Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 07:26 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,890,159 times

Advertisements

McComb was a nice town pre-Katrina, then a lot of undesirables from NOLA moved in and, unfortantly, stayed.

Same thing happened to Jxn, although it was allready in two decades of downward spiral, the Katrina refugees certainly didn't help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 01:01 PM

2 posts, read 4,559 times
i was riesd there but im live in texas now but im hopeing that i move back im miss it there so much

Old 12-11-2014, 10:43 AM

1 posts, read 3,271 times
brickpatio- you have posted twice about Tupelo and mentioned a shiney-new Target. Are you sure you were in Tupelo? I have lived here most of my life I have never seen a Target here. I guess there are secrets in Tupelo.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:22 AM

1,098 posts, read 3,108,334 times
My reference to the shiny-new Target is only metaphorical ...i.e. shiny new stores "like" Target, that give Tupelo a feeling of being clean and new and contemporary and just overall liveable.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:50 AM

3 posts, read 9,883 times
My relatives originate from Kentucky but I have always preferred the lower Southern States and especially love Louisiana and Mississippi.

I am currently living in Arizona and have become tired of the Desert and it's 'clean dry heat'.

I would like to find out about Nachez, Mississippi and would be grateful for information as to how nice it is there, is there good medical care available, is crime bad and what are church's like. I desire to move there this summer. I can be reached at my yahoo email which is richard.grant30 at Y.H.

I am a retired military veteran and will likely rent until I can locate a nice cheap fix upper.

Thanks in advance for helpful comments and please no remarks about Arizona for I have heard them all both good and bad, and no I do not personally know Wiley coyote, LOL.

Blessings

Old 01-31-2015, 10:42 AM

25,557 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Vet View Post
My relatives originate from Kentucky but I have always preferred the lower Southern States and especially love Louisiana and Mississippi.

I am currently living in Arizona and have become tired of the Desert and it's 'clean dry heat'.

I would like to find out about Nachez, Mississippi and would be grateful for information as to how nice it is there, is there good medical care available, is crime bad and what are church's like. I desire to move there this summer. I can be reached at my yahoo email which is richard.grant30 at Y.H.

I am a retired military veteran and will likely rent until I can locate a nice cheap fix upper.

Thanks in advance for helpful comments and please no remarks about Arizona for I have heard them all both good and bad, and no I do not personally know Wiley coyote, LOL.

Blessings
Hey, RV

I don't like Natchez. First, long ago, the river commerce died. Then the freeway system bypassed it by many miles.
I was more familiar with Natchez years ago and it was a fine place. But things have changed. Not much of a place, I don't think.

But that just MY opinion! You may see things very differently and love the place and all its history. You would not be alone; some people like it. You'll have to go and see for yourself.

Look at Fairhope, AL or Bay St Louis, MS, or Ocean Springs, MS if The Gulf is on your mind.

BOL!

Old 01-31-2015, 05:12 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,766,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Vet View Post

Blessings
Good medical care is available. There's a 'regional medical center' there, if I'm not mistaken. Adjacent that, I think, is a satellite office for the state's 'G. V. "Sonny" Montgomery VA Medical Center' (That's actually written-out,, including "Sonny", across the entire face of the mother ship, in Jackson... really embarrassing for the state, really - but Mississippi is growing more dufus by the day.)

There is at least one passable gym, and maybe more (A fair-sized one out in the 'burbs', which I'm sure is still there - and we worked out at a nice facility downtown, once, which may have fizzled... but which may have been replaced. I halfway overheard a conversation at a party in St. Francisville, not long ago, and somebody was doing something along those lines, downtown...)

There are plenty of fixer-uppers. But you can forget about "cheap". When Katrina hit New Orleans, a great many people fled to Natchez. A lot of them stayed. These tended to be the nicer sorts - "Uptown People". Lots of Gay couples, and even more "Uptown Marriages" (pansexual wife, a Newcomb sorority girl grown old, more interested in valium and sherry than anything else, and a husband who's primarily Gay... but who knows or cares?). And there's a 747-load of washed-up/has-been Hollywood people, who sold their three-million-Dollar houses around LA, and who are attempting to live out their lives, in Natchez mansions, on net worth well below ten million. Everybody likes to sit around and be sociable, and there's so much booze, and so many ciggies, that nobody is capable of having sex, anyway. So 'orientation' is largely irrelevant.

It's a very pleasant place, if you move there with a good source of money, and if you have absolutely no objectives. It's very much like a temperate Key West, in terms of social climate. It's very genteel, and people tend to come from actual old families (as in, their ancestors had social standing prior to the Revolutionary War), or to be descended from the Crème de la Crème de la Crème among the servants/slaves of those families: they are descended from the best and highest-ranking house servants of the finest and richest families in pre-Civil-War America. This makes a HUGE difference.

The average Black in Natchez has better bloodlines than the average white "Leading Eastover Socialite" in Jackson. Many of those bloodlines go back to the Natchez Indians, the Arawaks, and others among the best tribes (all deliberately extincted by the Spaniards, because they were seen as threats). Natchez Blacks are really fine and refined people, and you would have to go to Lafayette (Louisiana) or Mobile, to find a similar population (and I think Natchez is, by far, the best of these).

But you can forget about "cheap". Properties are not under-valued, from what I can see. And in the more desirable areas, even humble cabins are pretty pricey, in my opinion. But get on the listings sites, and look around, for a few months. You'll know if what is being offered matches your budget.

Natchez has, for decades, been a mecca for people of limited means, who wanted to move someplace cheap-but-genteel, and play house in old houses - sort of a grownup version of "Let's play like we're rich!" Nothing wrong with that. But like I say, the place has been attracting these folks since the 1930s, and Katrina brought in a tidal wave of them (or maybe I should say "storm surge"?). There's nothing to do there (aside from sitting and drinking) but fix up old houses and sell old houses. This tends to inflate prices.

Natchez definitely has a sinister side, although it's a much smaller slice of the pie than in Jackson or Memphis or Pine Bluff or Greenville or Vicksburg or Port Gibson (where the 'good side' is a tiny sliver of a largely sinister pie). Until not long ago, there was a madam, who got "good-lookin' white girls" hooked on drugs (having grown up in a family of prostitutes, with a Great-Grandmother who had been an actual madam, I know exactly how you get that done...), and had quite a house going, for decades, until a relative of one of "her" girls murdered that madam in an unspeakably gruesome way.

And drugs are changing things in a bad way, as they are doing all over what used to be 'America'. Natchez, if you ask me, is affected less by this than the prevalence of poverty there would tend lead one to predict. That's why having a fine and refined population is an advantage.

You hear wild tales of fabulously rich people who live there. I kinda doubt it. I heard, third-hand, about a famous architect who used to be one of our snootier neighbors, who's moved into the niche of designing flawlessly correct Georgian mansions for third-generation New Money who want to pass themselves off as Old Money (Maybe if I were white, I'd try that, too. But really, I'm glad I don't have that option. It seems like a lot of work, and not any fun at all.). Anyway, these people have hundreds upon hundreds of millions of Dollars, and control things like pharmaceutical companies and insurance companies. That's the threshold for being "fabulously wealthy", these days. But people like that DON'T LIVE IN NATCHEZ.

That architect tentatively worked for ONE of Natchez' "Fabulously wealthy near-billionaires", in upgrading a major historic property. These people paid for one improvement to one room, balked at a rather ordinary quote for new curtains (the Architect has an 'Interiors' section, I suppose...), far below what my crowd around Jackson would typically pay, and far below what run-of-the-millionaires in Hattiesburg routinely pay for drawing room curtains. That "fabulously wealthy" man and wife had a litter of purple cows over the price, and the Architect promptly stopped taking their calls. Fired those loser clients. "And he told us not to take any more calls from Natchez people. They're all a bunch of "broke, alcoholic, Space Cadet losers"."

I learned, long ago, that people tell their design folk more than they do their psychiatrists and attorneys. It's actually harder to get information out of architects and decorators. But I've got my ways... I know which Stairmaster to grab, when I go into a cardio theatre. None of these people will tell you about their own clients, of course. But evil deeds of other professionals' clients do get talked-about. Psychiatrists know who's big homophobic husband is actually a closet case. Lawyers know other things. Decorators know who pays their bills, and who has actual money. There's not a lot of real money in Natchez.

Bottom line? You could do worse, assuming you have an adequate income stream. I would not warn someone like you away from Natchez.

Old 01-31-2015, 05:38 PM

Gloria, you are a hoot! And that's a compliment, truly

How can you speak so eloquently about Mississippi and remain a world away? Portland is indeed breathtaking, but it's like Peyton Place out there...Everyone with a chip on their shoulder; happiness always eluding them.

I say it's time that you bring your genius back to God's country where everyone is polite, genteel, and most of all...actually genuinely happy (err, with the exception of your decorator and florist, which honestly is so sad to hear about, and by the way why aren't they together by now since they both live alone in those huge homes in Madison?)

And besides all of that, we all know that Jesus went to Ole Miss, or was it Mississippi State, and lives somewhere in FNEJ or perhaps these days out Hwy 463...

I say you find an acre-lot with a lake, build a house that looks straight out of Strasbourg, France and lead the change in the J-Metro which only you can bring about. How about it ??!

Old 01-31-2015, 11:57 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,766,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio View Post
Gloria, you are a hoot! And that's a compliment, truly

How can you speak so eloquently about Mississippi and remain a world away? Portland is indeed breathtaking, but it's like Peyton Place out there...Everyone with a chip on their shoulder; happiness always eluding them.

I say it's time that you bring your genius back to God's country where everyone is polite, genteel, and most of all...actually genuinely happy (err, with the exception of your decorator and florist, which honestly is so sad to hear about, and by the way why aren't they together by now since they both live alone in those huge homes in Madison?)

And besides all of that, we all know that Jesus went to Ole Miss, or was it Mississippi State, and lives somewhere in FNEJ or perhaps these days out Hwy 463...

I say you find an acre-lot with a lake, build a house that looks straight out of Strasbourg, France and lead the change in the J-Metro which only you can bring about. How about it ??!
Because I don't remain a world away. In fact, I'm on the road more than I'm home.

Oh, I stopped wondering that, by 1985. Like everybody else in Mississippi, they want Larry the Cable Guy. Everybody wants a "Daddy". Everybody wants a "Bubba". Neither is a Cable Guy or a Daddy or a Bubba. Or, to quote... "Nobody wants some queen: especially some queen." And it's my Ad Man, not my Florist. Our Decorator interfaces with the Florists, so that I don't have to meet them.

They're 'single', not 'unhappy'. And really, those are quite ordinary 5000'sq starter mansions, not the "Big ol' Humpers" like surgeons and plaintiff attorneys build in Madison County.

I'm pretty sure it was MC. But all those colleges seem to take a proprietary interest in that holy personage - invoking his name at football games and such. One has to wonder how he feels, about their taking his name in vain, before proceeding with their violent earthly vanities.

I'm pretty sure that since Vishnu has staked-out a claim on Brandon, https://fauxfoxdotorg.files.wordpres...4/blog-006.jpg, and the Mosque is being built outside Madison Madison County Mosque | mcherald.com | Madison, MS News | The Madison County Herald ; and Zerubabbel is at-large somewhere amid the ruins of Fashionable Northeast Jackson; while both the Good Witches and the Bad Witches are in Canton; and Mammon is comfortably settled in Eastover... In light of all that, I would guess that the Gentle Savior would (if seeking an earthly residence: but truly, he's already been here and done that, and people did not treat him very well) choose Clinton. ...unless, of course, he wants to keep an eye on those other ones, which would not be a bad idea. But frankly, with all that praying at football games; brides tripping down aisles, in churches, in strapless gowns, about to partake in a holy sacrament, while wearing enough makeup to put a hooker to shame; supposedly "Christian" girls at beauty pageants, parading in swimsuits and high heels, like kidnapped Ukrainian girls being auctioned-off to pimps in the "Holy Land"; supposedly "Christian" men carrying-on like depraved pimps, at strip club "bachelor parties"; and Gina Palasini telling folks what a fine Christian girl she is, before "helping" them with retirement Infomercial features Pat Boone endorsing Gina Palasini, it would not surprise me to hear that folks' iniquitous ways have driven the Gentle Savior from the state. If that hasn't happened, it's by his Grace, alone. And so maybe folks should be on their knees, giving thanks, rather than sitting in front of big-screen TVs, eatin' wings and watching the Stupidbowl.

We've still got that multi-acred lot in Madison. But in Mississippi, I could never get my money out of the kind of house we have here (where there are buyers). But Strasbourg is a great place to look for precedents, since, supposedly (and depending on whom one asks), Alsatian Jews are the smartest people in the whole world, and I wouldn't mind importing more of their aura. Also, Alsatian architecture can be rather earthy, and thus would not be ruinously expensive for a smart cookie to build, as would be Danish Neoclassicism (which I wanted for Malibu) or Belgian Art Nouveau (which we would have done on Mercer Island), or German Baroque, which is too expensive to replicate anywhere but in Southampton - and then, only in the best areas. So, we'll make do with the ultra-thrifty 'Chateaux du Dordogne Look', which doesn't require too much more than a bunch of rocks and a nice meadow. http://www.manoir-de-puymangou.com/p...u-location.jpg Besides, you have no idea how much satisfaction I get out of watching people's reactions, when somebody like me says 'Dordogne' - correctly.

Did you know that the architects for Circle Seven/Beagle Bagle in Madison looked at Alsatian precedents? (also, somebody said they imported imagery from the Aquitaine, and from Normandy...) So, really, you're right on target. That's a great building - or would be, if they'd plant about 200 trees... It still works, of course, even with the somewhat bleak setting. http://www.circle7online.com/uploads...e/IMG_2120.jpg The colors certainly say 'Strasbourg'. You could find a buyer for a rustic Alsatian confection, quickly - even in Mississippi: but just not at a price that would justify the effort of building. I don't even have to run the numbers, to know that I'd lose twenty percent. Although... a scaled-down version of the Chateau Palais de Rohan, in plastic stucco over styrofoam, with polystyrene ornament and fake slate... THAT I could sell, and I guarantee they'd pay extra for the curtains and chandeliers (and it would make an even better office park). So thanks! As I've said before, if the West Coast goes to Hell in a handbasket, we'll be back. Lot is sitting there, perimeter secured, forest groomed and underplanted, soil slowly improving after applications of various rock powders and nematodes (the good nematodes, not the bad nematodes...), pond slowly gaining ecological equilibrium, following introductions of beneficial microbes...

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 02-01-2015 at 12:21 AM..

Old 02-03-2015, 08:57 AM

I'm sure I don't know anyone else who had their own ad man and can maintain a conversation about nematodes and Alsatian architectural precedents! What do you think is going to happen with downtown Madison? I know they've hired a company to complete the design. Will it be just an outdoor mall-type development, or could it possibly be a real downtown??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi