U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 05:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ministers View Post
That's great to hear everyone, I stand corrected.
Hello Minister. I was born and raised in the Mississippi Delta and I'm now a minister living in California. I visit Mississippi on a yearly basis to see my family and friends. Most of the Delta area is not intergrated and there is one school in particular "Clarksdale High" who still has a black and white prom. I don't see much intergration when I go home and this also is my observation, not to offend. Most people especially non blacks don't really understand your question because they haven't had to live it and fully understand why the question needs to be addressed.
I went to a school with maybe 1 or 2 whites and that's only because it was in such a rural area they had no where else to go that they're parents could afford to travel and take them to said school. My children attend a very diverse school and I strongly understand your wanting them to have that experience and see the people of this nation as God sees them. I'm also the only black working at my job staffed with 10 people in the field of Veterinary Medicine and there clearly is a difference still in how we're viewed as a people. I have a sister who resides in Jackson, Ms and I will bring this question to her and see if it will be of any help to you. May God bless and keep you and the Holy Spirit guide you in your decision.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 09:36 PM

420 posts, read 1,197,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralCal View Post
Hello Minister. I was born and raised in the Mississippi Delta and I'm now a minister living in California. I visit Mississippi on a yearly basis to see my family and friends. Most of the Delta area is not intergrated and there is one school in particular "Clarksdale High" who still has a black and white prom. I don't see much intergration when I go home and this also is my observation, not to offend. Most people especially non blacks don't really understand your question because they haven't had to live it and fully understand why the question needs to be addressed.
I went to a school with maybe 1 or 2 whites and that's only because it was in such a rural area they had no where else to go that they're parents could afford to travel and take them to said school. My children attend a very diverse school and I strongly understand your wanting them to have that experience and see the people of this nation as God sees them. I'm also the only black working at my job staffed with 10 people in the field of Veterinary Medicine and there clearly is a difference still in how we're viewed as a people. I have a sister who resides in Jackson, Ms and I will bring this question to her and see if it will be of any help to you. May God bless and keep you and the Holy Spirit guide you in your decision.

Thank you for your time. I really did not see much intergration when I was in Mississippi. I hope that Mississippi can really catch up with the rest of the world, and intergrate. I'm not trying to offend anyone, but we really must start getting along here on earth, there will be no segregation in heaven. I'm looking forward to what your sister has to say. God Bless You and your Family!!! God Bless Mississippi!!! May the Lord really bring a racial healing to the world.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:13 AM

5,442 posts, read 3,146,694 times
ministers,

This is a "there's bad news, but.." kind of thing in the genuine sense of the word (I grew up less than an hour from the state line, in N. Louisiana; only 90 miles from Jackson).

It's probably true that there's not much in the way of residential integration relative to the size of the minority population. IMO, this is due to the strong income and poverty gap largely falling along racial lines. Even so, I think Madison (the richest whitest suburb of Jackson) is about 5% African American. Pearl, inner suburb to the east of Jackson, is about 20% Black (though I hear it has some degree of racial tension as well). Ridgeland (where I lived for 13 months) seems pretty integrated, by high school enrollment at least (I'd say about 20% Af Am).

Now if you're looking for a TOLERANT place, then I'd check out Jackson's Fondren and Belhaven neighborhoods, what locals call the "liberal hippie" area of town (though it's actually more of a moderate haven that an outright liberal one. Then again, this is Mississippi we're talking about, so this area actually is radically liberal by comparison). Minority population here is probably about 10%. Working class minorities might have trouble finding a place here, but for economic reasons if anything. Still, middle class people of all races, religions, sexual orientations, and political orientations should be able to find a place to fit in with just a little effort.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:04 AM

8 posts, read 37,050 times
i grew up in south Jackson and was in a very integrated neighborhood. i now live in the suburbs (ridgeland, madson county) and probably 80% of my apartment community is black or hispanic.

whoever is saying there aren't any integrated neighborhoods in mississippi apparently wasn't looking for one in the first place.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:07 AM

11 posts, read 42,069 times
I am originally from MS and I have lived in other places, but have been back here for about 12 yrs now. I live in Southern MS the Gulfcoast area(Perkinston/Wiggins) small rural town just between Gulfport and Hattiesburg. It is well intergrated, churches, schools. I myself attend a church that recieves all races. We believe in equality. My neighborhood is also intergrated. Most of my Neighbors are white with the excpetion of myself and a few others. I love it there and we all help eachother out and look out for eachother.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:01 AM

767 posts, read 2,198,701 times
Quote:
I hope that Mississippi can really catch up with the rest of the world, and intergrate. .
Perhaps we could change our states name and that would solve all of these perceptions.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:53 AM

420 posts, read 1,197,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarley View Post
Perhaps we could change our states name and that would solve all of these perceptions.

Let me rephrase what I said earlier, Mississippi by no means is the only state that suffers from racism, every state has this problem including Wisconsin. I'm just saying I want my kids to experience the type of childhood that I had. I had best friends who were white, black, and hispanic. I believe this prepares you more for the real world. I don't want him just to go to school with one particular race, but a diverse population. This is not being a liberal, this is being a christian. We are all created equal in the eyes of God.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:50 PM

767 posts, read 2,198,701 times
Well you did start the thread with "intergrated neighborhoods in MIssissippi". Now you have changed it to "racism". Come down, stay awhile, walk thru some schools, walk thru some neighborhoods. I don't have to tell you that a federal law was passed that intergrated all schools and another law that requires all neighborhoods to be intergrated.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:12 PM

11 posts, read 42,069 times
Again i have lived here all of my life and a lot of the racism that some others experienced i can honestly say i have not experienced it.(if i did then i was clueless) not in school, not on the job and not with my kids. my children have friends of different races, i encourage it. most of my friends with the exception of my immediate family are white/caucasian. as of right now i can say neither of my children have experienced any racism toward them. i myself am like you and only wish the best for everyone. one heaven one lord. so again i am sure there are problem areas but where i live i havent experienced it. like the other writer stated, you should come down, look around for yourself and see. maybe you can finally find some answers to the misconceptions on the news and in history. hope this helps

Old 12-03-2007, 11:23 PM

36 posts, read 165,871 times
Default Look again

Quote:
I'm from Wisconsin, and my parents are from Mississippi, and I noticed there is not alot of intergrated neighborhoods in Mississippi. Why not? I'm having reservations about even moving down to Mississippi in the future. What about the school systems? Are blacks and whites friends in Mississippi. Wow, I was really shocked.
Madison, MS has integrated neighborhoods and schools, as does Ridgeland, and much of Jackson. There is a lot of interfaith and interracial cooperation to help improve poorer areas of Jackson, particularly by building Habitat for Humanity houses in run down areas to improve the areas and decrease poverty and crime [we hope]. There are many interracial friendships among many people of different faiths. Come on down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi