U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2014, 07:07 PM

2 posts, read 5,143 times

Advertisements

We are contemplating my husband accepting a position in this area and were wanting to get opinions on where we should look to live. Not like we did when we moved here to Florida from outside of Memphis.

We have one child still in school, 8th grade this year. And are not city people. We like rural areas, but want to make sure the schools are good in those areas.

His former boss suggested the following areas:

Slidell, LA
Bay St. Louis, MS
Picayune, MS
Covington, LA
Gulfport, MS
New Orleans, LA

Thanks for any help and we would be renting for now with purchase later if we decide to settle in the area or make our way further north towards home, but this gets us closer than we are now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 10:24 PM

14,811 posts, read 21,552,980 times
If you like rural, you would be better off somewhere like Pass Christian, Gulfport, or Bay St. Louis. Outside of Slidell would work well too.
The northshore Covington is suburban and lots of traffic, also a good bit away compared to being in Mississippi.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:13 PM

2 posts, read 4,365 times
Default Ex coastal resident

We lived in Pearlington, at the mouth of the Pearl River on the Mississippi side. We ended up moving North to Hattiesburg after we came back down out of our attic after Katrina. Inland, above I-10, is usually dry during hurricanes. If you intend on buying eventually, you must check out the insurance rates. They are outrageous because the State made the two rows of counties up from the coast hurricane insurance rate areas. This covers not only Hancock, where Stennis is, but Harrison, Jackson, the other two coastal counties, and the next tier up. Also, the National Flood Insurance scheme is phasing out the previous subsidization of flood insurance rates. It is now not uncommon to find a $100,000 house with a $2000 a year flood insurance bill.
If you like rural places, the closest they'll have around there would be around Picayune or Kiln, (the Kill.) Do beware, the people there do love their land, and price accordingly. There are rumours of a raft of foreclosures headed this way, so keep your ears to the ground. Stennis has a more highly educated workforce, so that would be a good source of information. (A lot of the Stennis people live in Slidell. Slidell is somewhat of a bedroom community for New Orleans, [pronounced locally, 'Nawlinz'.]) Slidell is a bit overpriced for what you're getting, but, location, location, location. Inland from Slidell are Pearl River and Sixth Ward. They are a bit, shall we say, run down. Good deals can be found there, but you are now looking at a minimum of a half an hours commute each way. Keep in mind that Stennis has only two enterances. The North Gate abuts on Picayune. The South Gate connects to I-10, from which you can head east to Bay St Louis and points East, or West to Slidell.
I do hope you all like fishing. This is one of the best places to do it anywhere. Good luck!

Old 10-19-2014, 09:46 PM

2 posts, read 5,143 times
Thanks for the info. Those are the areas that we are looking. But he won't accept the job if I can't find a position before the move. It hurt us when we moved to Florida and we are just now recovering. I'd love to live in that area. My mother lives in North Mississippi and we are from outside of Memphis. And yes my husband and son love fishing. I just like eating seafood. Not much of a fisher unless he baits and takes the fish off. Lol

Old 10-20-2014, 08:47 PM

123 posts, read 135,656 times
I interviewed at Stennis....one of the young women out there was big on Bay St Louis. I think to the east of there is a little bigger city, with a weird name and little more shopping/restaurants.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:58 PM

1,098 posts, read 2,767,551 times
For truly rural areas, the town of Poplarville has well-rated schools. You can verify at schooldigger.com. They have a community college there which helps quite a bit. This is a pretty area, plenty of rolling, green woodlands. Picayune is about 20 minutes south and larger. It's fairly nice also. This is a growing area.

I think the Poplarville schools rated better. In between the two are Pearl River County schools. Also this year I believe "West Harrison" schools in Harrison County rated well this year (north of Pass Christian in Harrison County).

For small towns (not exactly rural), Pass Christian schools are some of the top in Mississippi. Hancock County (serving Diamondhead golf community and rural Kiln) rated okay also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi