Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 06:54 PM

8 posts, read 14,190 times

Advertisements

Ok heres some back ground- family of 4 all adults,husband diabled-retired so job not needed(fixed income) moving because husbands health, we are from upstate ny,hard winters here(2 foot snow storms,20 b-low zero winters) etc. looking for nice small town near jackson but doesnt have to be jackson,just starting there, must be prominently white neighborhood. <---dont even ask the dumb question on that one). we were looking into tenn,but couldnt get a straight answer on anything, we live upstate ny but pay NYC prices like cigerettes are 10$ a pack (if we smoked).gallon milk 4$+ and thats at wallyworld WAL_mart,, rent is 650 2 bed (low end). and the list goes on and on. any help would be nice.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 09:31 PM

799 posts, read 1,065,524 times
it would help to know how much you are willing to spend on rent. if you are still looking to spend 650 for rent in nearby cities of jackson then you are out of luck. a 2 bedroom apartment in places like brandon and pearl are gonna cost you at least 750.

Old 04-05-2014, 03:24 PM

Looking for house to rent anywhere from 500 to 1000 amonth, prefer 3 bed but can do 2 bed room, but will do apartment until something comes my way..

Old 04-05-2014, 05:31 PM

ok after much research we have narrowed it to clinton or pearl.. any one want to list the negative things about these places...

Old 04-06-2014, 10:06 AM

1,098 posts, read 3,109,702 times
There is nothing really negative about either. Clinton has a very clean, quiet feeling and is overall somewhat higher income compared to Pearl which has a slightly more blue collar feel. However, Pearl is more on the growing side of the city which is east towards Brandon and north towards Madison. Lately Pearl has been thriving with the addition of the baseball stadium and outlet mall, with some hotels and restaurants around them. You might also look at Florence, which seems to be on the upswing and very safe and affordable.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:00 AM

356 posts, read 1,345,656 times
My husband and I are both retired and we live in Pearl. I think you could find everything you want there. If you have any more questions, I'll be glad to answer them if I can.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntbee View Post
My husband and I are both retired and we live in Pearl. I think you could find everything you want there. If you have any more questions, I'll be glad to answer them if I can.
ty i sent you a private message

Old 04-16-2014, 12:20 AM

164 posts, read 282,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lydia411 View Post
ty i sent you a private message
It depend on your budget and income level.

If people depending on social security, Mississippi will be feeling better than Upstate NYC or expensive Long Island.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:11 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,893,917 times
You stated you wanted a predominantly white neighborhood....in your price range there is certainly no guarantee of that (MS has the highest percentage of black residents in the country) and the whites (especially in the Purl) will likely be of the redneck variety, I come from a long line of necks and consider myself one, but I confirm to my surroundings. In your price range in Purl, you will see a lot of cars on blocks in the front yard, etc. Clinton, in my opinion, is slightly more upscale, but is more diverse (if that bothers you).

Public schools in both locations are good (for MS), but will likely be vastly subpar compared to public schools in upstate New York. MS has a small, rural population base is an extremely poor state, services for disabled, low income, special needs kids, etc., are sparse.

If I was in your situation, I would take a closer look at the suburbs of Birmingham, Nashville or Knoxville… Do not move here without a job or some type of support system...

Old 05-10-2014, 09:04 AM

356 posts, read 1,345,656 times
I guess I haven't seen the neighborhoods in Pearl that you're talking about. One of my neighbors had a popup camper sitting in her driveway (in Pearl) and she was cited for it by the city. I haven't seen any "cars on blocks". I certainly don't consider myself a "redneck", nor are any of my neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi