Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2014, 10:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,412 times

Advertisements

I just graduated from college and I am moving to Jackson, MS for my first job in downtown. I am a single, white, male.

I am looking for a one or 2 bedroom apartment, with appropriate amenities. My budget is $700 a month max.

I would like to live in a place where a lot of 22-30 year old single and young couples live, with a vibrant area, with activities, entertainment, good food, night life...all the things someone my age would like.

What do you recommend?

So far people have mentioned Flowood, Ridgewood and Madison.

If you have suggestions and actually places that are great to live, please let me know.

Thanks, so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 11:48 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,893,917 times
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]For a young single, start out in Fondren. You will be close to work, plus there is a hip scene; however, you will have to deal with crime. Don't leave anything valuable in your car (or heck don't own an expensive car), keep everything locked up tight, keep a high level of situational awareness, especially at night. Apartments in any location will have plenty of single action though.

If you get to the point to consider buying, look at Madison first, then Flohood, err, Flowood, then Brandon.

Unless you have a strong ties here, i.e., your father owns a successful business; I would look at putting down roots elsewhere, like Nashville, Knoxville, or the burbs of Atlanta or Birmingham. The 20-30 year outlook for MS is not good, I'm not a hater (a 5th generation Mississippian actually), but a realist. After you get work experience and a good reference, leave for the sake of your children and grandchildren.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:42 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,109,702 times
Bro,
I sifted through the complexes in the area and found that the nicer complexes seem to start around $830 and the nicest ones even up to $1,100.
However, I spotted some complexes that have been around a good while (since the 80s or so maybe) and are closer to that $700 mark you're going for. And after all, you're still just a kid (basically, in a good way...) at one of the high points of your life and shouldn't need a gleaming, brand-new pad...just yet. Better to leave that as a goal to strive for when you're a little older etc. Wisely, you are going for good value but not so low that safety starts coming into question, etc.
There are dozens are complexes in the Jackson, especially in Ridgeland and Flowood, so these are just a couple of them:

Fondren Hill - Older complex but sort of cool apartment lay-out (multiple levels even for small apartments) and mainly it's walking distance to Fondren for restaurants and bars. A lot of med students live here.

The Mark - In Ridgeland on Lake Harbor - A nice gym is next door (The Club) which has multiple locations, some of which are super-plush. Ridgeland is kind of at the center of everything in the Jackson area. I prefer to go one major road further north (Rice Road) because it's right next to the Natchez Trace bike trail. For $800 you could get into The Pointe apartments on Rice Rd and just walk across the street to the Natchez Trace bike trail entrance. This trail is very busy and perfect for walking, running and biking. The Reservoir is also right here and a nice place to hang out.

Reflection Point - This is in Flowood and extremely convenient, i.e. a straight shot to UMMC (medical school) and easy drive to Fondren (restaurants) and downtown, and to the Reservoir, from the Rankin County side. Flowood is clean and safe and new. The Courthouse gym is right next door to these apartments. Down the highway a few minutes (east) there is a whole area of stores and restaurants (Best Buy, Lowes, all kinds of restaurants from Japanese to Mexican, etc).

Belhaven - This is a historic residential neighborhood immediately surrounding Belhaven University. The borders are I-55, Woodrow Wilson Ave, N State St, and Fortification Ave. Lots of smaller houses, duplexes, cottages, garage apartments, and some big houses. This is a cool place to live for a youngster in your 20s and close to Fondren and easy access to other parts of north Jackson. The easiest way to find an apartment here might be to drive around and look for signs in yards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi