U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2014, 07:18 PM

19 posts, read 25,958 times

Advertisements

I have been offered a job in Vancleave and if I accept will be moving with my 10 year old daughter, does anyone know if there are any apartments in Vancleave that are decent or if not what is the best nearest areas to look? Any specific apartments? My criteria and price range would be $600- $750 per month, in a safe area, clean and pest free. I don't need to be in the middle of a city (prefer to not be) suburbs or semi rural are ok. Would like a good school district that care about/values its students especially those who may not be perfect. Thank you!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 07:30 PM

796 posts, read 946,119 times
I know absolutely nothing about Vancleave.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:57 PM

Do you know anything about the surrounding areas and where a good place to live would be for us even if it wasn't in Vancleave?

Old 03-01-2014, 11:13 PM

I looked it up and you could easily live in Biloxi or Ocean Springs. But are less than half and hour away. Where are you from?

Old 03-02-2014, 01:56 PM

I'm originally from NJ but am currently living in the upstate of SC Anderson County, unfortunately there is not much in the way of work or anything else here though. The job offer from my friend would be paying me a wage I could have made easy about 8 years ago but these days is more than I've been able to get anywhere else. I am familiar with living in the south having also lived in TN and GA but don't know too much about MS like how accepting it is of outsiders, the quality of life, is it family oriented etc... My focus is on giving my daughter a good life somewhere that we can call home for the long haul.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:03 PM

If you live in Biloxi you won't have a problem period.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:17 PM

3,528 posts, read 5,100,925 times
For that kind of money, you can either have a nice apartment in a bad area, or a bad apartment in a good area. The high number of minorities in Mississippi means that in order to avoid abominable neighbors, you'll have to pay upwards of twelve hundred a month, to live anywhere without rampant 'crime' - or settle for a truly wretched little unit tucked behind someone's house in a good area.

And to find that wretched little unit, you're going to have to have locals networking for you. They'll have to SEE you, and meet your "less than perfect" daughter. Small landlords cannot run ads anymore, for properties they want to keep nice. It's all word of mouth.

It's very, very hard to find a decent, cheap place to rent, in most of Mississippi. That's a huge reason people don't move there. People turn down job offers all the time, because of that. As an employer, I can tell you that unless a prospective hire is willing/able to qualify for a home loan, he/she is going to keep looking, and get snapped-up by another company in another state - unless I can pull strings and find some unadvertized "hidden gem", somewhere, that they can afford on an intern's budget. Most employers don't do that. And most end up with the hires nobody else wanted.

Another reason people of modest means don't move to Mississippi is that the public schools are mostly horrible - more in terms of academics than school violence. But there's plenty of school violence.

People of child-bearing age face decisions like having themselves sterilized because they cannot reliably afford private school tuition, moving to whiter states to raise their kids, buying expensive houses in the one or two decent school districts left in the state, paying for private schools, or giving up their lives to homeschool. So, basically, if you're not a doctor or a lawyer or an insurance broker or a farmer farming over a thousand debt-free acres... it's pretty sucky trying to raise kids in Mississippi.

But it shouldn't be much suckier than South Carolina.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 03-02-2014 at 08:31 PM..

Old 03-02-2014, 08:26 PM

The person above never gives good infomation about anything. best thing to do is call your friend and ask her. She's more familiar with the area and can tell you where a good place to stay will be.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:31 PM

1,098 posts, read 2,924,026 times
I googled and quickly found some new-looking apartments in Vancleave called Highland Springs. Vancleave high school is ranked 22nd in the state out of 240 high schools and the upper elementary school scored fairly well also. This area is mostly rural but is just north of I-10 above Ocean Springs which is a very nice community with highly ranked schools. I'm sure you could find plenty of apartments there also or also in the adjacent St Martin school zone which is also highly ranked. Of the three, Vancleave is the most rural yet not far at all from the city.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio View Post
I googled and quickly found some new-looking apartments in Vancleave called Highland Springs. Vancleave high school is ranked 22nd in the state out of 240 high schools and the upper elementary school scored fairly well also. This area is mostly rural but is just north of I-10 above Ocean Springs which is a very nice community with highly ranked schools. I'm sure you could find plenty of apartments there also or also in the adjacent St Martin school zone which is also highly ranked. Of the three, Vancleave is the most rural yet not far at all from the city.

Thank you for finding that info for me I will definately check it out and appreciate your help . Do you know if Biloxi and/or Ocean Springs would be good potential places as well? I found quite a few apartments in both that seem to be within or just a little higher than my range, I want to bring my daughter into a safe area with a decent school district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi