try, those who really want one WILL carrry a gun. Even if they are by far the last you want to.
Thank you for your contributions nightbird.

According to federal law enforcement violence targeted at blacks by Latino gang members has been taking place at an astonishing rate all around CAlifornia. These folks are armed to the teeth and are quite territorial. I've grown accustomed to their presence here in the surrounding areas of Long Beach and other counties. Hispanics, Whites, Asains, Black gangs—all have a long history here. I've never been directly affected.

When my mother was young she remembers the Pachucos. Anyone remember the Zoot suit riots? Pretty sure that they occurred here in L.A. only. I'm sure there's tons about it online.

One morning, back when I lived downtown L.B., my (loaner) car had been spray painted with the letters SWP. I guess that the Southwest Pirus didn't recognize the car and therefore felt it necessary to earmark it.

Last edited by Seadory; 10-10-2013 at 10:50 AM..

Old 10-11-2013, 12:38 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Thank you for your contributions nightbird.

According to federal law enforcement violence targeted at blacks by Latino gang members has been taking place at an astonishing rate all around CAlifornia. These folks are armed to the teeth and are quite territorial. I've grown accustomed to their presence here in the surrounding areas of Long Beach and other counties. Hispanics, Whites, Asains, Black gangs—all have a long history here. I've never been directly affected.

When my mother was young she remembers the Pachucos. Anyone remember the Zoot suit riots? Pretty sure that they occurred here in L.A. only. I'm sure there's tons about it online.

One morning, back when I lived downtown L.B., my (loaner) car had been spray painted with the letters SWP. I guess that the Southwest Pirus didn't recognize the car and therefore felt it necessary to earmark it.
Back around ten years ago, there was this great nighttime street fair in Riverside which ran nearly have the year on Wednesday night. The regular spirng celebration was so crowded you couldn't walk through so I didn't go, but Loved Wednesday Night. I knew a lot of the sellers and they had a live band, and a few of the sellers were performers selling their cd's. The food was good and I went every night. There were police wall to wall so it even felt okay to be downtown at ten o'clock.

Then it was ended. At the Orangeblossom Festival, a few weeks before, the krupts and their rival had come and lined either side of the street to watch each other. Then a neonazi gang decidided the march down the middle. With regular fairgoers around, the hispanic and black gangs decided it was a worthy cause to join up this time. They went after the nazis together, and then each other. It turned into a riot. Several people were killed and others injured. The whole street was shut down.

The company running both that and Wednesday night had their contract pulled since they provided private security and it was judged they failed. Several groups tried to continue the evening version but the bond was too expensive.

The gang problem there was often in the shadows, and if you lived in a nicer area did not mean they weren't there, just not so visible. But every now and then someone would pull the curtain. A few months before I moved, just in front of Walmart, a couple of cars had a minor fender bender. The car in back had the driver come out to the car in the front. They were with two different gangs. The two in the first car were stabbed to death and the back car drove off. This on a main street of the city in front of a busy Walmart.

This was one of the things that encouraged my efforts to get out of town. My apartment didn't have gangs inside, but outside the enterance they had their signs. I think if a shtf moment comes, there's those all ready to go and take over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi