Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2014, 10:38 AM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times

Advertisements

It was cold and rainy last night. At 9 PM I got the bums rush from both dogs, letting me know it was not too cold for them, so out they went.

In our neighborhood everyone lets their dogs out at 9 PM. The dogs visit each other, get dirty sometimes, poop in each other's yards, and generally behave like the wild dogs they envision themselves to be. Twenty minutes later is was over. Wet, happy dogs were toweled off, and had settled by the fire to dream of tomorrow, just like the rest of us.

We have a new frog.
The Woman brought her plant in from my office, which is in a building in the back of the lot. This particular plant blooms during the winter, so she moves it in as a Christmas decoration. When she placed it in the sink for fresh water a little green frog popped up.
He's a cute follow - all green with some lighter green and yellow highlights and red around his eyes. He's the kind of frog with suckers on his feet, and greatly preferred The Woman's blouse to drowning in his home.
We let him stay there until his plant was properly watered, and then carefully placed him back in the plant. I checked this morning, and he's still there.
We're going to feed him by placing orange pieces or banana pieces around his plant. I'm pretty sure the ubiquitous fruit flies will find our "trash" and Freddy will find them. With luck, Freddy will live out his life in our plant.

The wood stove keeps the house at 75 degrees, but that's only in the living area. The temperature in the bedrooms was just right for sleeping, so the dog, The Woman, and I settled in.

The Punkin dropped by this morning. She wondered if Her Mother would help her with Christmas decorations this week end. Yes, of course.

An old Navy buddy from 1968 died this week. I saw him last year at the reunion and I knew he was not doing well. Didn't make it any easier, though. When I felt that I could talk to his wife I called her, but as soon as I started talking we both fell apart. Didn't see that coming. I'll try again in a week or two. The other guys suggested we invite her to our next reunion. There were only 15 of us in that particular unit, so we were more like family than buddies. It's hard, losing part of your history like that. I think about him constantly at this stage, but I've done this before. I know the drill.

The leaves have fallen and as soon as it dries out enough I will begin to pick them up, mulch them and put them in the various planting areas around the lot. I covered the dragonfly pond with an open mesh material to try to keep the leaves out of it. Seems to be working well, and when I get things cleaned up I'll take it back off. We had lots of dragon flies this year - even had some new species that I had not seen before. They eat the mosquitoes and we love to watch them.

Life in Mississippi; it's probably not what you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 11:58 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
It was cold and rainy last night. At 9 PM I got the bums rush from both dogs, letting me know it was not too cold for them, so out they went.

In our neighborhood everyone lets their dogs out at 9 PM. The dogs visit each other, get dirty sometimes, poop in each other's yards, and generally behave like the wild dogs they envision themselves to be. Twenty minutes later is was over. Wet, happy dogs were toweled off, and had settled by the fire to dream of tomorrow, just like the rest of us.

We have a new frog.
The Woman brought her plant in from my office, which is in a building in the back of the lot. This particular plant blooms during the winter, so she moves it in as a Christmas decoration. When she placed it in the sink for fresh water a little green frog popped up.
He's a cute follow - all green with some lighter green and yellow highlights and red around his eyes. He's the kind of frog with suckers on his feet, and greatly preferred The Woman's blouse to drowning in his home.
We let him stay there until his plant was properly watered, and then carefully placed him back in the plant. I checked this morning, and he's still there.
We're going to feed him by placing orange pieces or banana pieces around his plant. I'm pretty sure the ubiquitous fruit flies will find our "trash" and Freddy will find them. With luck, Freddy will live out his life in our plant.

The wood stove keeps the house at 75 degrees, but that's only in the living area. The temperature in the bedrooms was just right for sleeping, so the dog, The Woman, and I settled in.

The Punkin dropped by this morning. She wondered if Her Mother would help her with Christmas decorations this week end. Yes, of course.

An old Navy buddy from 1968 died this week. I saw him last year at the reunion and I knew he was not doing well. Didn't make it any easier, though. When I felt that I could talk to his wife I called her, but as soon as I started talking we both fell apart. Didn't see that coming. I'll try again in a week or two. The other guys suggested we invite her to our next reunion. There were only 15 of us in that particular unit, so we were more like family than buddies. It's hard, losing part of your history like that. I think about him constantly at this stage, but I've done this before. I know the drill.

The leaves have fallen and as soon as it dries out enough I will begin to pick them up, mulch them and put them in the various planting areas around the lot. I covered the dragonfly pond with an open mesh material to try to keep the leaves out of it. Seems to be working well, and when I get things cleaned up I'll take it back off. We had lots of dragon flies this year - even had some new species that I had not seen before. They eat the mosquitoes and we love to watch them.

Delightful.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:49 AM

98 posts, read 137,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

We have a new frog.

Absolutely love this story. Makes me homesick.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:31 AM

68 posts, read 121,735 times
Apparently I've repped you before so it won't let me.
So here -

Old 12-04-2014, 05:09 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,110,072 times
Gorgeous...Reads like Eudora Welty. I think you might take your shot at being the next great Mississippi writer.

Old 12-05-2014, 03:03 AM

1 posts, read 940 times
Your description gives me a full view of this city.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:41 AM

560 posts, read 786,706 times
Thank you for another wonderful story. So enjoyable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi