U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2014, 04:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,294 times

Advertisements

All,

I am considering accepting a position with a rival firm located in Biloxi. I am single and from Atlanta and not sure what area would offer the most. What are the nice areas, walkable, and safe? Thank you for your input.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 08:44 PM

1,098 posts, read 2,946,823 times
You're in for a treat on the Coast. There aren't really any unsafe areas to speak of.
You might look at downtown Ocean Springs (sort of like Virginia-Highlands if it were a town and on the beach). Or in Biloxi you could look anywhere roughly in the vicinity of Pass Rd and Popps Ferry Rd, which is a nice middle class area with plenty of apartment complexes dotting the area; or in an older, somewhat bohemian Biloxi neighborhood near the beach roughly along Father Ryan Ave intersecting with St. Paul, St. Francis, and St Jude, or the suburban-feeling area of Biloxi just north of the Biloxi's back bay along Popps Ferry Rd.
You could check out downtown Gulfport, which was devastated by Hurricane Katrina but has done historical renovations in several square blocks and has a nice little collection of interesting bars and restaurants, with some very tasteful building renovations. They also have a great green space across from downtown by the marina and port of Gulfport called Jones Park, where they host concerts etc and is a good place to walk etc.
Lastly, further west there are some nice apartments right along the beach in the Long Beach. This is a mainly quiet residential area but you could live in a newish apartment complex (one called Arbor Station) right across from the beach...kind of amazing.
You could check out downtown Bay St. Louis, which is stunningly beautiful perched up overlooking the Bay of St. Louis and the gulf. There are many quaint cottages, a beautiful beachfront perfect walking and biking, and some colorful restaurants and stores in the small downtown area. From here Biloxi would be about a 30 minute drive along the beach highway.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:28 PM

433 posts, read 801,550 times
Anywhere within a mile or two of the Gulf of Mexico should fit your needs. Whether it is Long Beach, Gulfport, Biloxi, Ocean springs, or Pasgaoula; if it is within two miles of the beach it is walkable. Also the coast and Desoto county in the north are the most progressive areas of the state. Trust me take the position. The coast is better than Atlanta.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:35 AM

3,592 posts, read 5,225,442 times
As other posters have noted, it's ALL walkable and safe! They don't call the area "America's Riviera" for nothing! Check it out! Give it a look-see! It's groovy, even!

The Gulf Coast, besides being a mecca for honest businessmen since the days of pirates and conquistadors, is the spot where the sparkling waters and giant waves of the Gulf play backdrop to a scintillating social scene, featuring fabulous cars, fabulous fashions, and high culture of a sort only rivaled by throbbing metropolises like Atlanta, Flint, and Gary. The coast positively exuberates fabulosity.

First, lets take a stroll down the beach at Gulfport, with some nice college students from Fashionable Northeast Jackson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E07a-2q3zdI As I said, the Coast is a fashion mecca! Who knew you could wear fishnets under a bikini? It's like Fashion Week in Milan - only with more verve!

Then, let's amble on down the beach at beautiful Biloxi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5xA1P80dcQ Such athleticism and grace! And as you can see, it's all so walkable!

Of course, like Monte Carlo, the Mississippi Gulf Coast is a car enthusiast's dream. It isn't all about taking a stroll... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA4ClP0BqmU As you can see, nobility from all over the globe gather on America's Riviera, to be seen in their gleaming limousines. It's so elite, in fact, that I'd not heard of some of their aristocratic customs, such as Hairtrickin' and Impala Jumpin'. But then, I've never lived in such a progressive part of Mississippi.

I might also mention the therapeutic effects of all those thumpmobiles. Yes, they're great for cultivating deafness and making hair look extra-special. But they are also rumored to shake the cellulite right off one's body. That is probably why so many morbidly obese women are to be seen at such events as Scrapin' the Coast! Baden Baden may offer "The Waters", but America's Riviera offers Thumpmobile Therapy to an even more elite group of cognoscenti.

And then, there's the HISTORY! I guess the biggest thing to ever hit Biloxi (aside from Katrina) was Jayne Mansfield https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W1txqvc_Ow And a representative bit of history it was, since the Coast was known as a place where honest bidnismen from Jackson and New Orleans went, to meet beautiful women. My own dear Mom was one of those, and during the brief moment when she was a beauty, she was an entertainer at the fabled Tivoli Hotel (AKA 'The Tradewinds') http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...tel_Biloxi.jpg - given "Featured Girl" status, and entertaining from a "real nice room" there. It's where she met my Real Daddy, and surely is where she got her taste for Amber swag lamps, pecan-finish Masonite paneling, and two-tone hi-lo gold shag carpet. Not that we actually had any of those luxuries when I was growing up, as mom, probably to avoid ending up like Jayne, chose to retire to her rural roots and entertain in an abandoned sharecropper's shack - I mean "rustic cabin" - and sometimes in an old Buick one of her johns had dragged into the woods for her, so she'd have a nice place to work, out in the fresh air.

So, to second what other posters have said (and I'd love to know exactly what medications they've been prescribed, 'cause I want to buy more stock in whatever entities produce those miraculous Pharmaceuticals), "From the Edge of Alabama to the Edge of Louisiana, you can't go wrong, on Mississippi's Historic, Happening, and Beautiful Gulf Coast!"

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 02-13-2014 at 02:56 AM..

Old 02-13-2014, 08:01 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,508,447 times
This is easy, Ocean Springs. What I would give to be 32, single and living in OS!

Old 02-13-2014, 11:51 AM

23,036 posts, read 14,354,424 times
"Groovy"?
Ya gotta lay off the caffeine, Gloria.........

Yeah. Ocean Springs for sure. Be sure to check out their website

Old 02-18-2014, 11:53 AM

289 posts, read 283,781 times
Ocean Springs is walkable, in the sense that someone from Atlanta or another major city would use it, but only in the downtown region. Otherwise, there are very few walkable areas. Diamondhead has a few walkable blocks downtown as well. Otherwise, don't count on being able to walk anywhere, since the coast is very sprawled out and doesn't generally have "downtown" style areas. Biloxi has some nice areas, though it also has some rough patches. Basically, you want to either be north of Pass Rd. or on the beach. The area between Pass Rd and the beach between the airforce base and the coliseum has some very bad neighborhoods and apartment complexes, so I would stay away from there. Either go right bellow the AF base and east, or west of the Coliseum.

And if you don't want to drive everywhere, invest in a good bike. There really are not a lot of options for walking.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:19 PM

9,698 posts, read 6,828,095 times
being from atlanta, you won't like Biloxi but if I had to live anywhere it be north of I 10

Old 03-10-2014, 09:44 AM

2 posts, read 4,329 times
Gloria, you exuberate fabulosity, too. Very trenchant observations.

Mhenney, I'm also from Atlanta (30 years), recently moved to Biloxi. Biloxi is on a E-W peninsula with train tracks running down the middle. This stretches everything out, with a few bridges to cross the bay on the north and east sides, so that there aren't a lot of walkable areas in the Atlanta sense (like Va-Hi). You can walk to the beach, along the beach, around your neighborhood, or around downtown Ocean Springs. Otherwise, it's a short drive, then walk around. This will change when the new baseball stadium is built at I-110 and the beach road in downtown Biloxi. That's inspiring the redevelopment of retail, restaurants, and a music venue in the vicinity, where Katrina and the recession left a lot of holes (figurative and literal ones).

Old 03-10-2014, 01:45 PM

5 posts, read 7,975 times
Ocean Springs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi