U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 12:14 PM

1 posts, read 7,607 times

Advertisements

Im thinking of moving to Hattiesburg or Petal or somewhere in the surrounding area. Just wanted to get some perspective on this area in relation to living, working, sending children to school, and the cost of living. Im live in the delta right now so mosquitoes are another concern of mine. I assumed since hattiesburg is in a hilly area the bugs wouldnt be as bad as here.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Absurd; 12-20-2007 at 01:47 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 07:59 PM

268 posts, read 979,600 times
I don't know anything about the bugs, but Hattiesburg is a pretty nice area. It is alot like the Coast.....really just feels like an extension to me. There is lots of good shopping up there!

Old 12-21-2007, 02:36 PM

2 posts, read 10,325 times
I grew up in the Delta and have lived in Hattiesburg for 20 years now. I'd never want to go back to the Delta. I only go there now to visit family.

I love Hattiesburg. I have no idea what bugs you are talking about.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:00 PM

59 posts, read 248,081 times
Default Hattiesburg-Petal Ms

We made the mistake of moving to Petal , Ms when I retired . Big mistake & we couldn't wait to get out of there . The cost of insurance , taxes , utilities , inflated realestate , crime , lack of things to do , places to go without traveling long distances. We moved to South Carolina where we have all & everything without the expense that goes with it . We figure the cost of living is at least 15 to 25 percent less here while having ever so many places to go things to do . No sales tax on food at the grocery stores , lowest fuel tax of anywhere , more for your money for housing , less than 1/2 the cost for insurance & house taxes & thats just a beginning . Want to know more just ask . Ask folks how they feel there every time the wind blows & it rains for hours on end with no power for heat , lights , TV , or whatever ..

Old 12-21-2007, 11:04 PM

1,354 posts, read 3,941,702 times
South Carolina is, indeed, a beautiful state. But I really don't recognize the town you are describing? Crime? High taxes and real estate? In Petal? Very strange.
I would understand if you said you missed the theater, the museums, exotic restaurants, a variety of getaway places-- true about the grocery taxes and the car tags, but property taxes are quite low. What do some others have to say here?

Old 12-22-2007, 02:31 AM

469 posts, read 2,674,192 times
The only thing I know about Petal is there's two branches of the KKK there! Yikes!

Old 12-22-2007, 08:14 AM

59 posts, read 248,081 times
The taxes, house & car insurance were at least 50% more in Petal , Ms than they are in south carolina . They can not keep policemen or firemen in Petal due to the very low pay they receive , both the police & firemen are just barely above the 60% they are authorized to have . The political atmosphere in both Petal & Hattiesburg has for many years had some very major problems which continue to worsen. Crime is on the increase in every area. Try reading the newspaper . We coundn't wait to get out of there..

Old 12-22-2007, 08:16 AM

5,981 posts, read 17,700,132 times
Hattiesburg is a great town...but mosquitos are a fact of life anywhere in the south and the hills won't protect you.

I'd say be careful of that link above...it alarms unnecessarily. In my area there are supposed to be skinheads and Neo Nazis, and I'm sure out there somewhere there is...but then if you click on the link to hate crimes, it's confined to one incident of distribution of flyers by a white supremacy group. Not exactly hair raising in my book...and I think you would be hard pressed to find anywhere in America that doesn't have these type groups. Water finds its own level and all...

From the link listed above, this is all there is in Mississippi that's been reported. While in pitifully poor taste, (unfortunately) stupidity still is not against the law. Do I think there are cells? Sure. Do I think it's a reason to go screaming out of Petal, Mississippi? That alone would not send me running.

Jackson (Intimidation)
Published on 09-13-2007
Two state employees filmed an act of a noose hanging from a company vehicle.

Philadelphia (Leafletting)
Published on 06-20-2007
Racist fliers were distributed in a neighborhood.

Poplarville (Rally)
Published on 04-14-2007
"About 16 members of the Mississippi White Knights of the Ku Klux Klan gathered at the county courthouse to distribute pamphlets with names, addresses and photos of local registered sex offenders and fliers about illegal immigration."

Southaven (Vandalism)
Published on 02-01-2007
Two teens confessed to writing 'KKK' on five mailboxes and a truck in the Shelburne Estates subdivision, and pouring honey, mustard and peanut butter on mail. They also smeared ketchup on one resident's front door.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:07 AM

2,917 posts, read 4,600,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
I'd say be careful of that link above...it alarms unnecessarily. In my area there are supposed to be skinheads and Neo Nazis, and I'm sure out there somewhere there is...but then if you click on the link to hate crimes, it's confined to one incident of distribution of flyers by a white supremacy group. Not exactly hair raising in my book...and I think you would be hard pressed to find anywhere in America that doesn't have these type groups. Water finds its own level and all...

From the link listed above, this is all there is in Mississippi that's been reported. While in pitifully poor taste, (unfortunately) stupidity still is not against the law. Do I think there are cells? Sure. Do I think it's a reason to go screaming out of Petal, Mississippi? That alone would not send me running.
For once, I agree with you. Folks these days tend to glorify a few incidents into a way of life - molehills into mountains - at the expense(s) of hindering immigration into their own area. Scary.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:00 PM

268 posts, read 979,600 times
It is always good for Mississippi for those who don't like it to find a place they do like. Those of us who do like Mississippi can share all of the positive things here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi