Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 08:13 AM

2 posts, read 8,564 times

Advertisements

how are y'all doin, I am originally from N,Y. but lived in Fla. for 20yrs (half my life) and moved back to N.Y 4yrs ago because of a death in the family + my mother being all alone. well stupid me bought a house here, and now we just cant take the drug activity and the crap that happens out in the street of this small city we live in, so we are looking to move back down south and get back to bein country folk, any ideas of where to move? we found a nice plot in Amory,Ms what is that area like? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 03:30 PM

376 posts, read 1,773,029 times
Amory is decent. Anything in Northeast Mississippi is pretty crime free, cheap, and country. Tupelo offers most the amenities including a good hospital. If you want to be near a typical charming Southern town, then a country house near Oxford would be great. It's a very hot area for retirees and the town has most amenties anyone could want.

Old 08-17-2007, 05:47 PM

13,336 posts, read 39,721,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennreb View Post
Amory is decent. Anything in Northeast Mississippi is pretty crime free, cheap, and country. Tupelo offers most the amenities including a good hospital. If you want to be near a typical charming Southern town, then a country house near Oxford would be great. It's a very hot area for retirees and the town has most amenties anyone could want.
Amen about Oxford! Not only is it a fantastic town with a whole lot of Southern culture and charm crammed into a few square miles, but the university attracts people from all over the place. In other words, it's a pretty welcoming town. When I was a student at Ole Miss I had a bunch of professors who were from up North and who felt completely at home in Oxford and never wanted to leave.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:42 PM

4 posts, read 26,534 times
Batesville would be a nice place to retire as well. Your out of the hustle and bustle of Oxford but only 20 minutes drive if you wanted to go there. I have issues with Batesville as a resident at times, but I will say that it is a quiet and crime free town and there are still plenty of nice, quiet country homes at reasonable cost.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:02 AM

376 posts, read 1,773,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaState View Post
Batesville would be a nice place to retire as well. Your out of the hustle and bustle of Oxford but only 20 minutes drive if you wanted to go there. I have issues with Batesville as a resident at times, but I will say that it is a quiet and crime free town and there are still plenty of nice, quiet country homes at reasonable cost.
The rural area between Batesville and Oxford would be a good place for these folks. You can get away from high Oxford real estate values without dealing with the Batesville problems. Lafayette County tends to have lower taxes and better services than Panola County, though.

Old 08-25-2007, 10:44 AM

21 posts, read 222,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsalter66 View Post
how are y'all doin, I am originally from N,Y. but lived in Fla. for 20yrs (half my life) and moved back to N.Y 4yrs ago because of a death in the family + my mother being all alone. well stupid me bought a house here, and now we just cant take the drug activity and the crap that happens out in the street of this small city we live in, so we are looking to move back down south and get back to bein country folk, any ideas of where to move? we found a nice plot in Amory,Ms what is that area like? thanks
Amory is a nice town I grew up in a little community about 15 miles from there. If you have any specific questions e-mail me at [color="Red"]Moderator cut: please use direct message or email feature by clicking on poster's name

Last edited by Sam I Am; 10-23-2007 at 05:49 AM..

Old 10-22-2007, 05:20 PM

32 posts, read 193,860 times
Hi if you are still looking, there are a lot of options for finding crime free country living in MS. Where you choose would mainly be based upon if you are retired or still working and what type of work you would need.

I live about 30 miles south of Jackson on five acres of land in the north west corner of Simpson county MS. I love the peace and privacy that we have on our place. Plus in 1994 I built a fishing pond that all I have to do is walk about 50 feet out my back door and I am on my fishing dock where I can catch a great mess of catfish for supper almost any time I desire. It is also stocked with brim and large mouth bass.

I have lived here on the property since 1987 and in that time I have never had anything come up stolen or missing and I have all kinds of tools etc that are never locked up. Our place is hidden from view from the paved road and we have our own private drive from the paved road that leads to our place and nothing else.

Due to health reasons we are going to have to be moving as soon as I finish up some work on the place so we can put it up for sale since I had a heart attack about a month ago and my wife is still being treated for breast cancer so we both feel that even though we love living here we realize it is time to move closer to family. It is hard to adjust to the thought of not having our privacy and our own fishing pond along with the other joys of country living.

Hope that you find your piece of the country life.

Last edited by billr; 10-22-2007 at 05:23 PM.. Reason: word correction

Old 10-23-2007, 08:34 PM

268 posts, read 1,010,978 times
I live just outside of Poplarville in Pearl River county. There are lots of places around the area that are nice. It is a very small town, and it is within 30 minutes of anything you would want or need. I like going there b/c it is small and quaint.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:17 AM

1,065 posts, read 3,854,995 times
I live in the mountainous northeast corner of Tennessee. If you want to find a peaceful, beautiful, rural setting with a high quality lifestyle, then you should check out the Tri-Cities area of northeast Tennessee. Go to( Tennessee - Kingsport-Johnson City-Bristol ) on City-Data.com.

Last edited by williboy; 10-28-2007 at 12:26 AM..

Old 10-28-2007, 11:03 AM

60 posts, read 231,796 times
I live about 30 miles south of Jackson on five acres of land in the north west corner of Simpson county MS. I love the peace and privacy that we have on our place. Plus in 1994 I built a fishing pond that all I have to do is walk about 50 feet out my back door and I am on my fishing dock where I can catch a great mess of catfish for supper almost any time I desire. It is also stocked with brim and large mouth bass.

How wonderful for a fisherman to live in a location like this! If you were to ask my husband on the perfect place to live, he would say next to a golf course! lol

Due to health reasons we are going to have to be moving as soon as I finish up some work on the place so we can put it up for sale since I had a heart attack about a month ago and my wife is still being treated for breast cancer so we both feel that even though we love living here we realize it is time to move closer to family. It is hard to adjust to the thought of not having our privacy and our own fishing pond along with the other joys of country living.

I'm sorry to hear about the health problems you and your wife have. As we get older, we have more and more health problems it seems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi