Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 09:06 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,806,906 times

Advertisements

If so, from what nation(s)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 10:30 AM

25,569 posts, read 17,275,200 times
I don't think so. The meager economy of Mississippi can hardly provide employment for who we have. There are few jobs that go untaken.

Usually, the arrival of a new source of major employment like an automobile plant or shipyard brings skilled people from other states thereby reducing the intended impact. I don't know what the figures are but the impression is, we add 10 jobs and get 7 people from other states to fill them. That certainly appears to be true at Toyota in Blue Spring.

So I don't think we need immigrants. But I certainly welcome them.

But why did you ask? What is your thinking?

Old 07-16-2014, 10:40 AM

Those who are entrepreneurs can be beneficial to our economy.
Let me ask another question for your Magnolia Staters: How many of you have met immigrants in Mississippi?

Old 07-16-2014, 12:45 PM

144 posts, read 186,502 times
They need em in mississippi and Alabama to move the states forward

Old 07-16-2014, 01:07 PM

25,569 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Those who are entrepreneurs can be beneficial to our economy.
Let me ask another question for your Magnolia Staters: How many of you have met immigrants in Mississippi?
I know several. Ecuadorian, Mexican, Indian, second generation Chinese, second generation Greek. But none of them have any special education or talent. The ones I know who employ other people, employ people from their home country. Mexicans employing Mexicans and so forth.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:37 PM

24,525 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Do you consider immigrants those from other nations only or those who move from other US states as well?

Old 07-16-2014, 02:12 PM

I have met people from Italy, France, Mexico, Colombia, Poland, South Korea, the Philippines, India, South Korea, China, Ghana, Nigeria, Kenya, Japan, and Jordan in my hometown.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:31 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,109,361 times
What an interesting topic! My two cents on this is that, from what I've read, legal immigrants (e.g. from India and China) often bring skills such as science and engineering and are the ones who start up many of the companies in Silicon Valley. In fact, I've always wondered if there was a way for Mississippi to market itself somehow to attract those types of immigrants so that they can come and start up new companies here in Mississippi. Presently many of them are going to Houston, which is not so far away. Why not come on over to Biloxi, Hattiesburg, Ridgeland, Olive Branch, Tupelo, Starkville, or Oxford?! And selfishly, I love Indian and Chinese food, so that's a huge plus...

We've also heard Haley Barbour talk about how important immigrants were (illegal in that case) in helping rebuild the Coast after Katrina. Even though we have a large supply of low-skilled non-working people, apparently a subset of them are not qualified for any job (e.g. because they don't have basic job skills such as reading, addition, showing up for work, taking orders, and being polite to customers...or they claim various disabilities such as back pain or psychiatric problems). I've heard that landscaping company owners love immigrant workers. So I would assume the answer is "yes", Mississippi would love to have more of them.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio View Post
Presently many of them are going to Houston, which is not so far away.
We have a "Houston"!

Houston, Mississippi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-16-2014, 05:02 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,770,556 times
Yes!:
Denmark
Sweden
Finland
Estonia
Norway
Netherlands
Scotland
Iceland
Jordan
Switzerland
Australia
Luxembourg

And individuals from certain well-behaved and desirable, but possibly fragmented and persecuted, nations-within-nations, such as Basques, Boers, Parsees, and Flemings.

This would be limited to actual Swedes, Danes, Jordanians etc., and would exclude "economic refugees" and their descendants who have been squatting in those countries.

But only individuals with sufficiently high IQs: 130 for men & 125 for women. If you aren't smart enough for medschool, then you aren't smart enough to have a sufficiently improving effect on your surroundings (and, eventually, the local genome) to justify your admission and to enrich the lives of Mississippians. And frankly, Mississippi needs immigrants smart enough to compensate for the IQs of the immigrants the VOLAGS have been settling there.

What is NOT needed is an influx of people likely to become a tidal wave of sequential migration, displacing and perhaps subjugating Old Stock Mississippians. The well-being of Mississippians (and not of "business"/"employers") is more important than any other consideration.

(I must note that I did not include on this list, the island nation from which my illegitimate 'Real Daddy' descended - or the country in Northern Africa where the family had their olive groves. Nor do I include the nation which produced my genius illegitimate Great-Grandfather, whose infusion of good genes had such an improving effect on my Mother's family. I don't see either of their "peoples", as immigrants, as having had an improving effect within or upon the American Nation: in fact, both groups have tended to subjugate Old Stock Americans, and have been instrumental in the transmogrification of the American Nation into the American Empire - a very bad thing.)

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 07-16-2014 at 05:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi