Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 07:28 AM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times

Advertisements

I join with the "poppycock" crowd. No one has ever challenged my right to believe as I do, and I don't force my opinion on others.
People DO talk about religion a lot in Mississippi. And I disagree with most of what I hear. Usually, I just disagree quietly, but if asked I am totally honest (I believe the Bible is irrelevant).

But no food falls off forks, no one faints, and no one lunges for his phone to dial 911 when I express myself. My wife goes to church by herself and no one pickets our house; we still get invited over to her church friends' houses; and on top of that I have 2 good friends who fall in the same category as I.

Mississippi has economic problems and probably will for the foreseeable future. I encourage young people with education or ambition to spend some time someplace else. The years I spent in places like Chicago, Atlanta, and San Diego made me realize there are better things in life than all this "growth and opportunity".

The fastest growing economy is North Dakota. It's a great place with wonderful people. Go there, if it's growth you want.

Mississippi offers other things. Maybe people have to do without them in order to see what they are.

Last edited by Listener2307; 06-19-2015 at 07:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 11:40 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,500,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

Mississippi offers other things. Maybe people have to do without them in order to see what they are.
I hear that one a lot as an answer to various forms of the "mississippi sucks" question.

I think that answer is part of the problem and has a fatal flaw. The idea that "yes, Mississippi has all these problems" but we offer "Other things," (often some nebulous concept of some rural concept of slow peaceful life) is ridiculous because lots of other places offer that as well, without being surrounded by all the sucks about Mississippi.

Point being, people can find those "other things" in places much better than Mississippi. It makes that answer part of the problem. When someone from Mississippi makes that their swing at what is good about Mississippi, they fail because it isnt a selling point at all.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:34 PM

401 posts, read 536,412 times
Btw, I'm not here to disparage to Magnolia State. It's a beautiful place, dripping with history and cultural charm. I'm a native of AL . . . we're not exactly progressive thinkers either. But I've lived in MS long enough to know that there is a difference between the business climates of the two sisters. Mississippians feel very strong convictions in their beliefs, and there is nothing with that. However, they do tend to let those beliefs inform areas of their society where religious feelings should never go.

Section 265 of Article XIV of the Mississippi Constitution says that "No person who denies the existence of a Supreme Being shall hold any office in this state." Yes, MS law makes in illegal for an atheist to run for office, no matter how qualified or popular. I understand that times are changing, and that most younger Mississippians probably have more progressive and tolerant social views, religion included. But the old guard is still in power.

They run government and business, and I think it's evident that their collective, entrenched mindset clashes with the prospect of making MS more progressive. Moreover, the good ole boy nepotistic system is rarely concerned with making any social and economic changes of value; all that matters is that money and votes continue to sustain them. I believe things will change for Mississippi. I believe that in 30 years, it will be much much much better off than it is today. I believe that there are many talented young people in MS who will stay and steer the state in a different direction. Unfortunately, that day is not today, and for the time being, very antiquated and discriminatory attitudes continue to prevail.

Admittedly, my home state suffers from the same issues. But we have placed a priority on attracting new business, and while I don't know the particulars, I'd imagine that along the way, we've had to diligently take steps to assure the proprietors we are soliciting (especially the foreign ones) that our maligned history and conservative attitudes will not affect their doing business in our state period. Point being, powers that be in MS should be willing and able to check their personal feelings at the door when making laws and preparing business incentives, and not be afraid of what more liberal businesses represent.

Last edited by 280Tony; 06-19-2015 at 02:47 PM..

Old 06-19-2015, 01:56 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,244,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 280Tony View Post
Section 265 of Article XIV of the Mississippi Constitution says that "No person who denies the existence of a Supreme Being shall hold any office in this state." Yes, MS law makes in illegal for an atheist to run for office, no matter how qualified or popular.
I had to look it up, but it's true. I did not know that before today.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:06 PM

799 posts, read 1,065,682 times
Quote:
I join with the "poppycock" crowd. No one has ever challenged my right to believe as I do, and I don't force my opinion on others.
People DO talk about religion a lot in Mississippi. And I disagree with most of what I hear. Usually, I just disagree quietly, but if asked I am totally honest (I believe the Bible is irrelevant).

But no food falls off forks, no one faints, and no one lunges for his phone to dial 911 when I express myself. My wife goes to church by herself and no one pickets our house; we still get invited over to her church friends' houses; and on top of that I have 2 good friends who fall in the same category as I.

Mississippi has economic problems and probably will for the foreseeable future. I encourage young people with education or ambition to spend some time someplace else. The years I spent in places like Chicago, Atlanta, and San Diego made me realize there are better things in life than all this "growth and opportunity".

The fastest growing economy is North Dakota. It's a great place with wonderful people. Go there, if it's growth you want.

People like you are part of the problem. Keep putting your head in the sand if it makes you feel better.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyreynolds1977 View Post
People like you are part of the problem. Keep putting your head in the sand if it makes you feel better.
What a strange statement. .....

I "put my head in the sand" because no one criticizes my beliefs, no one throws rocks at me, and I generally get along?
Wow.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:50 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,894,636 times
This dude hits the nail on the head, yes people talk about it, but no burns your house down (hell most don't even exclude you from thier circle of friends) if you don't join in.

Religion is a still a big deal in the 'Sip, but influence is waning. It has little to do with what is broken in the state. Lack of planning/vision of past and current leaders, people not adapting to life after agriculture and the welfare system created in the 50s/60s70s, are but a few of the issues that are/have held us back more than religion. Competent leadership would not have put two major universities 90 miles apart and competent leadership should have combined these two somewhere along the way (this probably could have been done as late as the 70s), but that is kind of leadership that HAS governed MS.

Quote:

Old 06-19-2015, 06:18 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
If Mississippi wants an influx of tech industries, liberalizing marijuana laws might be a start. Possession of more than an ounce is still a felony? That's prehistoric. Even the FBI recognizes the connection between coders and smoking pot, and is willing to hire hackers who use it:

FBI Director says considering changing drug employment rules.

Old 06-19-2015, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
If Mississippi wants an influx of tech industries, liberalizing marijuana laws might be a start. Possession of more than an ounce is still a felony? That's prehistoric. Even the FBI recognizes the connection between coders and smoking pot, and is willing to hire hackers who use it:

FBI Director says considering changing drug employment rules.
We'll pass.

The government spends millions trying to convince people not to smoke. To turn right around and tell them it's OK to inhale poisonous carcinogenic fumes once they are 21 is a bad idea.

The idea that a state should legalize marijuana in order to attract tech industries is about the nuttiest idea I have heard. First it's "medical marijuana'; then it's "tax money"; now it's "to attract jobs". Fact is, some people just want to smoke dope. Go where it's legal, is all I can advise.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:38 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Quote:
We'll pass.
Who is "we"? Guess you don't speak for everybody:

Effort to legalize marijuana underway in Mississippi | WREG.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi