U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 09:37 PM

19 posts, read 38,178 times

Advertisements

That's a sad fact about Mississippi. Obesity rate isn't that much better in Arkansas.

I don't think it's just socioeconomics. I also think it's the environment/lifestyle and the individual's attitudes about himself or herself.

Why do I mention environment/lifestyle?

I am originally from Grenada, MS about 45 minutes away from Greenwood in the Delta. When I moved away to bigger cities and settled down in Little Rock eventually, I found myself exercising more and losing weight. I used to be overweight myself. If you are surrounded by more health conscious population, it makes you think more about yourself and how you look compared to them. That's just my honest opinion whether you agree or disagree with me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 12:40 AM

3,328 posts, read 4,598,906 times
Well I, for one, think this is exciting news. As someone who'd take Toby Keith over Brad Pitt any day, I think that extra bulk has a certain charm. Then again, I'm married to a bodybuilder whose breakfast, most mornings, is a bunch of blanched broccoli, and a box of raw berries. He's lived in constant hunger for three decades. But he still ripples like a nineteen-year-old triathlete. And so, since we've been together since we were seventeen-year-old freshmen, I've never known anything else. I'm only imagining that a fatter man would be more pillowy. However, I'm told that in reality, the logistics of amplitude are less than ideal.

In any event, in commemoration of my old home state's again being NUMBER ONE and making us all proud, here are two classic Mississippi-style beauties, Velma Buttons and Tova McQueen, co-hosting Reality Check with Esteemed Mississippi Senator Trent Lott. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06gx42-GnJc That Fried Gravy recipe got me reminiscing. Reminded me of Velma's Chocolate Covered Sticks O' Butter, and her Deep-fried Lard Balls.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:23 AM

88 posts, read 111,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyreynolds1977 View Post
we always will be. we fry everything or smother everything in gravy.
We deep fry our foods and don't know when to put the fork down lol.

Old 03-09-2014, 02:58 PM

216 posts, read 395,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorbacksWPS View Post
That's a sad fact about Mississippi. Obesity rate isn't that much better in Arkansas.

I don't think it's just socioeconomics. I also think it's the environment/lifestyle and the individual's attitudes about himself or herself.

Why do I mention environment/lifestyle?

I am originally from Grenada, MS about 45 minutes away from Greenwood in the Delta. When I moved away to bigger cities and settled down in Little Rock eventually, I found myself exercising more and losing weight. I used to be overweight myself. If you are surrounded by more health conscious population, it makes you think more about yourself and how you look compared to them. That's just my honest opinion whether you agree or disagree with me.

True. I attribute a large (pun unintended) part of the statistic to socioeconomics and poor education about nutrition.

But much of the problem is cultural and the attitude that Southern cuisine, with all its fatty goodness, is a birthright... i.e. you can't take away my buttered biscuit unless you pry it from my cold dead hands. One of my Facebook "friends" (she's one of those high school friends that you use for pure entertainment value) constantly posts pics of the meals she prepares for her family. Although college educated and certainly not ignorant about nutrition, she consistently feeds her family food that seems to rival Paula Deen's creations for fat and calories. And, well, the family looks the part.

I grew up in the same hometown, and while I eat pretty healthy on a regular basis, I will bust out the old standby Junior League cookbook once in a while to create those classic Southern recipes (damn if I will ever try to fry chicken though). Heavy Southern food still has its place at my table, but only for holidays and special occasions.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:32 AM

26,275 posts, read 7,102,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post

In any event, in commemoration of my old home state's again being NUMBER ONE and making us all proud, here are two classic Mississippi-style beauties, Velma Buttons and Tova McQueen, co-hosting Reality Check with Esteemed Mississippi Senator Trent Lott.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06gx42-GnJc That Fried Gravy recipe got me reminiscing. Reminded me of Velma's Chocolate Covered Sticks O' Butter, and her Deep-fried Lard Balls.
That made me laugh!!

Old 03-10-2014, 08:46 AM

10,688 posts, read 6,270,120 times
Default To repeat

I've written elsewhere on the Mississippi thread (and other threads) that obesity, crime rate, length of prison terms, overall health, mental health, educational test scores, community cohesion, and happiness scores (based on psychological testing) are all directly tied to income disparity.

Two British researchers have a book out entitled The Spirit Level that takes the research of dozens of sociologists, psychologists, economists and criminologists and have tied those studies to income disparity between developed nations, and within the U.S. between states.

Mississippi consistently ranks in the bottom five states for all these categories because its income disparity between the top one fifth and the bottom one fifth is so very wide. Income disparity results in a feeling of less esteem by those in the bottom fifth of the income chart. Interestingly, even the health and happiness scores of the richest one-fifth are less in states (and nations) with more income disparity than the top fifth of those with less income disparity.

Among nations, the worst are the U.S. (almost always at the bottom) followed closely by Portugal and the UK. Among states, the best states tend to be Utah (usually first), Idaho, Wyoming, and Vermont. The worst are Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Texas, and frequently Florida.

Our best economic growth came during WWII in both the UK and the U.S., primarily because there was a "leveling" of classes. Everyone had to accept rationing of many goods and services. There was a feeling of "we're all in this together." Of course, since 1970 income has ballooned in the top one fifth of our societies while the bottom one fifth has increasing suffered and struggled. Please note that obesity began its climb at that time.

Now for the best nations---Japan, Sweden, Denmark. It was sometime in the early seventies when Japan surpassed the U.S. for all the above listed social phenomenon. There is less disparity in Japan between the incomes of the top and the bottom economic rungs.

Now I'm sure there are many who will scoff at this information without ever doing a bit of research. However, it is hard to deny something that shows up again and again with so many different criteria. Income disparity is causative for many of the social ills we face.

Also interesting--the last time we were faced with such huge income disparity in the United States?
1929--just before the Great Depression.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:53 AM

18,694 posts, read 11,017,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
............Also interesting--the last time we were faced with such huge income disparity in the United States?
1929--just before the Great Depression.
It would be more interesting if any attempt was made to discuss the conditions of being poor in the US in 1929.
The conditions of being rich have not changed all that much - the best of whatever was available.
But the conditions of being poor? A world of difference between then and now.
And the conditions of being retired? Absolutely no comparison.

Poor or retired? Works out better if you are in Mississippi.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:30 PM

10,688 posts, read 6,270,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
It would be more interesting if any attempt was made to discuss the conditions of being poor in the US in 1929.
The conditions of being rich have not changed all that much - the best of whatever was available.
But the conditions of being poor? A world of difference between then and now.
And the conditions of being retired? Absolutely no comparison.

Poor or retired? Works out better if you are in Mississippi.
Perhaps some study on the topic would provide better knowledge. The condition of the rich is very different in relationship to the poor. At the turn of the twentieth century the average CEO made about 15-20 times his average employee. Now, among Fortune 500 companies, that average is around 400 times the average employee. More interesting is that even the wealthiest of us in the U.S. do not have the same health results as the wealthiest in the more equal nations with regard to income disparity. THAT is interesting.

Another view:

blinkx Video

And still another view on how our government policies have negatively impacted our society.

Avram Noam Chomsky (/ˈnm ˈɒmski/; born December 7, 1928) is an American linguist, philosopher, cognitive scientist, logician, political commentator and activist. Sometimes described as the "father of modern linguistics", Chomsky is also a major figure in analytic philosophy. He has spent most of his career at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), where he is currently Professor Emeritus, and has authored over 100 books. He has been described as a prominent cultural figure, and was voted the "world's top public intellectual" in a 2005 poll.

Last edited by Wardendresden; 03-10-2014 at 01:53 PM..

Old 03-10-2014, 02:34 PM

18,694 posts, read 11,017,654 times
Meh..

I guess I'm supposed to hear ominous music in the background when people talk about wealth disparity and 1929, but I don't.
Mississippi is a great place to retire and the cost of living here makes it so. Two people who have worked all their lives and saved nothing but the equity in their home can actually get by very nicely on Social Security. And that's just not true in some states.

And poverty is now less painful - if not downright attractive, to some people - than ever before. I may not like the government policies which have created that attractiveness, but they do ameliorate the pain of being poor.

As for worrying about how much some CEO might make....well, I just don't. I know enough history to know how much Vanderbilt, J Rockefeller, J P Morgan, Carnegie, and the rest made in relationship to their employees and today's disparity doesn't even approach those figures.

Anyway, the subject here is obesity. I am not overweight and have no intention of becoming so. I am sorry for all the people who are unhappy with their lot in life or their weight problem. I know being overweight is not a choice a lot of people consciously made, and I hope every one of them finds a solution.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:12 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,058,845 times
Degrees of wealth notwithstanding, I'm not buying thr argument that times have changed for the poor, but not for this rich. Just as the poor in the old days didn't have electricity, the well to do in 1929 weren't catching jets to the South Pacific. Technology has been transformative for everybody, but that doesn't mean some people aren't poor today. Working at a fast food shack for peanuts isn't so different than working in the Big House, when you face facts. Mississippi may very well be a cheap and great place to retire, but that just puts it in the same category as a developing nation. It may be junky, but hey, at least it's cheap, right? Most people looking for extreme value over simple amenities are going to be poorer and fatter than the general public anyway. As for the facts, outside of the Memphis folks who have scurried across the state line when their old neighborhood became threatening, I don't see all that many folks choosing Mississippi as a place to retire. The state's population is growing slowly and it lost a Congressional seat after the 2000 census. It's true that race is a large part of the obesity sitaution and blacks are both poorer and fatter than whites in the state. That much is critical to understanding anything about the state, but lest anybody read too much into that, one need only take a look at the demographics of West Virginia. Nary a black person in sight. In both cases, the overwhelming issue is lack of a major, or even medium sized, city. Country people are fat and proud of it. Environment matters. Preach all the self control and individualism you want. Nobody lives in a vacuum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi