Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2014, 10:09 AM

1 posts, read 1,089 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm living in baton Rouge &new to this place.. Can I get to see the fall colors & scenic view if i travel to jackson through US-Route 61 highway (natchez->vicksberg -> jackson) .Suggest me the best route for good scenic view & if any good tourist attractions in between for one day trip ...

Thanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 11:52 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,239,323 times
First a disclaimer. I have never personally driven down Hwy 61 in that area. With that said, unfortunately Mississippi and Louisiana (especially the southern areas) are relatively flat. The tallest point in Mississippi is around 800-ft above sea level, and that's up in the north-east corner in the Appalachian foothills. Down south you'll rarely if ever get above a few hundred feet. As such, "scenic views" are few. Also, the area is dominated by evergreen pine trees which do not change color. This area is actually known as the "Pine Hills" or "Piney Woods" region.

Your best bet would be to find a hill overlooking a bottomland hardwood forest... but this will be a "spot" instead of "scenic drive". One such "spot" is the Red Bluff Overlook over the Yazoo River bottomlands north of Columbia, MS. It may not have much of a view of "foliage", but it is an impressive view non-the-less.

Maybe a local can chime in with more specific information.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:14 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,108,334 times
The Natchez Trace from Natchez to Jackson is quite beautiful (or exiting onto Hwy 61 near Port Gibson if you continue to Vicksburg). Fall colors are likely to arrive in the first of November. Along the way, the towns of Woodville (a hamlet really), Natchez, Port Gibson, and Vicksburg are full of architecture and history. The terrain in southwest Mississippi is lush and rolling and makes for a pleasant drive. Further east, the towns of Magnolia, McComb and Brookhaven are fun to drive through and a pretty drive up highway 51.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:46 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,766,785 times
BrickPatio is right. The Natchez Trace is beautiful (although maybe less so, since they've cut down so many of the trees). And while the fall colors may not be as dramatic as New England's, from a leaf-peeping standpoint, this is definitely the prettiest and most pleasant time of year in Mississippi. You'll see gently rolling terrain, and very few buildings. It's quite a dream-like experience driving the trace in October and November.

The speed limit is 50, which is very relaxing, and you'll find you get fantastic mileage. We used to love taking our old Volvos on the Trace (35mpg!!!). Just be sure you observe the speed limit, and watch for changes in the speed limit. Most of the speeding tickets I've gotten in my whole life, I've gotten on the Trace (specifically, where the Trace nears Ridgeland). The "Park Pigs" are watching, and when the limit changes from 50, you need to start slowing IMMEDIATELY. I speak from experience.

'Ole Miss types' (who seem to think that speed limits, turning signals, and tailgating rules, apply only to "The Little People") hate the Trace, and tend to use other, less vigorously monitored routes, where they can be more entitled. This enhances the 'Trace Experience' considerably.

There are nice picnic areas, and even a couple of trails. And now that you can, finally, actually get on the Trace in Natchez, and stay on until you hit Ridgeland/Madison, it should be even nicer. One could combine mansion tours in Natchez with dining and shopping in Madison/Ridgeland, and have a really nice weekend. In both Natchez and Madison/Ridgeland, you'll find excellent options for places to stay, and some of the nicest restaurants/bars in the state (particularly in terms of the people you'll see there).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi