U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 07:37 AM

88 posts, read 112,166 times

Advertisements

Breaking, World, US & Local News - nydailynews.com - NY Daily News

Quote:
Mississippi has topped West Virginia as the most obese state in the nation, according to a new Gallup analysis.The*latest poll*found that 35.4% of Mississippians were obese in 2013, compared to 34.4% of West Virginians.
Here's the top 10 states with high obesity rates.

1. Mississippi 35.4 percent
2. West Virginia 34.4 percent
3. Delaware 34.3 percent
4. Louisiana 32.7 percent
5. Arkansas 32.3 percent
6. South Carolina 31.4 percent
7. Tennessee 31.3 percent
8. Ohio 30.9 percent
9. Kentucky 30.6 percent
10. Oklahoma 30.5 percent
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 09:51 AM

779 posts, read 800,628 times
we always will be. we fry everything or smother everything in gravy.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:01 AM

23,572 posts, read 24,741,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyreynolds1977 View Post
we always will be. we fry everything or smother everything in gravy.
deep-fried-gravy

Old 03-05-2014, 01:00 PM

986 posts, read 1,041,281 times
It would be interesting to see the raw data here (divided between sex and race). If you were to lop off the Delta, what would the results be? In the black community, I don't there is a stigma to females being over weight, i think it is sometimes viewed as desirable. On average white females also seem to be larger than white males.

I'm an not being negative toward any race or gender. I work with black women who eat like linebackers, live sedentary lifestyles and are in no way ashamed or embarrassed by their size and have not interest in losing weight.

In my social circle (40-50 year old middle class), I don't see very many obese people. In fact, I know many 50 year olds who are in better shape than teenagers.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
It would be interesting to see the raw data here (divided between sex and race). If you were to lop off the Delta, what would the results be? In the black community, I don't there is a stigma to females being over weight, i think it is sometimes viewed as desirable. On average white females also seem to be larger than white males.

I'm an not being negative toward any race or gender. I work with black women who eat like linebackers, live sedentary lifestyles and are in no way ashamed or embarrassed by their size and have not interest in losing weight.

In my social circle (40-50 year old middle class), I don't see very many obese people. In fact, I know many 50 year olds who are in better shape than teenagers.
You make great points. When I lived in Robinsonville, you didn't see a lot of obese people there and you surely didn't in Southaven. Since moving to Greenwood there are definitely more obese people here but I wouldn't say they are a majority. My doctor in Southaven told me Mississippi has more people with type 2 diabetes than anywhere in the country and same thing with heart disease. To quote him. "It's not really how much you eat, but it's what you eat." If you eat a high chlolesterol and fatty diet and that's all you eat, you're going to have problems. Like I said in my previous post. We fry everything and smother everything in gravy.

I don't think it's a race for gender issue. I think it's more of an economic issue. Bad foods are cheaper than healthy foods.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:16 PM

"I think it's more of an economic issue. Bad foods are cheaper than healthy foods."

In my opinion, this is a cop out. I have a huge appetite and have eaten a black person's diet for almost 50 years (I was raised by a black woman - it wasn't quite "The Help" (although I haven't seen that movie) - dad was a marginal farmer, but mom had a good job as a nurse). I have also consumed (and continue to consume) the amount of alcohol that 5 normal people would drink in a lifetime.

I am in excellent health having completed two marathons and many halfs. On average, I jog 2.5 - 3 miles three - four times per week, do tons of pushups, crunches and chin-ups (it cost no serious $ to participate in any of these activities).

I stay active by working in the hard and keeping myself busy with various outdoor projects, I don't have a printer in my office, I would rather print down the hall so I will have to get up to retrieve hard copies.

Health is a three-legged stool consisting of exercise, diet and genetics. We can't control the genetics and some of us (me) choose not to control the diet part, but most of us can control the exercise part. For most people, just by staying active, one can stay in good shape.

For the first time in human history, we are headed to a point where the richest are the skinniest and the poorest are the fattest.

Old 03-05-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
"I think it's more of an economic issue. Bad foods are cheaper than healthy foods."

In my opinion, this is a cop out. I have a huge appetite and have eaten a black person's diet for almost 50 years (I was raised by a black woman - it wasn't quite "The Help" (although I haven't seen that movie) - dad was a marginal farmer, but mom had a good job as a nurse). I have also consumed (and continue to consume) the amount of alcohol that 5 normal people would drink in a lifetime.

I am in excellent health having completed two marathons and many halfs. On average, I jog 2.5 - 3 miles three - four times per week, do tons of pushups, crunches and chin-ups (it cost no serious $ to participate in any of these activities).

I stay active by working in the hard and keeping myself busy with various outdoor projects, I don't have a printer in my office, I would rather print down the hall so I will have to get up to retrieve hard copies.

Health is a three-legged stool consisting of exercise, diet and genetics. We can't control the genetics and some of us (me) choose not to control the diet part, but most of us can control the exercise part. For most people, just by staying active, one can stay in good shape.

For the first time in human history, we are headed to a point where the richest are the skinniest and the poorest are the fattest.
you basically reiterated my point. when can disagree on how but i think he both agree, it's an economic issue.

Last edited by sammyreynolds1977; 03-05-2014 at 03:29 PM..

Old 03-05-2014, 03:43 PM

I don't think this is an economic issue at all.

Two things are causing this issue:

1. Not caring (I do not think most black southern women (and some white) are at all concerned about being overweight).
2. Not getting off one's rear-end and moving.

I think this is a difference in culture issue. One culture thinks it’s bad and another culture doesn’t have a problem with it.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:15 PM

you're the one with the lazy argument.

Last edited by sammyreynolds1977; 03-05-2014 at 05:34 PM..

Old 03-05-2014, 09:27 PM

I guess that is where we are as a society, when preaching self control and personal responsibly is called a "lazy argument."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi