Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2014, 10:16 PM

6 posts, read 6,417 times

Advertisements

hi there, i'm currently involved with someone from Mississippi and I live in California. I've been to Mississippi many times and really love to visit. I'm looking to move there and was wondering how hard is it for someone from another state to get a job? i know it's a silly question but i have found, in California, we are not nearly as deeply rooted with family and friends. When I visit there I realize how deeply rooted everyone is and i'm guessing a job would be offered to a local resident then an outsider?

Also, i belong to "meetup" here in California and it's been great for socializing how does someone coming to the area meet new friends when it appears most friends have been long term?

thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 06:09 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,890,159 times
It really depends on your skillsets, location and desires. Education (school system) and health care (local hospital/medical clinics) are likely going to be the biggest employers in most communities. The areas around Jackson, Hattiesburg, Coast, Tupelo and Olive Branch/Southaven will have the most opportunities. If you are happy with part-time, entry-level employment, you will likely be able to find a job, albeit at a low wage.

Because of limited opportunities, there are not a lot of "outsiders" in MS; therefore, many social groups have deep roots and will be hard to break into. Churches are big deals in MS and are often the best way to make friends and socialize.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:50 AM

thank you viverlibre, i'm not the typical californian sterotype as i am originally from connecticut and im pretty down to earth, i usually have no problem meeting new friends, it's just finding the friends, church is always a great start.

i appreciate your recommendations on employment as well as i have been self employed most of my adult life and i am not looking to create anything there, i would welcome something entry level with opportunities to meet new potential friends.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:00 AM

25,554 posts, read 17,256,908 times
I don't really think you'll have much problem if there is something available. There are always some jobs that go to those applicants who are well connected, but it's not really all that prevalent.

It was a problem in Louisiana back when the oil industry was booming and a lot of people from other states were trying to get jobs. But that's down in Cajun Country and they are extremely well connected to each other. I'm lucky in that I look like one of them, so I always get a greeting, but then as soon as I open my mouth and say something they realize their mistake. Then they kind of study me. (Who dis Dood look lak one a us, an' ain't?")

So, come on over! We'd love to have you!

Old 03-15-2014, 09:11 PM

so i've been to Mississippi 7 times in the last 6 months, my boyfriend has been amazing at teaching me about Mississippi and introducing me to his friends...i'm still struggling with the best way to meet other women as from my experience most have lived in Mississippi all of their lives, they have church, football and hunting in common.

outside of working, any other suggestions on meeting people? i'm very good at making friends here in california.

thank you in advance

Old 03-16-2014, 10:04 AM

25,554 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livin42day365 View Post
so i've been to Mississippi 7 times in the last 6 months, my boyfriend has been amazing at teaching me about Mississippi and introducing me to his friends...i'm still struggling with the best way to meet other women as from my experience most have lived in Mississippi all of their lives, they have church, football and hunting in common.

outside of working, any other suggestions on meeting people? i'm very good at making friends here in california.

thank you in advance
Because you are shuttling back and forth you will probably continue to form temporary acquaintances more than friendships. As you noted, probably 70% of the people you meet are from Mississippi and have never lived anywhere else.
My wife is from Mississippi. I took her to Texas for a few years and she experienced the same thing you are. It seemed to her that everyone was from Texas and they all had known each other for years and years and they continuously talked about people and events she didn't know anything about.
Then we moved back to Mississippi. And guess what? She is engaged in the same sorts of behavior that she found to be such a turn-off in Texas. She and her friends talk about each other and look for each others' names in the paper, and speculate and on and on. I can't listen to it. So I don't.

It's a Southern thing. Southern women are the cattiest of the human species. They compete, compare, and promote themselves to no end. You will find friends, I am sure. But there are social circles that you will probably never break in to.

I am not discouraging you from moving to Mississippi. But I would be something less than honest if I did not point out to you that, contrary to popular myths, Mississippi social life is pretty much by invitation only. If you arrive with credentials declaring you to be an important academic official or a football coach, then no one cares where you came from. You're in. But arriving without credentials, not married, with no children, and with the need for a woman's social life, you will be challenged.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:09 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,108,334 times
That sounds like small towns, but less so in larger areas like DeSoto County, Jackson, Hattiesburg and the Coast, unless perhaps someone is trying to fit into conservative upper class social circles. Otherwise it's going to be like anywhere...workplace, neighborhood, church, gym, etc.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:20 AM

452 posts, read 897,999 times
Before moving you should find a job. If you are moving to be closer to him then I would question you on this...... If he is a true southern gentleman he should be willing to offer some guarantee that once you move there might be a ring involved. If he has not given you that impression then I would question his intentions. Small town women will talk about the new females coming into their town whether it is southern, northern, east, west, ethnic, etc. You are not going to be invited to all the functions unless accompanied by him. If it is a girls night out most likely you will be invited a few times out of formality. Enjoy your time with him when you are there but unless he says will you come move to MS for me and I have a job lined up for you etc. I would not move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi