Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 09:16 AM

2,502 posts, read 4,438,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
Hell, you want to argue with me what kind of experience I am having. like it or not, enough black people are horrible to white people here that it gets noticed fast and I cant take the way white people talk about the black people. It is flat out vile. Most everyone I know that is temporary here agrees.
Under what circumstances are white people you know having interactions with black people? So many interactions that you're able to draw conclusions about how the black people treat the white people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 09:23 AM

401 posts, read 536,719 times
Hyper-religiosity does indeed factor into MS's plight. Zealot MS christians have created a culture of exclusivity -- that if you differ in opinion and persuasion, you are not welcome. That culture permeates all, through the commercial and social fabric of the state. No significant venture is going to establish business presence in a place that openly discriminates against gays, non-christians, and women in the workplace.

It wasn't too long ago that I was having lunch with some friends in Jackson when I made an off-handed comment, in passing, about evolution. Mouths fell open and food slid off of forks. You would have thought I just announced I was sleeping with my dog. The next 30 minutes involved the group angrily beating into me that women come from a rib taken from Adam, that evolution is a anti-Christian scheme employed by atheists to demoralize our country, that science has never proven evolution and that the Bible has proven the Gensis, and how my 'opinion' was offensive to them and would not be welcome in their presence in the future. Mind you, this is the same group I had been out with socially the night before, drinking heavily and not exactly behaving like pious lambs.

All of them are white collar professionals - doctors, lawyers, government relations. They are all educated with advanced degrees. And yet, when merely a mention of the word "evolution" was uttered in their presence, they quickly formed ranks to lambast the guy at the table who had a competing opinion.

And the close? "Hmmm, we had no idea you were this liberal. I'd ask you about homos, but we know where you probably stand on that issue."

People that's scary. Scary and wholly typical of your average MS'ian, educated or not. Yall need to cut that out pronto, or else no one will ever feel secure doing business in your state.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:55 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 280Tony View Post
Hyper-religiosity does indeed factor into MS's plight. Zealot MS christians have created a culture of exclusivity -- that if you differ in opinion and persuasion, you are not welcome. That culture permeates all, through the commercial and social fabric of the state. No significant venture is going to establish business presence in a place that openly discriminates against gays, non-christians, and women in the workplace.

It wasn't too long ago that I was having lunch with some friends in Jackson when I made an off-handed comment, in passing, about evolution. Mouths fell open and food slid off of forks. You would have thought I just announced I was sleeping with my dog. The next 30 minutes involved the group angrily beating into me that women come from a rib taken from Adam, that evolution is a anti-Christian scheme employed by atheists to demoralize our country, that science has never proven evolution and that the Bible has proven the Gensis, and how my 'opinion' was offensive to them and would not be welcome in their presence in the future. Mind you, this is the same group I had been out with socially the night before, drinking heavily and not exactly behaving like pious lambs.

All of them are white collar professionals - doctors, lawyers, government relations. They are all educated with advanced degrees. And yet, when merely a mention of the word "evolution" was uttered in their presence, they quickly formed ranks to lambast the guy at the table who had a competing opinion.

And the close? "Hmmm, we had no idea you were this liberal. I'd ask you about homos, but we know where you probably stand on that issue."

People that's scary. Scary and wholly typical of your average MS'ian, educated or not. Yall need to cut that out pronto, or else no one will ever feel secure doing business in your state.
I've had the exact opposite experience and I have lived in the South for 77 years.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:05 AM

401 posts, read 536,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I've had the exact opposite experience and I have lived in the South for 77 years.
That's wonderful, Southern Man. I've never lived anywhere else either. But the data is all out there, explicit. MS is the most religious state, boasts the worst public education system in the country, is ranked by numerous publications as the worst state for women, and has been recognized by outlets such as Forbes as being the most corrupt state in the union.

When I couple my experience at that table with the woeful rankings compiled by reputed sources, it all points to one thing: some serious social and governmental changes must occur in MS if it is to pull itself from the bottom of the heap.

Old 06-17-2015, 03:29 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,500,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Under what circumstances are white people you know having interactions with black people? So many interactions that you're able to draw conclusions about how the black people treat the white people?
Are you kidding me? So many people dont even try to keep it to themselves here. Be it eating out, a retail environment. The gym, at a place of business. The service industry....

Of course it isnt everyone. It probably isnt even "most" but my point is, it is more than anywhere else and it doesnt take long for people to notice it.

The rest of the country knows it. To the point that it is Mississippi's stereotype. Yet people from here will argue how untrue it is....and nothing changes. Change or keep dying.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:42 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,774,235 times
Quote:

This may be the best post I've ever read on the Mississippi Forum.

Many will be tempted to assume that you are exaggerating. Sadly, you are not. One of my mentors, who taught really advanced science courses through the University of Mississippi's School of Medicine, told me that the mentality of the students seldom was above such questions as "Who's Team is Better? State or Ole Miss?" They had PASSIONATE arguments about it. This was vitally important to them. And students challenged him, directly, in class, when he'd mention Evolution. "Finally, I just started sending them to the Dean, to discuss that matter. They don't pay me enough to deal with that."

And yes: they will crucify you for believing in Evolution/Global Warming/The Holocaust/That Poisons are Poisonous/That Radioactivity is Bad... or not believing that every word in the Bible is true ... and yet they routinely do all manner of reckless/sleazy/unhealthy things.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:34 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,895,429 times
Quote:

Poppycock. I live in Flowood, work downtown and regularly travel the coast to Desoto County. I eat in a wide variety places from the Half Shell in Gulfport to Peggy's in Philly to Beatty St. This kind a thought is NOT typical. Maybe 30 years ago, but not now. Of course it exists in pockets, but not predominantly.

Most people simply do not care enough this issue, the influence of the old school church in the state is decreasing. People still go to church, but more as a social activity than following the tenets of the King James Bible.

That's my view and I probably travel MS from north to south and east to west more than 95% reading this forum.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:43 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,500,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Poppycock. I live in Flowood, work downtown and regularly travel the coast to Desoto County. I eat in a wide variety places from the Half Shell in Gulfport to Peggy's in Philly to Beatty St. This kind a thought is NOT typical. Maybe 30 years ago, but not now. Of course it exists in pockets, but not predominantly.

Most people simply do not care enough this issue, the influence of the old school church in the state is decreasing. People still go to church, but more as a social activity than following the tenets of the King James Bible.

That's my view and I probably travel MS from north to south and east to west more than 95% reading this forum.
I dont know if it is as bad as some think it is and as a newcomer I dont know if it is changing but as a non Christian new comer, it does exist here in a more aggressively open way than most anywhere else I have observed.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:09 PM

799 posts, read 1,065,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post

Come to the Delta and say that after you leave. If you do I will call you a liar to your face. You think Desoto and Gulfport make up the whole freaking state? I think you're gullible.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:52 PM

60 posts, read 133,480 times
So sad… But these comments are really the truth about Mississippi. I really do wish the people living in the state would think another way and finally want better for themselves. That may be a hard nut to crack for a lot the native residents there though, considering many of them do not travel anywhere outside the state or the South to really learn of "another way." I'm raised in Mississippi, and I can definitely admit that religion is embedded into you. It's such a big deal there until it influences your everyday thought process, hence just look at the laws of the state. It took me leaving the state to learn better. But I was tired of mediocrity and wanted different, so that's what prompted me to go. I still do care about the state and pray that someday things will change for the better, but I'm not sure if that will happen in my lifetime. All of those people in the Mississippi government need to go. A few transplants need to run for offices there to start conditioning the minds of people to think differently. Again…a hard nut to crack. Because the education level is so low, people do not even vote intelligently there. They just vote for the name they are most used to hearing or seeing which is typically the same corrupt people who's been in position 20+ years already. Or they just don't vote at all, because they know that their votes don't really matter (corruption with districting). I agree that business avoid Mississippi because of these things.. But of course, the ones in power don't care, because they already have the money continuously flowing to their own pockets anyway. And that is the bottom line for those people in office at the end of the day… Me, me, me…and the institutions that support me.. Everyone else is screwed. That's it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi