Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 09:59 AM

2,612 posts, read 2,040,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyreynolds1977 View Post
Metro data is basically used for census data.
And what about Non-Metropolitan cities aka Micropolitan cities? Not everybody going to be heading to large cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 11:45 AM

1,699 posts, read 1,943,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Why do you view the city's metro as more substantial than it's core population?
Because it's more accurate? A metro area is one big place. Makes no sense to refer to a "core population", unless you are distinguishing between some type of comparison INSIDE that metro area. To someone moving here from out of state, Jackson is the Jackson Metro.

Quote:
And what about Non-Metropolitan cities aka Micropolitan cities? Not everybody going to be heading to large cities.
I don't see what this has to do with anything. The intent is to judge the true population of an area/community.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Because it's more accurate? A metro area is one big place. Makes no sense to refer to a "core population", unless you are distinguishing between some type of comparison INSIDE that metro area. To someone moving here from out of state, Jackson is the Jackson Metro.

I don't see what this has to do with anything. The intent is to judge the true population of an area/community.
1. Ok just wanted to see your view. Reason i mentioned " core population " is because a metro is based of it. A minimum core pop of 50K is considered a metropolitan city. Thus the surrounding area will vary in size obviously.

2. As i stated if a person is moving to a non metro city than how will they find out the "true population " of that city?

Old 01-24-2018, 12:49 AM

799 posts, read 1,056,868 times
Quote:
1. Ok just wanted to see your view. Reason i mentioned " core population " is because a metro is based of it. A minimum core pop of 50K is considered a metropolitan city. Thus the surrounding area will vary in size obviously.

2. As i stated if a person is moving to a non metro city than how will they find out the "true population " of that city?
Counties and cities that fall outside of a metropolitan area are still counted. That's why the United States Census Bureau sends out form for you to fill out. All metropolitan areas are really used for is statistical data. That's why they are also called metropolitan statistical areas.

Old 01-29-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyreynolds1977 View Post
Counties and cities that fall outside of a metropolitan area are still counted. That's why the United States Census Bureau sends out form for you to fill out. All metropolitan areas are really used for is statistical data. That's why they are also called metropolitan statistical areas.
You are telling me the basics that i know. Im speaking on something different.

Old 02-04-2018, 07:10 AM

24 posts, read 24,294 times
The Coast

Old 06-13-2021, 12:45 PM

627 posts, read 280,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio View Post
Gloria, you are a hoot! And that's a compliment, truly

How can you speak so eloquently about Mississippi and remain a world away? Portland is indeed breathtaking, but it's like Peyton Place out there...Everyone with a chip on their shoulder; happiness always eluding them.

I say it's time that you bring your genius back to God's country where everyone is polite, genteel, and most of all...actually genuinely happy (err, with the exception of your decorator and florist, which honestly is so sad to hear about, and by the way why aren't they together by now since they both live alone in those huge homes in Madison?)

And besides all of that, we all know that Jesus went to Ole Miss, or was it Mississippi State, and lives somewhere in FNEJ or perhaps these days out Hwy 463...

I say you find an acre-lot with a lake, build a house that looks straight out of Strasbourg, France and lead the change in the J-Metro which only you can bring about. How about it ??!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Because I don't remain a world away. In fact, I'm on the road more than I'm home.

Oh, I stopped wondering that, by 1985. Like everybody else in Mississippi, they want Larry the Cable Guy. Everybody wants a "Daddy". Everybody wants a "Bubba". Neither is a Cable Guy or a Daddy or a Bubba. Or, to quote... "Nobody wants some queen: especially some queen." And it's my Ad Man, not my Florist. Our Decorator interfaces with the Florists, so that I don't have to meet them.

They're 'single', not 'unhappy'. And really, those are quite ordinary 5000'sq starter mansions, not the "Big ol' Humpers" like surgeons and plaintiff attorneys build in Madison County.

I'm pretty sure it was MC. But all those colleges seem to take a proprietary interest in that holy personage - invoking his name at football games and such. One has to wonder how he feels, about their taking his name in vain, before proceeding with their violent earthly vanities.

I'm pretty sure that since Vishnu has staked-out a claim on Brandon, https://fauxfoxdotorg.files.wordpres...4/blog-006.jpg, and the Mosque is being built outside Madison Madison County Mosque | mcherald.com | Madison, MS News | The Madison County Herald ; and Zerubabbel is at-large somewhere amid the ruins of Fashionable Northeast Jackson; while both the Good Witches and the Bad Witches are in Canton; and Mammon is comfortably settled in Eastover... In light of all that, I would guess that the Gentle Savior would (if seeking an earthly residence: but truly, he's already been here and done that, and people did not treat him very well) choose Clinton. ...unless, of course, he wants to keep an eye on those other ones, which would not be a bad idea. But frankly, with all that praying at football games; brides tripping down aisles, in churches, in strapless gowns, about to partake in a holy sacrament, while wearing enough makeup to put a hooker to shame; supposedly "Christian" girls at beauty pageants, parading in swimsuits and high heels, like kidnapped Ukrainian girls being auctioned-off to pimps in the "Holy Land"; supposedly "Christian" men carrying-on like depraved pimps, at strip club "bachelor parties"; and Gina Palasini telling folks what a fine Christian girl she is, before "helping" them with retirement Infomercial features Pat Boone endorsing Gina Palasini, it would not surprise me to hear that folks' iniquitous ways have driven the Gentle Savior from the state. If that hasn't happened, it's by his Grace, alone. And so maybe folks should be on their knees, giving thanks, rather than sitting in front of big-screen TVs, eatin' wings and watching the Stupidbowl.

We've still got that multi-acred lot in Madison. But in Mississippi, I could never get my money out of the kind of house we have here (where there are buyers). But Strasbourg is a great place to look for precedents, since, supposedly (and depending on whom one asks), Alsatian Jews are the smartest people in the whole world, and I wouldn't mind importing more of their aura. Also, Alsatian architecture can be rather earthy, and thus would not be ruinously expensive for a smart cookie to build, as would be Danish Neoclassicism (which I wanted for Malibu) or Belgian Art Nouveau (which we would have done on Mercer Island), or German Baroque, which is too expensive to replicate anywhere but in Southampton - and then, only in the best areas. So, we'll make do with the ultra-thrifty 'Chateaux du Dordogne Look', which doesn't require too much more than a bunch of rocks and a nice meadow. http://www.manoir-de-puymangou.com/p...u-location.jpg Besides, you have no idea how much satisfaction I get out of watching people's reactions, when somebody like me says 'Dordogne' - correctly.

Did you know that the architects for Circle Seven/Beagle Bagle in Madison looked at Alsatian precedents? (also, somebody said they imported imagery from the Aquitaine, and from Normandy...) So, really, you're right on target. That's a great building - or would be, if they'd plant about 200 trees... It still works, of course, even with the somewhat bleak setting. http://www.circle7online.com/uploads...e/IMG_2120.jpg The colors certainly say 'Strasbourg'. You could find a buyer for a rustic Alsatian confection, quickly - even in Mississippi: but just not at a price that would justify the effort of building. I don't even have to run the numbers, to know that I'd lose twenty percent. Although... a scaled-down version of the Chateau Palais de Rohan, in plastic stucco over styrofoam, with polystyrene ornament and fake slate... THAT I could sell, and I guarantee they'd pay extra for the curtains and chandeliers (and it would make an even better office park). So thanks! As I've said before, if the West Coast goes to Hell in a handbasket, we'll be back. Lot is sitting there, perimeter secured, forest groomed and underplanted, soil slowly improving after applications of various rock powders and nematodes (the good nematodes, not the bad nematodes...), pond slowly gaining ecological equilibrium, following introductions of beneficial microbes...
Does anyone else vote for GrandviewGloria putting together all her posts about MS and collating it all into the most awesomely funny and insightful book about life in MS (at least her perspective, which is its own, but a walk down a rcich read?)

Gloria, you need to get published beyond CD!

Old 06-15-2021, 04:34 AM

32,819 posts, read 12,097,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaea View Post
Does anyone else vote for GrandviewGloria putting together all her posts about MS and collating it all into the most awesomely funny and insightful book about life in MS (at least her perspective, which is its own, but a walk down a rcich read?)

Gloria, you need to get published beyond CD!

I do !

I really enjoy reading her posts.

Old 06-17-2021, 11:26 AM

3,377 posts, read 4,987,408 times
I still have my eye on Senatobia, Desoto County, Pontotoc, Tupelo and Corinth.

Old 06-18-2021, 07:30 AM

1,288 posts, read 1,850,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
I still have my eye on Senatobia, Desoto County, Pontotoc, Tupelo and Corinth.
I would add Hernando in that mix, it is a good small town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi