Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2007, 08:48 PM

4 posts, read 10,582 times

Advertisements

My family is relocating to the Memphis area. I am white and my husband is black. We have 2 kids. My husband is originally from Memphis area. We are seriously looking at Desoto County area and also Bartlett, Lakeland area. That is what is in our budget. So my question is how do people take to mixed couples and our mixed kids? In the city we currently live in there is not an issue, now when you get out of the city it gets a little scary.
Please no haters or bashing my family. Honest answers would be very much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 09:52 PM

268 posts, read 1,014,981 times
I can't tell you about Desoto county, but if you search through some of the previous posts, you will see that many feel this part of Mississippi's past is just that--the past.
I must say that I don't really see it to be a huge issue in populated areas. I do see more of an issue in very rural areas, unfortunately. But overall, things have improved greatly on this front.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:34 AM

382 posts, read 1,069,191 times
Okie, I agree with luvbug. The larger cities are better suited for inter-racial couples. Rural communities tend to be cliquish. Rural citizens will be civil but not as warm and accepting as larger communities where loads of transplants exist. Good luck with your move.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:07 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
Moderator cut: calling out a moderator
I am a firm believer that no place (the south vs. the north) is not that much different from the other, other than visitors own prejudices and preconcieved notions from TV, etc. So I am saying you won't have any more problems than you have in the place you are living now. That being said, Olive Branch is fairly segregated with middle class whites and blacks and, as Mississippi goes, is a progressive and booming town even though it's a bedroom community to Memphis.

You won't have any problem.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 12-31-2007 at 07:33 AM..

Old 01-01-2008, 01:00 PM

4 posts, read 10,582 times
Thank you all so much for your help! We are hoping to be in that area sooner rather then later..Want out of OK pretty bad...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi