U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 09:04 PM

23,052 posts, read 14,364,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
You trying to lecture other people on comprehension? Try this: I said "one's weight", I didn't say "Deb's weight"; Deb may or may not be overweight, I don't know it doesn't matter. I never said Deb is overweight.

Absolutely, Deb blamed the standard.... and linked Michelle Obama. Deb doesn't go out and say it, but we ALL know what she meant. It's inferred in her comment -- she blames the wife of the head of states for said standard. To pretend that isn't inferred is to be comprehensively dishonest.

Heh, heh.......Lemme guess: You're a well educated liberal, right?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 09:37 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,245,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
OP, Why start this kind of thread, especially in the manner you did, what was the point? It will only end up a back and forth argument reference some or all of the things mentioned. You don't like it, so it's not for you then make a point to relocate when you are able to, but do keep in mind that no place is without it's negatives.

Whether you like a place or not depends on many things beyond those you mentioned. If ya have a good job, good family and friends nearby, a good partner in life that determines how happy one is much more so than the weather and other stuff that really isn't making much difference in your own life.

As far as obese people, there is a problem with this across the country. You don't need to look at stats, use your eyes. I live in the Iowa/Nebraska area, and I'll tell you about all I see is fat people. I'm not talking about the 10 pounds over weight type, I mean grossly overweight. They have even changed the scales of what is now seen as average/normal in their weight charts. In 1960, the average man weighed 166 pounds and the average woman weighed 140 pounds. Today, the average man weighs 194 pounds and the average woman weighs 164 pounds. If you don't think this is a nationwide problem you need to get around more.
I was frustrated when I created this thread. Perhaps I was a bit unfriendly but it just seems to me Mississippians think they have it made. They don't. Also I am well aware of our nations weight issue...to me thats just simply laziness and poor nutritional decisions. I don't like to workout...but I do..know why? I care about my health. Its just not surprising to me that MS has the lowest income and the highest obesity rate. Im not hating on fat people im just saying a persons weight is usually an indicator of their decision making habits and character traits.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:02 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,509,685 times
My personal opinion on the obesity issue; I believe that in the southern black female culture obesity is accepted and many black women see absolutely nothing wrong with it. When obesity stats are mentioned, I would like to see them broken down by sex and race. I bet that you would see that black and white male Mississippians are roughly the same weight as black and white men from around the county.

Before anyone comes back with the food desert argument, I know many black women employed by the local, state and federal government, who make decent money and have many food options (and know better), but still eat high carb foods like there is no tomorrow. I don't think these women feel any stigma toward being overweight, some may even see it as desirable.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:24 PM

5,238 posts, read 7,661,414 times
You say you were unfriendly then you start again with the negativity. It's probably a good thing if people like their state and where they are living, don't you think? They might win a spot in happiest state poll or people that smile the most on Monday, or some other dumb poll. Would you rather everyone hate it and complain endlessly about everything? If you are very poor in Miss or very poor in NY you aren't likely to be bragging and think you have it made.

As we have agreed on there are plenty of fat people other places too, and believe me they aren't all poor either. I've known lots of rich fat people. While one may make poor health choices or be the type that doesn't want to work out much, that doesn't mean they are fools, goofs and poor decision makers in all other aspects of life. But generalize as you see fit. I doubt you would notice much difference as you are walking the malls of MS with a 35.4 % obesity rate, and Delaware with a 34.4% rate, or Tennessee with a 31.3% rate. I also have a problem with these polls as they are most often done by phone and usually include a relatively small sample of people.

If you are miserable in Miss then by all means move, I just can't see the point of these kinds of threads. I could make a thread about places I hate too, but why bother, people would defend their state or city, and I understand that. So there is really no point to it, just like this thread.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:07 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,309 posts, read 3,906,577 times
HEY, LOOK AT THE GENERAL PICTURE THIS WAY.......................iN THE LAST 10 DAYS OR SO,,,,,,, YOU GOT THE TWO BEST FOOTBALL TEAMS iN THE sec.............................since that situation may not continue throught the entire secon...................I'D say:.................."Make your money will you can"Good Luck

Old 10-14-2014, 12:36 PM

13,710 posts, read 8,630,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Heh, heh.......Lemme guess: You're a well educated liberal, right?

Well educated liberals are a dime a dozen.

I'm an educated centrist. Not well educated, just enough to get by.

Old 10-14-2014, 03:07 PM

2 posts, read 3,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
My personal opinion on the obesity issue; I believe that in the southern black female culture obesity is accepted and many black women see absolutely nothing wrong with it. When obesity stats are mentioned, I would like to see them broken down by sex and race. I bet that you would see that black and white male Mississippians are roughly the same weight as black and white men from around the county.

Before anyone comes back with the food desert argument, I know many black women employed by the local, state and federal government, who make decent money and have many food options (and know better), but still eat high carb foods like there is no tomorrow. I don't think these women feel any stigma toward being overweight, some may even see it as desirable.
healthyamericans.org/report/88

"Racial and ethnic minority adults, and those with less education or who make less money, continue to have the highest overall obesity rates:

Adult obesity rates for Blacks topped 40 percent in 15 states, 35 percent in 35 states, and 30 percent in 42 states and D.C.
Rates of adult obesity among Latinos were above 35 percent in four states (Mississippi, North Dakota, South Carolina, and Texas) and at least 30 percent in 23 states.
Meanwhile, rates of adult obesity for Whites topped 30 percent in just four states (Kentucky, Mississippi, Tennessee, and West Virginia) and no state had a rate higher than 32.1 percent.
Nearly 33 percent of adults who did not graduate high school are obese, compared with 21.5 percent of those who graduated from college or technical college."

Old 10-14-2014, 07:56 PM

1,098 posts, read 2,947,211 times
I pulled this slice of data from Kaiser Family Foundation, with percentage of population overweight and obese for white, black, and latino for each state. Virtually identical.
W B L
Minnesota 63.1% 65.7% 68.2%
Mississippi 66.1% 74.7% 62.9%
Missouri 64.4% 75.8% 74.3%

Old 10-14-2014, 07:58 PM

5,446 posts, read 4,399,909 times
Mississippi is the poorest state in the nation, so the statistics don't surprise me at all.

By the way I wonder if anyone can tell me if Louisiana is similar?

Old 10-14-2014, 08:57 PM

1,012 posts, read 863,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
Mississippi is the poorest state in the nation, so the statistics don't surprise me at all.

By the way I wonder if anyone can tell me if Louisiana is similar?
Overweight and Obesity Rates for Adults by Race/Ethnicity | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

This is the link with all the information you asked for. It shows the white overweight and/or obese rate for white people to be greater in Mississippi--by a whopping .3 of a percentage point--than in Louisiana but Louisiana blacks are more likely to be overweight and/or obese than those in Mississippi by 3 percentage points.

The table does not show either white or black obesity/overweight in Mississippi to be the worst in the nation.

Take a close look at Wisconsin to get an idea how all such statistics as these, even if they are entirely accurate, must be analyzed with an eye to demographics if they are to be of any value. White people in Wisconsin are more likely to be overweight and/or obese than white people in Mississippi and so are black people, but due to the differing proportions of those two segments of the population Mississippi comes out as the most overweight state in the union, at least by simplistic examination.

Last edited by deb100; 10-14-2014 at 09:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi