Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 04:06 PM

88 posts, read 128,724 times

Advertisements

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pb...90033&gcheck=1

Facebook commenters lash out against U.S. Rep. Steven Palazzo's comments on same-sex marriage.

Quote:
Many Mississippians were among the 1,600 commenters mostly condemning U.S. Rep. Steven Palazzo for his recent Facebook post, itself a condemnation of Hollywood’s perceived support of same-sex marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 04:36 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,806,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kranium View Post
http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pb...90033&gcheck=1

Facebook commenters lash out against U.S. Rep. Steven Palazzo's comments on same-sex marriage.

I won't be one of those lashing out at Rep. Palazzo.

No doubt Palazzo has been called a "bigot" by these "open-minded" Magnolia Staters, but the late Joe Sobran once wrote that a bigot is "a guy caught practicing sociology without a license".

Old 01-29-2014, 05:27 PM

88 posts, read 128,724 times
Im a republican and don't care about who the person is marrying.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:23 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,893,070 times
The devil is in the details. The first line of the article states, "Many Mississippians were among the 1,600 commenters mostly condemning U.S. Rep. Steven Palazzo for his recent Facebook post, itself a condemnation of Hollywood’s perceived support of same-sex marriage." The article goes on to list two Mississippians as condeming Mr. Palazzo. I don't know how you can take two out of 1600 then extrapolate that out to be "many."

Just look at elections/polling numbers, any reasonably objective source can figure out that Mississipi voters overwhelmingly support traditional (male/female) marriage.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:37 PM

25,569 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
.....Just look at elections/polling numbers, any reasonably objective source can figure out that Mississipi voters overwhelmingly support traditional (male/female) marriage........
I wonder: Is support of traditional marriage the same as opposition to gay marriage? Maybe not. Not in my case, but you'd actually have to talk to me to get that answer. A poll wouldn't do it.

I support traditional marriage as compared to the various forms of lack of commitment that are so prevalent today. But if a gay couple wants to get married I could not care less. Everyone, I think, needs a partner. A committed, life partner.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:10 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I wonder: Is support of traditional marriage the same as opposition to gay marriage? Maybe not. Not in my case, but you'd actually have to talk to me to get that answer. A poll wouldn't do it.

I support traditional marriage as compared to the various forms of lack of commitment that are so prevalent today. But if a gay couple wants to get married I could not care less. Everyone, I think, needs a partner. A committed, life partner.
When I think of the awful term "traditional marriage" I instantly think of brothers marrying sisters and having children of incest to tend the farm.

Marriage is a legal binding in this country, I'm so confused why so many people claim it as a purely religious union.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:46 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,770,556 times
Interesting! Usually, politicians from the Coast have white fathers, and voters generally haven't thought to find out the Mother's maiden name - which would offer a clue as to whether the politician was a white boy front for Mob interests.

But GOLLY! This guy seems to be the embodiment of what I've written about the Coast. And remember what I wrote, years ago, about two groups of subjugated peoples (one subjugated by Great Britain, and the other subjugated by Italy) imported by Southern planters, from Europe, with the intent of keeping them as virtual serfs, working Mississippi's plantations? ....and how those two groups (valued by the planters for their reputations for strong backs and weak minds ) have intermarried - the resultant hybrids having possibly become the dominant mix on the Coast?

Wow! And here he is, looking EXACTLY like the result you'd expect, after crossing Group A with Group B. Not everybody named Palazzo is necessarily Sicilian, even if it is a common name from around Palermo. But he shames us nonetheless. Already, our Daughter is saying that my 'Real Daddy' was 'Tunisian' (technically true, from an immigration standpoint... and with creeps like Palazzo bringing shame upon Sicilians, maybe she's smart to do so). Maybe I'll start saying that, too.

Hey, Palazzo dude! There's a new Pope. I'd say, "Learn from him, and unlearn the hatred you were taught in Church." And maybe you should read the latest Catechism, where respect for Homosexuals is clearly mandated. But, of course, we all know your anti-Gay-Marriage 'stance' is a bid for attention and votes - mere opportunism - opportunism that may backfire. I doubt you actually have any beliefs at all.

In any event, your cynical assumptions about the voters of Mississippi may have been incorrect.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 01-30-2014 at 12:01 AM..

Old 01-30-2014, 06:42 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,893,070 times
Unless you are reading something I am not, he never expressed any hate. He simply stated his opinion (that is also the majority opinion of his constituents). It is a sad day that one can't express an opinion that is contrary Hollywood’s and not be called a hater, racist, homophobe, etc.

He simply expressed an opinion, was never disrespectful or hateful and was/is vilified. Why doesn’t he get to express an opinion without being vilified, while those supporting the issue get to express theirs without anyone daring to disagree with them?

Old 01-30-2014, 09:12 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Unless you are reading something I am not, he never expressed any hate. He simply stated his opinion (that is also the majority opinion of his constituents). It is a sad day that one can't express an opinion that is contrary Hollywood’s and not be called a hater, racist, homophobe, etc.

He simply expressed an opinion, was never disrespectful or hateful and was/is vilified. Why doesn’t he get to express an opinion without being vilified, while those supporting the issue get to express theirs without anyone daring to disagree with them?
His opinion is irrelevant in the matters of others' lives. What right do I have to say that I don't want men and women getting married because it somehow "offends" me?

Old 01-30-2014, 10:28 AM

25,569 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
His opinion is irrelevant in the matters of others' lives. What right do I have to say that I don't want men and women getting married because it somehow "offends" me?
Amen, Brother!
If the leader of some particular religion says he doesn't want to marry gay people, that is his right. He doesn't have to do it and the gay people can just go somewhere else.
It's not the government's role - or any government official's role - to regulate that activity. It's not the government's role to force churches to marry someone they don't want to marry, and it's not the government's role to prevent any two human beings from joining in a marriage contract.

George Bush served the nation poorly on the day he signed the Defense of Marriage Act, which allows states to refuse to recognize same sex marriages granted legally in some other state. I voted for him, and I miss him, but on that day he chose poorly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi