U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2014, 01:33 PM

1,098 posts, read 2,767,019 times

Advertisements

Have we done this thread in a while? I just can't resist! (So sue me; I must be in a good mood this morning!)

I'll take a stab:

Bay St. Louis - Melts in your mouth. Every time I'm there, I feel sorry for the rest of the world which simply can't compare to the delight that is downtown Bay St. Louis. If the views of the bay and the gulf were not enough, the community beach is ideal with locals to come walk, picnic, ride bikes and lie in the sun.

And who doesn't adore those french-influenced Victorian cottages in town, with lots of local art. And those giant live oak trees...to die for!

Lastly, as if all that weren't enough, how about the brand-new marina downtown, just in case you're out boating and want to pull up to downtown Bay St. Louis for lunch or an evening cocktail. What else could be better?

Pass Christian - Indeed, what else can be better than Bay St. Louis. Hmmm, well there's a little place called Pass Christian right across the bay that makes a strong case. Pass Christian doesn't so much melt in your mouth, like Bay St. Louis. Rather, it makes you want to go to Brooks Brothers or Anthropology and buy a new outfit.

It's Nantucket with New Orleans down the road. The row of mansions, adorned with luxuriant live oaks and sizzling palm trees, dressed with a silvery-white beach says "dinner party, amid warm coastal breezes and dolphin sightings", to Bay St. Louis' "coastal cocktails, water-side deck with football and kite-flying." Either way, Pass Christian is dream-like.

Ocean Springs - As downtown Ocean Springs grows, it transitions from cozy, artsy beach town to an urbane, sophisticated, real contender. As you pass the restaurants and bars, one after another over several blocks, you wonder "am I in D.C., or am I Nashville, perhaps Asheville, or is it Austin?" Answer: No, you're in Ocean Springs and it's for real.

Cozy, bustling, artsy downtown. Check. Adorable community beach-front colored with people out walking, running, biking, and playing volleyball. Check. Waterside homes and yachts? Check.

A bridge away from vibrant nightlife with music, restaurants, and action. Check. In short, why move to Austin, Nashville, or Raleigh when you can have a great atmosphere along with beaches, boats, and islands galore? Check.

Oxford - As if Oxford didn't already get endless amounts of favorable press...The Square!...The Grove!...Now they actually have a good football team and we're told about "beautiful Oxford" weekly during prime-time ESPN.

And what a contrast to watch those games and see the attractive, well-dressed people compared to the football fans that fill the tv screen on Sundays. Is Oxford the best place to live in America?

Well, there's little places like San Francisco, Cambridge, Laguna Beach, Charleston, Dupont Circle, Tribeca, and Boulder, et al, that beg to differ. That said, if you placed Oxford smack dab in the middle of any of those places, it would be the priciest, most desired place to live in any of those cities.

Natchez - Much like Oxford, if you placed Natchez in the middle of any of those places (Boston, DC, New York, LA, Denver, Portland, Seattle), can you imagine the prices?! Natchez has the most antebellum homes in America.

The downtown is loaded with interesting buildings large and small, with magnificent views from its perch high above the Mississippi. The surrounding terrain is mesmerizing, once you drive into fiction-like lushness of the forests amid steep ridges and cool, deep ravines.

Tupelo - Tupelo is everything that Natchez is not. And that's a good thing. It's so new; I have yet to find the bad section of Tupelo. Is there one? Natchez is sultry while Tupelo is temperate. It snows in Tupelo. Maple trees can grow in Tupelo with their crisp fall foliage.

Natchez is adorned with massive live oaks draped with Spanish moss. Tupelo is a quick drive to Pickwick, with its limestone outcroppings and cool, clear, deep waters. Natchez is all about the mighty Mississippi and is all about the arts. Tupelo is all about billion dollar, state-of-the-art industries such as Toyota.

Tupelo has schools. Tupelo is also an easy hour's drive to year-round football, basketball in Oxford and Starkville. Tupelo has its country clubs and new subdivisions with new homes on large, spacious lots.

Tupelo has its restaurants, shiny-new Target, Home Depot and the like. Tupelo is virtually crime-free. Tupelo is for jobs and families and above all, the good life.

Madison - Take a nice drive starting at the shiny-new and delectable township at Livingston at Hwy 22 and go south along Hwy 463 past Lake Caroline, Annandale, Reunion, Ingleside and dozens of other lakeside, golf-side, and large wooded lots with Acadian homes, complete with restaurant-quality kitchens, swimming pools, and 21st century media rooms.

Then zip down Highland Colony Parkway past dazzling Township at Colony Park and the Renaissance amid sparkling hotels, shops, and office buildings. Then make your way up to Grandview Blvd amid sparkling big box retailers. Just looking at the immaculate Best Buy, movie theatre, and Lowe's says one thing: Safe.

From there zip over to picture-perfect Lost Rabbit and take in the giant views of the 3-mile wide Pearl River and bask in the historic architecture with brand-new homes. Then take the short drive down Rice Rd to the Jackson Yacht Club with its gorgeous views and the gusty, windy perfection of late afternoons and sunsets on the balcony and by the pool. Madison stands for one thing: the good life.

Hattiesburg - While Madison thinks it's got the good life unmatched in Mississippi, Hattiesburg begs to differ! Take a quick drive through Canebrake with dense pine forests, sparkling lakes and elegant homes and indeed you will wonder whether Madison realizes the competition just 90 miles to the south.

The good life here means an hour and a half to everything: the French Quarter, the Saints, Beau Rivage, Ship Island, and Gulf Shores. The good life here also means safety, growth, and location, and the arts. USM has a lovely school of music, theatre and dance. Hattiesburg is Mississippi's Houston...sultry, bustling, high-spirited, and welcoming. Hattiesburg knows it's got a very big argument for the good life, right there for the taking.

Brookhaven - Do you imagine Mississippi with mystical mansions set amid towering pines and oaks? How about a quick little bike ride to Main Street, alive with local stores and restaurants. How about an irresistible, luxuriant deep-South climate?

Then there's the bustling interstate exit with all the new shopping you need (Wal-Mart, Walgreens check and check). Indeed Brookhaven is perhaps what would occur if Tupelo and Natchez had a child together...classical deep South weather, landscaping, location, and architecture but with a healthy, buzzing feeling of economic growth and progress.

Every time I drive through there, I find myself thinking "My God, these people have the best place to live in the world and in a quiet, unassuming way, they know it." Brookhaven is Mississippi's best-kept secret.

DeSoto County - This could be Kansas City or Plano, Texas, or Gwinnett County, Georgia. Lots and lots of jobs. Shiny, new homes. Safety, safety, safety. Schools! 4 mild seasons with a bit of snow, t fall colors, luxuriant springs and steamy summers. DeSoto County is the real America. It's full of newcomers from across the country.

You're 5 minutes from Target and 5 minutes from the movie theatre. The family loves the huge youth baseball complex and amphitheater. Several times a year they drive an hour to Oxford for football, basketball, and baseball games. DeSoto County is America in miniature, the good life indeed.

Starkville - I will admit I am in love with Mississippi State's spacious, unassuming, and welcoming campus. I just love it. Every bit of it. And I cannot wait to see completion of the campus master plan, in particular the massive new campus quad on the new south lawn, a couple hundred yards due south of the Junction, that with the planned landscaping will be something akin to Mississippi State's Central Park.

Downtown Starkville has come alive in the last decade. Over the next couple of decades, I predict that new buildings will be built in downtown Starkville, with three-plus stories adding to the downtown atmosphere. And one day, perhaps in th next 25 years, they will transform Highway 12 which runs along the edge of the MSU campus, into a New Orleans style avenue, giving Mississippi State a feeling similar to UNC Chapel Hill, the way downtown Chapel Hill runs next to the UNC campus.

On the south side of Starkville, new homes and subdivisions abound. Mississippi State is alive with students and collegiate sports. Starkville is very much about the future. Spacious, pleasant and livable and most importantly, it has only just begun.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 06:52 PM

985 posts, read 1,027,751 times
I would take Natchez off the list. Most of the population is improvised (high crime), it's not close to anything and the schools are horrible. I agree there is a lot of stately homes, history and nice scenery, but little to do that lasts longer than an overnight stay.

Add Brandon, it still holds onto family and community values, but is close enough to shopping, dinning, restaurants, nightlife, etc, to appeal to a wide range of tastes.

There are some nice towns in the northeast part of the state, but you're far from anything.

Carrollton has held on to it's charm and is still low crime and family friendly; however, you're still far from any nice sized towns.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:50 PM

I agree that Natchez is a place where you want to be wealthy. For those who are, it can be heavenly.

Old 11-02-2014, 10:14 PM

404 posts, read 338,942 times
I have been considering a move to either Biloxi or Gulfport. Do you rate those cities highly as well?

Old 11-04-2014, 08:51 PM

985 posts, read 1,027,751 times
You will be fine in either. For the most part, you can't tell when you leave in one coast city and arrive in another. If you live south of I-10, hurricanes will be more of a threat. I'm not sure how the homeowners insurance works, but it may be high.

The coast is one of the nicer areas of the state, unfortantly due to barrier islands, you will not find a Florida beach type situation.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:20 PM

Adding to my list above for best places to live, let me first affirm three on the list above and add another one.

This week I happened to drive through DeSoto County, Oxford, and Tupelo. The crisp November landscape of North Mississippi felt clean, green, neat, and modern. Was it North Mississippi or was I traveling from Germany to Holland? If one weren't paying attention along Hwy 78/I-22, one could imagine just that.

With all the comments about Mississippi being "poor", someone forgot to tell Mississippi. We already know about Oxford's Disney-esque quality. But how about Tupelo? Top to bottom it looks fresh and updated. The small downtown area gets better with each visit. It's busy, alive, growing, and changing. The residential areas...Nice. The shopping areas...Modern suburban and clean and safe. The economic situation...See giant Toyota plant.

Up the road from Tupelo is a town rarely mentioned on these boards... New Albany. What a transformation that community has made in a short time. Blessedly just 5 minutes from Toyota, New Albany somehow seemingly went from podunk to prosperous in about a day. The interstate in its conversion to I-22 needed a major restoration in the section that runs through New Albany. It looks fabulous. The new park with blue tennis courts along the interstate...Nice touch. The suburban stores...New-looking.

The downtown Main St. looks terrific. Some stores in the cool temps had their doors open. It borders on fashionable. New residential areas along Old Hwy 78 just east of town...Upscale. The new Tanglefoot Trail for walkers and bikers...Refreshing. Somehow in about ten years this town went from semi-abandoned farm town to prosperous and modern. If I lived on Long Island or Cleveland or Detroit and was tired of snow, crime, and traffic and was looking for a small town of less than 10,000 people with a mild 4 season climate, New Albany would be on the list. With Oxford 30 minutes away and Tupelo 20 minutes (and Memphis an hour), the future is bright.

DeSoto County we already know is booming and really has only just begun. Once the new interstate loop I-69 opens in the next year or two, connecting this area (Hernando, Olive Branch, Southaven and Lewisburg) to Germantown and Collierville, TN, I predict that this southern part of DeSoto County will become even more upscale similar to Germantown, TN. It would help if MS legislature would lower personal income tax rates by a couple of points (e.g. from 5% to at least 3% perhaps), so Mississippi could compete better with Tennessee for the richest people in metro Memphis who are looking to move to the outer suburbs. In any event, good things are ahead indeed.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:31 PM

3,268 posts, read 4,413,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio View Post
Adding to my list above for best places to live, let me first affirm three on the list above and add another one.

This week I happened to drive through DeSoto County, Oxford, and Tupelo. The crisp November landscape of North Mississippi felt clean, green, neat, and modern. Was it North Mississippi or was I traveling from Germany to Holland? If one weren't paying attention along Hwy 78/I-22, one could imagine just that.

With all the comments about Mississippi being "poor", someone forgot to tell Mississippi. We already know about Oxford's Disney-esque quality. But how about Tupelo? Top to bottom it looks fresh and updated. The small downtown area gets better with each visit. It's busy, alive, growing, and changing. The residential areas...Nice. The shopping areas...Modern suburban and clean and safe. The economic situation...See giant Toyota plant.

Up the road from Tupelo is a town rarely mentioned on these boards... New Albany. What a transformation that community has made in a short time. Blessedly just 5 minutes from Toyota, New Albany somehow seemingly went from podunk to prosperous in about a day. The interstate in its conversion to I-22 needed a major restoration in the section that runs through New Albany. It looks fabulous. The new park with blue tennis courts along the interstate...Nice touch. The suburban stores...New-looking.

The downtown Main St. looks terrific. Some stores in the cool temps had their doors open. It borders on fashionable. New residential areas along Old Hwy 78 just east of town...Upscale. The new Tanglefoot Trail for walkers and bikers...Refreshing. Somehow in about ten years this town went from semi-abandoned farm town to prosperous and modern. If I lived on Long Island or Cleveland or Detroit and was tired of snow, crime, and traffic and was looking for a small town of less than 10,000 people with a mild 4 season climate, New Albany would be on the list. With Oxford 30 minutes away and Tupelo 20 minutes (and Memphis an hour), the future is bright.

DeSoto County we already know is booming and really has only just begun. Once the new interstate loop I-69 opens in the next year or two, connecting this area (Hernando, Olive Branch, Southaven and Lewisburg) to Germantown and Collierville, TN, I predict that this southern part of DeSoto County will become even more upscale similar to Germantown, TN. It would help if MS legislature would lower personal income tax rates by a couple of points (e.g. from 5% to at least 3% perhaps), so Mississippi could compete better with Tennessee for the richest people in metro Memphis who are looking to move to the outer suburbs. In any event, good things are ahead indeed.
I'd agree with this.

Old 11-07-2014, 01:08 AM

4,991 posts, read 7,671,334 times
Isn't this like asking who's the tallest midget?

Old 11-09-2014, 06:30 PM

7 posts, read 12,943 times
My wife and I are moving to Ocean Springs in December. We're moving from the Jackson area. Jackson has become ..... well, I just can't think of anything good to write about it.

Old 11-09-2014, 06:50 PM

I'll add a few towns that never get mentioned or discussed on these boards, starting today with McComb.

McComb - I've always been smitten with McComb. It strikes a notable contrast with Brookhaven. Brookhaven stands out with its elegant mansions and huge yards and giant trees and lush greenery that epitomize the beauty of the quintessential Deep South small town.

McComb, just 25 miles to the south, in contrast has an urban feeling, built on a tight urban street grid, born of the railroad with dozens of blocks of modest but charming cottages and bungalows. They are just the sort of bungalows that call out for artists to come and redo to their own liking. McComb has a lovely rolling topography and is full of the most beautiful towering pines and grandiose draping live oaks you've ever seen.

The outskirts of McComb just across I-55 have the new homes, many on expansive, multi-acred,deeply wooded, hilly lots, some of the most beautiful residential lots I've ever seen, just with the right rolling topography, massive trees and pretty lakes. The southern French Colonial architecture, aka "Louisiana plantation" with the front porches, French doors and shutters and dormers jutting out of the roof, reside perfectly in the steamy, green landscape decorated throughout with azaleas and camellias.

And perhaps because of its location on the interstate heading to New Orleans, McComb is growing slightly along with neighboring Brookhaven, i.e. it's not the Delta. They have a buzzing commercial area by the interstate with Home Depot, Wal-Mart, Walgreens, and the like. While Brookhaven never lost its downtown, McComb is now beginning to renovate and add stores, restaurants and businesses to its charming downtown area right next to the railroad tracks. And blessedly McComb has the most beautiful state park right outside town, complete with lovely lake and golf course.

I've always thought that for a person seeking out that classical Deep South, small-town environment as a place to live, McComb would be an absolutely delectable lifestyle. The cottages and bungalows, the lush pine forests, giant live oaks and rolling hills, the azaleas and camellias, the French colonial architecture, the small town charm combined with modern commercial development and quick hour and a half drive to New Orleans...what else could one ask for?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi