Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2007, 07:47 PM

2 posts, read 6,083 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to MS in April 08 and will be looking to purchase a house. Your opinions and ideas would greatly be appreciated. We are looking for more of a country setting/small school district, but good one too. We have a price range up to 175,000 and need advice for this type of setting. My husband will be at the Seabee base so we don't mind a 45 minute commute as long as it is worth the drive for where we live!!! How are taxes/insurance rates? Thanks for your advice!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 03:53 PM

12 posts, read 41,898 times
dont know if you saw my reply but, ocean springs comes highly recommended by many folks who live there. the commute i am told is approx 45 min but worth the drive. it a nice artsy kind of community and very family oriented with top rated schools. the wool market area above biloxi is another area abit closer to the seabee base. this area i am told is more rural and above the I10. i belive north woolmarket is rated 2nd highest in the state. we hope to buy there. the commute time is less however, there are not many homes to choose from in this area. they are abit pricey as are most homes within desirable school districts. buying in a higher elevation will save you $$$ on insurance. check out the fema website for flood maps/elevation info and greatschools.net for public school ratings/ reviews on schools in the gulf coast. -the rating system has flaws but, is fairly accurate.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:09 PM

12 posts, read 41,898 times
oh and i almost forgot - budjet approx $2k for insurance (above the I10) prices depend on how close to the coast/flood risk you are. taxes are alittle cheaper in ms than most other states but, ive been told budget an additional $3-3,500k yr for taxes. of course this depends on the value of your home.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:17 AM

3 posts, read 10,702 times
Default a couple realtor sites in the area

[FONT=Arial]My husband and I relocated to Gulfport last month and considered moving to rural areas of Saucier, and McHenry. Tax rates are better too. Both have some new communities that are in progress and a few that have not broke ground yet. Lots are 1/5 to 1 acre lots. There may be a few inventory homes that are ready to move in. Contact realtor/builder Gaye Leggett, her website is gayeleggett. com. In a "perfect world" houses would be ready in 3-4 months. We only had about a month to find something to rent or buy.
I do not know about the schools, my children are grown so I did not check.

[mod] no referrals, please...it is against the Terms of Service [/mod]
a few areas we checked out...
Gulfport:
Meadowbrook Subdivision - off Landon Rd
English Manor Dr (D R Horton homes) - off Landon Rd
Hidden Oaks Subdivision - off Three Rivers Rd

Woolmarket & North Biloxi:
Shadow Creek- off Curry Rd from Lorraine Rd or from hwy 67

D'Iberbille
Coventry Estates- off hwy 15, and a development on Lamey Bridge

Ocean Springs:
Oakview Circle-Tucker Rd to Pine Blvd

Woolmarket new construction: Adams Homes
Gulfport new construction: D R Horton, Sunrise Homes,
Saucier: Edgewood Subdivision
McHenry: Beaver Dam Subdivision
Perkins: Cedarwood Subdivision

[/FONT]

Last edited by Sam I Am; 02-25-2008 at 05:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi