Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 10:46 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,674,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Logic taken to it's natural end. You can use all the same arguments for polygamy and such as you can for gay marriage.

And I'm all for states that want to legalize whatever in their own states, just as long as other states get to outlaw it as they see fit. I'm not against California legalizing gay marriage or pot, but don't force it on the rest of us.

I'm certainly not.
That's all well and good IF you don't accept a dime of federal money for anything whatsoever. Since Mississippi gets paid more federal money than it pays in ( like my home state of Alabama) it has to accept what the Courts determine is civil rights. And don't tell us about "we are willing to give up that federal money," because neither you nor the politicians in our states are willing to do that. Start by closing Keesler AFB, laying off or moving to other states all federal jobs. That's a great way to make a poor state poorer.

I know it's tough to let go of prejudice. My entire younger years were filled with it, from my Louisiana grandfather to my current brother-in-law. But no one needs to look down or put down other people in order to have a sense of self-esteem. I don't care if gay people marry---it doesn't threaten my heterosexual marriage of 43 years. And I have no problem treating gay folks as if God loves them as much as He loves me, "for while we were yet sinners Christ died for us."

To my knowledge there is not a single gay person in my extended family, so that doesn't shape my values. But take a super conservative like Dick Cheney and put a gay daughter in his family and you find a little liberal streak in him.

So in what way are you personally going to be negatively impacted by gays marrying or being protected from discrimination? And whatever you say, I heard it said about black people in the fifties and sixties. It's no different. Homophobia and racism come from the same dark spot in men's souls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 10:49 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,163,355 times
Quote:
Logic taken to it's natural end. You can use all the same arguments for polygamy and such as you can for gay marriage.

And I'm all for states that want to legalize whatever in their own states, just as long as other states get to outlaw it as they see fit. I'm not against California legalizing gay marriage or pot, but don't force it on the rest of us.

I'm certainly not.
So? Isn't this a free country? Or just free for what you want? Polygamy is a personal choice by consenting adults, if they are not, send the bastard to jail. Otherwise, it's a free country and people should be free.

Do you think that all blacks like me should stay out of Arizona too?

Old 03-06-2014, 11:48 PM

1,349 posts, read 2,116,662 times
The fine line is subtle, but its a key part of what I believe we as Americans need to work on living and understanding. I personally don't take the view that other consenting adults marrying one another, whether that be two men, two women, or a man and three women, has much impact on me personally.

I think polygamy can be viewed as an overall negative in society more than gay marriage, simply because of the imbalance it would create in men to women in what we call traditional marriage. On the other hand, as people have become more autonomous and society has become more wealthy, there is no longer the same imperative to marry at all as there used to be, so even that hesitation is not reason enough to me to deprive other citizens of their right to their preferred arrangement.

I can understand people with a strong sense of nostalgia and I can admit to being a bit of a Utopianist myself in some regards, but when I think about gay marriage or plural marriage as an individual, I can't honestly articulate any way in which it impacts me negatively. I feel the same about marijuana legalization, for example. I am not a marijuana user myself, but I have no problem if I smell it wafting from my neighbor's yard, because I am an autonomous adult capable of choosing my own path in life. A couple of hippies smoking some reefer doesn't impact my quality of life in the same way that their playing loud music or operating power tools at midnight might.

I, as well as many others, view gay marriage rights as a civil rights issue. I don't view it as a moral issue, except in the sense that adults who wish to legally bind themselves to one another and (gasp) care for one another financially and domestically should have that moral right if that is how they are wired.

It cannot be compared to bestiality or pedophilia because neither animals nor children can give consent.

Conservatism works for some people, and I respect their right to live their lives as they see fit. Gay marriage or gay recognition, in this case, doesn't deprive anyone of their right to live their lives as they see fit, unless their life is unlivable in an environment where homosexuals are recognized as full citizens with equal rights. I don't see a scenario where that can be logically argued.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:12 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,325,700 times
"By and large, the gays I work with are more successful than their straight counterparts. I assume this is because of "taking care of your own" and being able to put in longer hours due to not having the time constraints of a traditional family".

LOL! One of the most prejudiced things I've seen in a while. That's the deal w/ prejudiced people, they don't even have a clue that they are. Might as well have said "some of my best friends are black/gay". Bull. Just more confirmation that I'm glad I left Mississippi. As progressive as Oxford is in some ways, it's still in the dark ages in many other ways.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:37 AM

3,378 posts, read 4,994,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
So? Isn't this a free country? Or just free for what you want? Polygamy is a personal choice by consenting adults, if they are not, send the bastard to jail. Otherwise, it's a free country and people should be free.

Do you think that all blacks like me should stay out of Arizona too?
But is polygamy flaunted about the streets as some sort of new Civil Rights movement? Why is it illegal? Are we all bigoted because of that? You have to draw a line somewhere.

And no, I couldn't care less if you came to Arizona, enjoy your stay.

http://themattwalshblog.com/2013/12/...still-illegal/

May be a blog, but perfectly puts down what I want to say.

Last edited by Desert kid; 03-07-2014 at 12:55 AM..

Old 03-10-2014, 08:54 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,163,355 times
Quote:
But is polygamy flaunted about the streets as some sort of new Civil Rights movement? Why is it illegal? Are we all bigoted because of that? You have to draw a line somewhere.

And no, I couldn't care less if you came to Arizona, enjoy your stay.

But seriously, why is polygamy still illegal? | The Matt Walsh Blog

May be a blog, but perfectly puts down what I want to say.
Well are there anti-gay advertisements, anti-gay rallies, verbally violent protests, and obvious discriminatory persecution that isn't happening on a world-wide scale. Polygamy is legal in many countries and isn't it only a problem in Utah?
I don't know why it's illegal, I don't know why gay marriage is illegal. Yes I'd say that people are bigoted about that. Seems people who are really "'Murica!! YEAH!!" like are the ones who want to deny freedoms for what they don't believe in.

I'd rather not visit.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:10 AM

25,400 posts, read 17,077,759 times
Quote of The Day..

Do we have to know who's gay and who's straight? Can't we just love everybody and continue to judge them by the cars they drive?

George Takei..

Old 03-11-2014, 10:12 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,138,300 times
Quote:
I see it as unnecessary. It's not like gays had crosses burned in their yards or anything. It just seems like a fad bandwagon to me.
I agree.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:41 AM

25,400 posts, read 17,077,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
...............I'd rather not visit.
Well, we would rather you wouldn't even write.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:24 PM

993 posts, read 1,761,321 times
Good gosh some people are ignorant. I'm gay. I don't want any "special rights." I just want to be treated like a normal person. I don't know where this BS "special rights" argument comes from. It literally makes no sense. Is it a "special right" to have protection from being fired at my job just because I like other men? Is it a "special right" to be able to marry the person I love? Is it a "special right" to file taxes jointly?

Quote:
What happened to get up, go to work, raise your family (if you choose to have one), live your life, obey the law, pay taxes and not infringing on others?
Gay people are the ones having their rights infringed on. Me marrying another guy and being treated like a HUMAN BEING does not infringe on you at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi