Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2015, 06:44 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,563,890 times

Advertisements

Hello all.

I've never been to Mississippi I was wondering if anyone could give me insight of what its like down there. I'm African American so I'm definitely curious about what it's like from a black persons standpoint as well. How are race relations in MS? Are all the stereotypes about it true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 06:37 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,243,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
Are all the stereotypes about it true?
Short answer: No.

Slightly longer:
Are there racists in Mississippi? Of course, but at no higher a percentage of the population as any other state. The era of Jim Crow with white sheriffs dominating colored communities is long over. If a black driver breaks down on a rural MS road and a 4x4 pickup pulls over, it's much more likely the rednecks are stopping to help than to harm.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:18 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
It's pretty much like Montgomery County, Maryland. Really - I get tired of saying this. I've been in 48 states in this country, all are about the same.

Now...I can give you some stories on India.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:49 AM

144 posts, read 205,137 times
Mississippi is wonderful. The only place better in my view is Louisiana.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:09 PM

1,257 posts, read 888,538 times
Having traveled quite a lot through our country, I have to say I don't think every place is the same. I don't believe Mississippi is like every other state in the country, no. I was born and raised in Northern Michigan before coming to the Deep South/Gulf Coast of Mississippi 4 years ago and it's very different in many ways. There are many more black people here than where we lived in Michigan, and sadly, we have found that racism goes both ways ... something I never realized until we moved here. It's a different way of life and culture than where we were raised ... yes, people are people no matter where you go, but there are a lot of complexities that can't be put into words, you just have to experience it. That said, location in Mississippi (and anywhere, for that matter) makes a big difference. Our town has a very different feel from a couple of towns over, the people are different there, too.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:48 PM

10 posts, read 8,804 times
I live in Mississippi for school and have heard the N word used here more than anywhere else I've lived. Not every town is the same. My wife is black and she definitely thinks its worse here, but she's also from Minnesota, which is quite culturally different.

There's plenty of nice people in Mississippi, even true southern hospitality like all the positive stereotypes.

Overall I'd say it's a mixed bag with more friendliness but definitely some lingering prejudice. People are also a little myopic in that most people that I've met haven't traveled much or ever lived outside of the state, so their opinions on things tend to be distinctly regionally influenced. Mississippi is most like Alabama, Louisiana, and west TN/east Arkansas. Even Georgia is quite different in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi