U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 08:50 AM

2 posts, read 10,325 times

Advertisements

I love South Carolina! What city abcedf?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 04:17 PM

429 posts, read 706,643 times
I grew up in a small community close to Petal. I still visit the area 2-3 times a year and I love it! I currently live in NC therefore, comparing the two is like comparing apples to oranges. Petal is a beautiful rural area, but they have everything you need and more. Lots of hometown pride. They have plenty of grocery stores and I will say that whenever I come back to NC I always leave with a cooler full of meat. It's so much cheaper in Ms! In the summer I leave with a cooler full of peas, butterbeans and corn that I buy from local farmers and I usually feel guilty because I buy so much and it's so cheap and the farmers never fail to throw in something for free. I love driving down 59 and having people actually throw up their hand and wave to me. It took me 2 yrs. of living in NC before I ever passed someone on the road that waved. What I miss most may sound silly, but I miss church homecomings. You always knew who made the best fried chicken and chocolate cake. I don't even think they have them up here and if they do I am sure the chicken was bought at KFC. I miss being able to just drive up to someones house and ask if you can fish in their pond (you'd probably get shot up here). I miss hearing the sweet southern drawl.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:01 AM

27,798 posts, read 30,673,874 times
You make the areas sound so nice. Thanks for the post.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:49 PM

It truly is!
Thank you!

Old 01-26-2008, 10:28 AM

27,798 posts, read 30,673,874 times
I'll have to visit and see for myself.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:15 PM

1,065 posts, read 3,726,641 times
Default Wrong side of the mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjohnsonRE View Post
I grew up in a small community close to Petal. I still visit the area 2-3 times a year and I love it! I currently live in NC therefore, comparing the two is like comparing apples to oranges. Petal is a beautiful rural area, but they have everything you need and more. Lots of hometown pride. They have plenty of grocery stores and I will say that whenever I come back to NC I always leave with a cooler full of meat. It's so much cheaper in Ms! In the summer I leave with a cooler full of peas, butterbeans and corn that I buy from local farmers and I usually feel guilty because I buy so much and it's so cheap and the farmers never fail to throw in something for free. I love driving down 59 and having people actually throw up their hand and wave to me. It took me 2 yrs. of living in NC before I ever passed someone on the road that waved. What I miss most may sound silly, but I miss church homecomings. You always knew who made the best fried chicken and chocolate cake. I don't even think they have them up here and if they do I am sure the chicken was bought at KFC. I miss being able to just drive up to someones house and ask if you can fish in their pond (you'd probably get shot up here). I miss hearing the sweet southern drawl.
You should move over to the Tri-Cities area of northeast Tennessee. You get all of what you're missing plus the beautiful mountain scenery. I grew up just outside of Laurel (West Jones grad) and I love this area even more.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williboy View Post
You should move over to the Tri-Cities area of northeast Tennessee. You get all of what you're missing plus the beautiful mountain scenery. I grew up just outside of Laurel (West Jones grad) and I love this area even more.

Thanks for the suggestion and I agree, it is beautiful on your side of the mountain. However, I married a local Charlottean (one of the few and the proud) who has brothers, sisters, children and grandchildren and of course, all of the people he grew up with, all within 45 min. of our home. It was hard enough moving away from all of my family and friends the first time, Lord knows I don't think I could do it again! I love Charlotte and all of divirsity. I just love Ms. in a whole different way and I am sure that anyone who was "raised" in a small southern town and moved away to the "big city" knows exactly what I am talking about.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:14 AM

1,065 posts, read 3,726,641 times
I know what you mean. I still love Laurel, but the place isn't the same as when I grew up there. This part of Tennessee still maintains a small town feel. We live about three miles outside of Jonesborough, the oldest town in Tennessee. It is small and very pretty and historic. You can go to church on Sunday and walk through town to a restaraunt where the Baptists, Methodists, and Presbyterians all meet up for lunch. It's really a special place.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:39 PM

16 posts, read 42,714 times
hi all ... for those interested ... i grew up in Hattiesburg ... moved away ... twice, just to go back its a great place ... the people are friendly and the crime rate, although very much increased since Katrina, is not something to be outrageously alarmed about. The hub city plays host to numerous evacuees everytime a hurricane brushes the coast, it is because it is the safest city, closest to homes in danger from the storms. the last ones i can remember would be katrina, of course and George in 98 (?) ... most of the time the area just receives wind damage and sometimes flooding in the low lying areas, which there are quite a few of. tornados on the other hand, thats a different story. there is at least one tornado every year somewhere around that area, sometimes more ... after awhile though, you kind of get use to what needs to be done to protect yourself in such a case the schools are wonderful, for mississippi that is ... especially in the outer lying counties ... ie: oak grove, petal, FCAHS, North Forrest, etc. ... there are a few very good private schools as well. it has one major university, three community colleges and numerous technical schools. the city governemt has their issues, just like every other, but all in all, hattiesburg seems to be doing failry well ... they have an october fest every year and an arts walk ... the victorian christmas in historic downtown is amazingly beautiful every year as well one more thing to keep in mind also ... although Hattiesburg is a recognized retirement city, it also plays home to the University of Southern Mississippi Golden Eagles ... making them a very proud college town as well

Old 01-28-2008, 03:47 PM

16 posts, read 42,714 times
My Hattiesburg Community

this is the area's community forum. there are a lot of very helpful and knowledgable people floating around over there who love to meet new people and show them around ... best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi