Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 02:38 PM

420 posts, read 1,236,510 times

Advertisements

I'm from Wisconsin, and my parents are from Mississippi, and I noticed there is not alot of intergrated neighborhoods in Mississippi. Why not? I'm having reservations about even moving down to Mississippi in the future. What about the school systems? Are blacks and whites friends in Mississippi. Wow, I was really shocked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 04:04 PM

767 posts, read 2,291,261 times
The last time I drove thru Wis. I was really shocked. No people of color. Go in a McDonalds all the hired help is little old white ladies.

Old 12-01-2007, 05:35 PM

6 posts, read 27,508 times
I'm wondering how you noticed that Mississippi is not "intergrated". You say your parents are from Mississippi, so for you to be from Wisconsin, they had to move there from Mississippi, which would imply they are still there. Did they move back? or did you?

Madison is where I went to school. I lived in a very liberal housing co-op with 35 people....but not one black person. Nor was there a single one in any of my classes. Nor did I have any black professors.

I'm not claiming your wrong, as I don't have statistics myself, but I am interested in knowing where you got your information and what constitutes "a lot" of integrated neighborhoods? The searches I've just done are not comprehensive, but they certainly don't include Miss. in the least integrated, nor do they include Wisconsin in the most integrated. Much of the time, this pans out as no more than wishful thinking on the part of those who have demographic prejudices.

I just did a google search for "least integrated states" and saw articles mentioning Vermont, Wyoming, and Maine. Then I search for "most integrated state" and got this article from "Guardian Unlimited" saying that Kentucky is the most integrated:

Today in California and New York, less than 14% of black children go to schools in which whites constitute a majority. And in Michigan, Illinois and New York, over 60% of black students go to schools that are 90-100% ethnic minority - just like the all-black schools in the pre-Brown days. The most integrated state is Kentucky, a border state between north and south, with large black and white school-going populations and a large rural population. Rural and small-town districts are the most racially integrated in the country, but that does not completely account for Kentucky's record. More important is that, rather than follow the lead of Detroit and treat the city separately from the suburbs, Louisville, the largest and "blackest" city in Kentucky, abolished its city school district.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:06 PM

Default RE:Intergration in Mississippi

My parents are in the process of moving back to Mississippi. I have a sister in Mississippi and many relatives. In Wisconsin our next door neighbors are white, I do not see that in Mississippi. I hear the only place you guys have intergrated churches is in the Jackson area. I was down in Mississippi and I was going to visit this particular church, and I was told that it was a "white church," that is ridiculous. Don't get me wrong I feel the white southerners are very delightful, and friendly, I did not get that racist feeling from them at all. I'm just saying can you tell me some intergrated neighborhoods in Mississippi.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:35 PM

4 posts, read 15,345 times
Not really sure where in Mississippi you are referring to. I have lived her all my life and I have many neighbor who are black. I thought we were past the black/white thing. I know in Mississippi, we try to get past that and look at people for who they are inside. As a minister, you should no that in the eyes of our Lord we are all His children. You should only judge people by their character and not by the color of their skin because in every race, there are good and bad people. It sounds like the north has a lot to learn.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:53 PM

I'm just saying I want my kids to grow up around all races, that is how heaven will be. I think people really need to hear people out more, before they go on the attack. Where's the southern hospitality? I am making an observation from when I was in Mississippi. I have been making trips down there my entire life. I have visited Attala County, Leake County, Madison County, Hinds County, Rankin County, Holmes County, and many others I can not remember. I'm not trying to offend anyone, sorry if I did. I was just wondering, so calm down.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:16 PM

68 posts, read 261,044 times
Yes, I live in an integrated neighborhood, and yes, I have attended church with blacks and whites under the same roof! Your question promotes the kind of replies you've received....really....Mississippi still gets a bad rap and it's ridiculous to us!

Old 12-02-2007, 03:46 PM

Default RE:Mississippi Intergration

That's great to hear everyone, I stand corrected.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:31 PM

739 posts, read 2,186,201 times
I live now in western Massachusetts, in Greenfield, Franklin County, which is virtually all white so the schools are virtually all white, both students and teachers.

The cities of Springfield, MA and Holyoke,MA have large minority populations (different county but nearby). The schools are 75% to 80% minority students but only less than 25% minority teachers.

Massachusetts is a very segregated state as above, including Boston. I lived in rural Texas before and I found it much less racist than western Massachusetts, by far.

I often wish I'd stayed in Austin, Texas because Greenfield, Mass is way less tolerant, much more openly hostile than Texas ever was to me.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:43 PM

564 posts, read 2,341,479 times
To be truthful, in some areas, some blacks hate whites, and some whites hate blacks. It's not a universal truth, but it happens. There are some places in Mississippi that if you're white, I would NOT advise you to go through, just as there are if you were black.

The wonder of life is that sometimes some people just don't get along. I've lived in an area where I've gotten beaten up just for being white, and at the same time, had a black best friend. It's just the nature of the world.

But, trust me, there are some areas in every state in this nation that are racist, not just Mississippi. Again, it is true here, but it's true everywhere. Hollywood just likes to put Mississippi in more movies, for some reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi