Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2015, 09:35 PM

114 posts, read 223,259 times

Advertisements

Does anyone knows if "food deserts" are more common in parts of Mississippi than other areas in the Southeastern USA?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g-X8GNBYCM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 12:05 AM

799 posts, read 1,064,714 times
USDA Defines Food Deserts | American Nutrition Association

Here's a good map. Most of them are in the south and most of them are rural areas. So the number of the in the Mississippi Delta makes sense.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:10 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Love the map. It includes the area around Big Bend National Park.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:53 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
If more people did like their ancestors and grow vegetable gardens in the summer, the problem would lessen a bit.

I see the water tower in Lambert has been repainted. It used to be painted like a cotton boll, like the one in Sumner.

http://tinyurl.com/p9ygvok

Old 05-27-2015, 11:26 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,766,785 times
Default Yes. They ARE

Food Deserts in Mississippi are more common, more extensive, and more devastating in their impact on individuals: especially in the Delta. And that's why it's so important to evacuate the Delta's poor to better places. Atlanta is the obvious choice, since it's the unofficial Capital of the South. Tyler Perry speaks about the transformational aspect of arriving in Atlanta, where there is so much opportunity for traditionally poor and oppressed peoples.

The difference is like day and night. Suddenly, there is access to big grocery stores (far different from living at the edge of a field, without any store, of any kind, within walking distance), excellent services of all kinds, and jobs galore, for anyone who might be inclined to work.

Two generations of my own uncles, on the Native American side, left Mississippi for cities like Atlanta (they've lived/owned industries in Ashville, Charlotte, Knoxville, Chattanooga...). They were dirt-poor, from a family frequently on the verge of starvation. If they'd stayed, the choice would have been between subsistence farming and criminality. But they made it out of Mississippi, and are doing well: REALLY well. They married white people from prominent families, and their descendants are now in "Hidden World of Atlanta's Private Clubs". (would'a been nice if they'd snatched Mom & me out of our poverty, when I was a baby. But they did "discover Gloria" after I'd crawled out of that mudhole on my own, gotten a doctorate, a spectacular husband, "connections", and a sizable array of investments: but I'll take what's offered - with gratitude. It's nice up in those country clubs. It's nice not having to "fly commercial", anymore. And it's nice at their beach houses and their mountain houses. And it was nice for my children to suddenly have relatives.)

One of Mississippi's power companies ran an ad, once, with text that read something like, "A TEN DOLLAR BILL and A CHOICE: Not too long ago, many a young man was faced with the agonizing choice of using that Ten Dollar Bill to feed his family, or to use it for gas, to drive his family as far from Mississippi as that money would take them." (The point of the ad, of course, was that rural electrification had made things better. It did: but not TOO much better. I assume readers understand they need to adjust for Inflation.) My uncles chose to leave. They did not look back.

And the benefits of such a move are even more pronounced for Blacks than they are for us Indians.

Poor whites zoom ahead, too, when they make it to more prosperous regions. It's as if some invisible force which had been holding you down is suddenly lifted. So much more is possible. And so much more is profitable.

Really, evacuating Mississippi's poor to less oppressive environments in other states would make a wonderful focus for a charitable group.

Mississippi is a wonderful place, for certain kinds of people. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Missi...e/126100860529 It takes a whole array of innate personal qualities, to do well in Mississippi, which many people simply do not have. The people who do well frequently grow and can their own produce. I know PLENTY of Mississippi multimillionaires who have vegetable gardens, fruit trees, pots of kitchen herbs on the patio - a clump of garlic here, a fig tree there... And they know how to order food from catalogues (and now, online), if there's something they can't find locally. Can't find a five pound bag of barley? ORDER IT. http://www.montanaflour.com/store/kamut/ Sugar in the commercial tomato sauce? Make your own! But, like I said, that sort of lifestyle requires a certain kind of innate wiring many people simply do not have.

If you're in Mississippi and you're poor, then you are NOT one of those people with the innate qualities needed for succeeding there. You did not inherit those innate qualities. Your family are probably not the kind of people who do well there. It's a difficult environment, where most people simply do not thrive. So, try someplace entirely different. You'd be amazed how things which seemed impossible can become possible, once you've moved to a place where ordinary people can succeed.

I haven't heard of any Food Deserts in Atlanta. But if there are any, there's a nice, air-conditioned bus, to take you to the big grocery store of your choice.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 05-27-2015 at 12:36 PM..

Old 05-27-2015, 03:33 PM

There's also a concrete structure in Lambert that was used to fill steam locomotives with coal.

https://goo.gl/maps/Vp9Yq

Old 05-27-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
I know PLENTY of Mississippi multimillionaires who have vegetable gardens, fruit trees, pots of kitchen herbs on the patio - a clump of garlic here, a fig tree there...
I have a small vegetable garden and fig trees and I am not a multimillionaire by any means.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:34 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,239,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Really, evacuating Mississippi's poor to less oppressive environments in other states would make a wonderful focus for a charitable group.

Mississippi is a wonderful place, for certain kinds of people. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Missi...e/126100860529 It takes a whole array of innate personal qualities, to do well in Mississippi, which many people simply do not have. The people who do well frequently grow and can their own produce. I know PLENTY of Mississippi multimillionaires who have vegetable gardens, fruit trees, pots of kitchen herbs on the patio - a clump of garlic here, a fig tree there... And they know how to order food from catalogues (and now, online), if there's something they can't find locally. Can't find a five pound bag of barley? ORDER IT. KAMUT® brand khorasan wheat | Montana Flour & Grains Store Sugar in the commercial tomato sauce? Make your own! But, like I said, that sort of lifestyle requires a certain kind of innate wiring many people simply do not have.

If you're in Mississippi and you're poor, then you are NOT one of those people with the innate qualities needed for succeeding there. You did not inherit those innate qualities. Your family are probably not the kind of people who do well there. It's a difficult environment, where most people simply do not thrive. So, try someplace entirely different. You'd be amazed how things which seemed impossible can become possible, once you've moved to a place where ordinary people can succeed.

I haven't heard of any Food Deserts in Atlanta. But if there are any, there's a nice, air-conditioned bus, to take you to the big grocery store of your choice.
While desirable on the surface, evacuating the poor out of Mississippi wouldn't solve the problem. Those "innate qualities" you mentioned are ambition, intelligence, and a good work ethic. You need all three, plus knowledge and opportunity, to excel in life. You need at least two to advance out of the station your parents put you in.

All the people you mentioned did well once they left Mississippi, but correlation doesn't equal causation. The people you mentioned were all striving for and willing to work for a better life; they had those innate qualities. Once exposed to the better opportunities their development accelerated and they flourished.

You could relocate all the families you want: if they lack those three things they will languish on gub'mint welfare in the new location just like they are in their old location. There are ghettos in Atlanta that rival the poverty in the Delta.

The best thing we could do for the poor anywhere is educate them. It won't make any difference with the lazy, but it will open up the universe for the people with those innate qualities. Once they have the knowledge, once they realize they can get out of poverty and excel at life, they can solve the other problems on their own. Even those who choose to stay (say, to take care of relatives) can benefit. The reason why most rural poor people don't have gardens is because they don't know how to start. Teach them. Instead of just handing out EBT cards, teach classes and provide public locations and equipment for gardens.

Old 06-07-2015, 06:52 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times
I used to work part time in Kemper County at an outlying Naval Air Station there. Kemper County is designated a food desert. Kemper County has right around 10,000 people and only two significant towns, they are DeKalb and Scooba. DeKalb has ONE grocery store which has a very meager selection of foods and almost no produce section to speak of. The nearest actual grocery store would be the Walmart Supercenter or Win-Dixxie in Meridian, which is around 30-40 miles away. The locals of Kemper County definitely showed the signs of people living in a food desert, rather poor health overall and a lot more obesity than in the larger towns and cities that had more options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi